FileGetAttrib("C:") returns surprising result

mrider

Greetings:

I searched forum and didn't find this - however I'm willing to concede that this is probably a "you didn't search well enough" problem.

The following code shows a different answer for "C:" than "C:" (see image at bottom of page):

MsgBox(0, "Attribs", FileGetAttrib("C:") & @LF & FileGetAttrib("C:\"))

However, the following C code does not:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <Windows.h>

void print_attributes(const char * file) {
    DWORD attribs = GetFileAttributes(file);
    if(attribs == INVALID_FILE_ATTRIBUTES) {
        printf("%s did not return valid attributes\n", file);
    } else {
        printf("%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c%c\n",
            (attribs & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_READONLY)   ? 'R' : ' ',
            (attribs & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE)    ? 'A' : ' ',
            (attribs & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM)     ? 'S' : ' ',
            (attribs & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN)     ? 'H' : ' ',
            (attribs & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL)     ? 'N' : ' ',
            (attribs & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY)  ? 'D' : ' ',
            (attribs & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE)    ? 'O' : ' ',
            (attribs & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_COMPRESSED) ? 'C' : ' ',
            (attribs & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY)  ? 'T' : ' '
        );
    }
}

int main(void) {
    print_attributes("C:");
    print_attributes("C:\\");
    return 0;
}

So what gives?

(BTW, Windows XP 32 bit, SP3, pretty much all latest patches and hotfixes...)

(BTW2, the C code shows S, H, and D for both)

post-4896-0-48645900-1380226426_thumb.jp

Edited by mrider

How's my riding? Dial 1-800-Wait-There

Trying to use a computer with McAfee installed is like trying to read a book at a rock concert.

C: is the root of drive C:, whereas C: is the current directory the working directory is currently set to.

MsgBox(0, "Attribs", FileGetAttrib("C:") & @LF & FileGetAttrib("C:\") & @LF & FileGetAttrib(@WorkingDir))

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I only actually rely in the "D", so my code works and this doesn't cause me any problems whatsoever.  But I guess what I found surprising is that AutoIt and the Windows API return different things.  I would have expected AutoIt to use the Windows API.

However, looking more closely at the API for GetFileAttributes, I see that the minimum client is Windows XP.  So presumably AutoIt uses an older API that I don't know about (I almost never write C in Windows...).

C: is the root of drive C:, whereas C: is the current directory the working directory is currently set to.

That makes sense in light of the fact that the AutoIt developers are probably using a different API call than I am.  :)

Edited by mrider

Trying to use a computer with McAfee installed is like trying to read a book at a rock concert.

When I ran your C code from the first post I get this as the output.

D

SH D

They both give the same results on my Win7 x64 machine.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Where are you running your C compiled executable from? The working directory will make a difference.

I don't understand that, considering that I have "C:" and "C:" hard-coded.  However, I'm certainly willing to throw it into a few different directories to see what happens...

As I say, this isn't a problem for me.  Just something that I found surprising.

Since 'C:' refers to the current working directory, it doesn't matter that it's hard coded. So if you run the example from the root of drive C:, in that case C: and C: are equivalent. But if you run it anywhere else, you should see the difference.