Autoit and High CPU usage

Alexxander

Hi all

everything that i put in the while loop in a non GUI script is making the CPU usage over 25 %

if i used _ispressed or hotkeyset or string funcs or pretty much everything except sleep() is making it 25%

for example try this  "

#include <Misc.au3>
$dll = DllOpen("user32.dll")
While 1
If _IsPressed("0D", $dll) Then enter()
WEnd
func enter()
    msgbox(0, "", "enter")
EndFunc

this small script is making the CPU usage 31% 

this is happening not only on my PC 

how can i make CPU usage much less without using sleep ()    ?

cuz i have some scripts athe really 100 ms or less matters

thanks in advanced

• Moderators

Alexxander,

Sleep(10) is what I use to keep tight loops from frying the CPU - if that short a pause causes you problems than you probably need to use another language. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

try to use GUIGetMsg()

description from helpfile:

"This function automatically idles the CPU when required so that it can be safely used in tight loops without hogging all the CPU."

and in:

GUI Reference - MessageLoop Mode 

"Usually a tight loop like the one shown would send the CPU to 100% - fortunately the GUIGetMsg function automatically idles the CPU when there are no events waiting. Do not put a manual sleep in the loop for fear of stressing the CPU - this will only cause the GUI to become unresponsive."

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

As I mentioned the last time you said this, without a GUI GUIGetMsg is useless. Use a short sleep as suggested.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

sorry @BrewManNH

With all due respect, if you did the test?

Because i did tests
following two scripts

first script: a non-stop 50% of the CPU
#include <Misc.au3>
While 1
WEnd
Func enter()
    MsgBox(0, "", "enter")
EndFunc   ;==>enter

second script: max 1% of the CPU
#include <Misc.au3>
While 1
    GUIGetMsg()
WEnd
Func enter()
    MsgBox(0, "", "enter")
EndFunc   ;==>enter

AutoIt 3.3.8.1
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Intel ® Core 2 Duo CPU P8700@2.53GHz, 2534 MHz, cores: 2 logical CPUs: 2

please test it on your system, and confirm or deny my findings
Edited by mlipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

I'm not saying it doesn't work, what I said was it was pointless to use the function like that. There's no GUI so no need to use GUIGetMsg when a simple Sleep does the same thing. Why over-complicate things by using a function incorrectly, when there's a function that is purpose-built to do it?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

sorry @BrewManNH

With all due respect, if you did the test?

Because i did tests
following two scripts

first script: a non-stop 50% of the CPU
#include <Misc.au3>
While 1
WEnd
Func enter()
    MsgBox(0, "", "enter")
EndFunc   ;==>enter

second script: max 1% of the CPU
#include <Misc.au3>
While 1
    GUIGetMsg()
WEnd
Func enter()
    MsgBox(0, "", "enter")
EndFunc   ;==>enter

AutoIt 3.3.8.1
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Intel ® Core 2 Duo CPU P8700@2.53GHz, 2534 MHz, cores: 2 logical CPUs: 2

please test it on your system, and confirm or deny my findings

Yes when i put GUIGetMsg() in  my script the CPU usage decreased from  30%  to 4%

but i still find it too much for a super small script

i can't understand why mr.

BrewManNH

keep finding it "useless" or "pointless"

anyways thanks a lot 

mlipok

There's no GUI so no need to use GUIGetMsg when a simple Sleep does the same thing.

if you do not using:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI=y

then

AutoIt always create GUI

see in 

AutoItWinSetTitle Beta HelpFile

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    ; Set the title of of the AutoIt Hidden Window.
    AutoItWinSetTitle("My AutoIt Window")

; Display AutoIt's Hidden Window.
    AutoItWinShow()

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

; Display AutoIt"s Hidden Window. Returns the handle of the window.
Func AutoItWinShow()
    Local $hWnd = WinGetHandle(AutoItWinGetTitle()) ; Get the handle of the AutoIt Hidden Window by finding out the title of the AutoIt Hidden Window.
    WinMove($hWnd, "", (@DesktopWidth / 2) - 250, (@DesktopHeight / 2) - 250, 500, 500) ; Move the AutoIt Hidden Window and re-size for a better view.
    WinSetState($hWnd, "", @SW_SHOW) ; Show the AutoIt Hidden Window, normally this is hidden, but in the interest of this example I"m displaying it.
    Return $hWnd
EndFunc   ;==>AutoItWinShow

So there is a GUI, but mostly about him does not remember.

At least, I think that about this.
If anyone has other thoughts, then I be happy to take them.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Moderators

And a sleep(10) will reduce it the same. I don't know how lousy a CPU you have, but it took 29% on mine without the sleep. Adding the sleep took it down to 3%.

@mlipok - just because by some chance GUIGetMsg works in this case doesn't mean using a GUI function in a non-GUI script is good coding practice. If you're going to "help" forum users, you should be suggesting the right tool for the job. Why complicate matters when a simple sleep will work?

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Developers

@mlipok,

Using GUIGetMsg() is not the correct advice and is confusing. You should use sleep(xx) in stead as suggested by BrewManNH and JLogan3o13.

The fact that AutoIt3 creates a hidden GUI doesn't bare any relation to using GUIGetMsg().

Yes when i put GUIGetMsg() in  my script the CPU usage decreased from  30%  to 4%

but i still find it too much for a super small script

i can't understand why mr.

BrewManNH

keep finding it "useless" or "pointless"

anyways thanks a lot 

mlipok

You clearly haven't understood anything suggested by BrewManNH and JLogan3o13 so maybe you should read it again before making these dumb statements. ;)

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

I have to admit credit goes to BrewManNH for (properly) suggesting Sleep in both this and the previous topic. I just had to add my 2 cents as to how dumb it is suggesting the wrong tool :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

• Moderators

mlipok,

I entirely agree with JLogan3o13 - there is no point in using GUIGetMsg unless you are looking to get a return from the message system about an actioned control as it is purely by chance that there is a built-in delay within the function to prevent the CPU getting overheated. If there is no GUI being used by a MessageLoop mode script itself then there is no point in suggesting that people use the GUIGetMsg function rather than the function designed to pause the script. The fact that there is always a hidden Autoit GUI has nothing to do with anything - that is a just requirement of AutoIt to access the system.

Using GUIGetMsg to reduce CPU load in any other form of script is only going to confuse. Think about an OnEvent script - would you suggest using GUIGetMsg inside its idle loop? Of course not - you would suggest Sleep. So please do not continue with this approach which risks the opposite of what we should aim to do - clarify AutoIt coding for those who seek help here. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

All right.

I took all the attention, to my knowledge.

I'll try to think about it thoroughly.
Of course, I no longer suggest such solutions.

Though it is possible that at some unspecified time in the distant future, I will ask a more precise question, of course, in a separate thread.
I hope that edit: if not in this case, not offended at me, just as I hope not offended now.

Greetings to all and I apologize for putting confusion.
Edited by mlipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Moderators

mlipok,

Though it is possible that at some unspecified time in the distant future, I will ask a more precise question, of course, in a separate thread

Please do. :)

I hope that in this case, not offended at me, just as I hope not offended now

No-one should feel offended - all we are trying to do is make sure that the best advice is given to those seeking help here. ;)

M23

Spoiler

• 4 years later...

This thread is nearly 5 years old. Don’t necro old threads just to say ‘thks’ ;) 

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

@diehardfans Also GUIGetMsg is only useful if you have an active GUI created by the script, else use Sleep(10) like it has be said many times previously in this thread

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

• Moderators
10 hours ago, diehardfans said:

guigetmsg() is the key, thks

Not only did you resurrect a very old post, but you completely missed the point of it. Please read through it again, and please refrain from bringing old posts back to life, especially when you are adding nothing to the conversation.