Change Firefox auto update

Hi,

After searching online for a way to enable auto update for Firefox I came across this code for disabling auto update. I just want to get rid of any message boxes a user might see. Not quite sure how $Message relates to MsgBox. I am assuming they don't relate to one another, but I don't know AutoIT. I just want to reverse engineer this so that auto update is on and no message boxes are displayed to the user.

; This program will set firefox to not auto-update itself

$debug=False

; wait for Firefox to close because the prefs.js will be overwritten when Firefox closes and the changes we make will be lost
ProcessWaitClose("firefox.exe")

If FileExists( @AppDataDir & "\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini" ) Then
	$var = IniRead(@AppDataDir & "\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini", "Profile0", "Path", "NotFound")
Else
	Exit
EndIf

; replace the / in the Path with a backslash
$var = StringReplace($var,"/","\")
$preffile = @AppDataDir & "\Mozilla\Firefox\" & $var & "\prefs.js"

; if the file exists then open it
if FileExists( $preffile ) Then
	$fh = FileOpen( $preffile, 0 )
	$message = FileRead( $fh )
	FileClose( $fh )
	; if the string doesn't exist we need to add it otherwise we make sure it is set to false
	If StringInStr( $message, "app.update.enabled" ) Then
		; check to see if it is already false... if so just Exit
		If StringInStr( $message, "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", true);" ) Then
			$message = StringReplace( $message, "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", true)", "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", false)")
			$update=True
		Else
			; it is already false so just Exit
			Exit
		EndIf
	Else
		$message = StringReplace( $message, " */" & @CRLF & @CRLF,  " */" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", false);" & @CRLF )
		$update=True
	EndIf
Else
	Exit
	; $message = "Prefs file does not exist."
EndIf

If $debug Then MsgBox(4096, "Result", $message)

If $update Then
	; we need to update the file
	$fh = FileOpen($preffile, 2)
	; Check if file opened for writing OK
	If $fh = -1 Then
		MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
		Exit
	EndIf
	FileWrite($fh, $message)
	FileClose($fh)
EndIf

Thanks.

If you set

$debug = True

then you will see the Msgbox show at this line

If $debug Then MsgBox(4096, "Result", $message)

with the value of $message in it. $message contains the read contents of

@AppDataDir & "\Mozilla\Firefox\" & $var & "\prefs.js"

that has been modified by the String* functions.

If you want no MsgBoxes then try this that has minor changes made.

; wait for Firefox to close because the prefs.js will be overwritten when Firefox closes and the changes we make will be lost
ProcessWaitClose("firefox.exe")

If FileExists( @AppDataDir & "\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini" ) Then
    $var = IniRead(@AppDataDir & "\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini", "Profile0", "Path", "NotFound")
Else
    Exit 1
EndIf

; replace the / in the Path with a backslash
$var = StringReplace($var,"/","\")
$preffile = @AppDataDir & "\Mozilla\Firefox\" & $var & "\prefs.js"

; if the file exists then open it
if FileExists( $preffile ) Then
    $fh = FileOpen( $preffile, 0 ) ; read
    If $fh = -1 Then Exit 2
    $message = FileRead( $fh )
    FileClose( $fh )
    ; if the string doesn't exist we need to add it otherwise we make sure it is set to false
        ; check to see if it is already false... if so just Exit
        If StringInStr( $message, "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", true);" ) Then
            $message = StringReplace( $message, "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", true)", "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", false)")
            $update = True
        Else
            ; it is already false so just Exit
            Exit
        EndIf
    Else
        $message = StringReplace( $message, " */" & @CRLF & @CRLF,  " */" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", false);" & @CRLF )
        $update = True
    EndIf
Else
    Exit 3
    ; $message = "Prefs file does not exist."
EndIf

If $update Then
    ; we need to update the file
    $fh = FileOpen($preffile, 2) ; erase
    ; Check if file opened for writing OK
    If $fh = -1 Then Exit 4
    FileWrite($fh, $message)
    FileClose($fh)
EndIf

:)

Hi,

Thanks. Do I have this right for the purposes of checking to see if its false and then setting it to true?

; if the string doesn't exist we need to add it otherwise we make sure it is set to true
		; check to see if it is already true... if so just Exit
		If StringInStr( $message, "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", false);" ) Then
			$message = StringReplace( $message, "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", false)", "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", true)")
			$update=True
		Else
			; it is already true so just Exit
			Exit
		EndIf
	Else
		$message = StringReplace( $message, " */" & @CRLF & @CRLF,  " */" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "user_pref(""app.update.enabled"", true);" & @CRLF )
		$update=True

I am not sure I followed the code correctly to change it where it needed to be changed.

Edited by Briandr

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know Google Chrome will auto update itself whenever a new version is released, but in the event a user disables it is there any spin I could put on the above script for enabling auto update for Firefox so that it works in the same manner as Google Chrome?

Thanks.

Hi,

I know Google Chrome will auto update itself whenever a new version is released, but in the event a user disables it is there any spin I could put on the above script for enabling auto update for Firefox so that it works in the same manner as Google Chrome?

Thanks.

The 2 browsers use completely different methods for turning on/off Auto Update. See this link to see how to enable/disable it in Chrome.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I was hoping there might be a config file (like Firefox has) that controls the settings as opposed to a registry setting. Not sure if a reboot would be required. With the registry usually a reboot is required. It looks like this would have to be scripted out from sratch. I was hoping to avoid a re-write.

I don't want Firefox updates turned off. If you read further up in this thread someone on the boards provided me a script that will turn them on, in the event they are off. Read MHz's reply and then further up you will see my original question.