Beta stability and usage environment.

Is the beta version of Autoit stable? I notice there are a few UDF cropping up that require the beta and so I was wondering are people already using the beta for their scripting? Is it stable enough? Also are there any ideas on how long it will be before the new version goes final?

• Moderators

Morthawt,

Beta versions are, by definition, not entirely stable - so the short answer to your question would have to be "No". But I have been running the Betas as soon as they are released (and sometimes a little before as well! ;)) and there seem to be few problems with the current one. As you can run the Beta alongside the last release version without causing any difficulties at all (SciTE4AutoIt3 even develops a whole new set of menu options to distinguish between them) I would suggest doing that and trying it out for yourself - besides the more people who use the Beta the better workout it gets and the more stable will be the final release. :)

And as to when that will be....only Jon knows. But I do not think it is too far off. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I did test it out for a short time and was impressed with the whole variable for function calling. But I got into a mess when i was using the swap tool to swap from beta to release but I could tell no difference, then it got screwed up and wouldn't swap to the release version and everything was all messed up. Tidy would constantly crash. I figured it would be just something I did relating to swapping from one to another perhaps?

Nice, I hope it is soon. I love autoit so much because I have no patience to learn a massive high level programming language, so when I know there is a new version coming soon it is like a kid waiting for christmas to come lol.

• Moderators

Morthawt,

But I got into a mess when i was using the swap tool to swap from beta to release

What "swap tool"? And why on earth do you need one? :huh:

When you install the Beta it goes into a separate subfolder within the main AutoIt folder and there is no interaction at all between the 2 installations. As I mentioned, SciTE4AutoIt3 creates a whole raft of new menu items so that you can choose which of them to use. If you do find problems with the associated tools, then I suggest you download the Beta versions from here - Jos does a excellent job in keeping them up-to-date to match the new Betas. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

There is a some kind of a swap tool that comes when you install the beta. The context menus in windows change and everything I think because it was all screwed up in the end and locked on to the beta version and it wouldn't swap back. That coupled with the tidy crashes just made me uninstall all of autoit and scite and reinstall.

• Moderators

Morthawt,

There is a some kind of a swap tool that comes when you install the beta

News to me. As I explained above, the Beta just installs itself in a subfolder of the main AutoIt installation. There is certainly no added "swap tool" that i have ever seen or heard of - and my context menus stay just as they were. :wacko:

Can you be more specific? What is this tool called? How do you use it? What does it do? And do you carry out a standard install using the files available from this site or do you do some sort of personalised version? :huh:

M23

Spoiler

"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Beta\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Beta\Extras\Toggle AU3 beta.au3"

I was using that back and forth and some how it screwed me all up so it put me off continuing with the beta.

• Moderators

Morthawt,

Thanks for pointing that out - I had never even seen it before. You never stop learning. :D

But as I said, why bother with it when SciTE4AutoIt3 allows you to use both release and beta versions with no "switching" required? I have been running Betas for many years without ever needing this "switch tool" and never had any problems getting "locked" into one version. So why not install the full SciTE package and try for yourself. ;)

M23

Spoiler