Basic Design Program

I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone would be able to help. Here's the prologue: I have to manually edit some style sheets where I work and they are quite time consuming. I would like to create an application that would allow me to draw rectangles, squares and tables without having to manually edit the x/y coordinates of the style pages each time I need to make changes. When I draw a square, I want it to automatically update the coordinates in the code (from a standard text document). The size of the pages are 8.5x11.

This seems like such a simple concept, I just don't know where to begin and I have no programming experience (though I have a general idea of how it works). So my questions are, 1) is this a good first programing project? 2) is this very difficult? 3) does anyone have any suggestions or shortcuts for me?

This would be an incredible relief for me at my job. These styles can take all day and I am required to do them as I answer technical support calls throughout the day. It's hard to give it my undivided attention. I understand this question might be weighty, but any help is appreciated.