Is it possible to simulate a dual-projector slide show using AutoIt?

timmy2

To save future readers a little sweat I'm editing my original post to insert the following:

After trying various suggested scripting approaches, some of which introduced new problems and some which had the same problem described here, I tried my script and a few others on another computer. No white flashes, tears, glitches. So I brought it back to my main box and disabled the Intel GPU that was feeding a 3rd monitor. Down to two monitors connected to a single NVidia GPU the visual glitches disappeared. Who would'a thought?!

That said, some of the replies that follow provide valuable insights into the various ways to skin this cat using AutoIt.  Some suggested scripts introduced new problems so they might be instructive about approaches to avoid. Ultimately, JohnOne suggested an elegantly simple script that perfectly accomplishes my goal.

---------------------

I want to display a  800x600 picture (i.e., not full-screen) without a border, close-box, title, etc.  I then want to replace that picture with another one -- cleanly. Think of an old-fashioned dual-projector slide show where there's no black-out or other interruption to the image on screen. This way I can start with a background image, then add elements to it seamlessly (once called "a build", i.e., pseudo-animation).  The image format doesn't matter to me.

I can't use an animated GIF or video because my code is doing things in the background between images, so timing varies.

I'm having bad luck using an AutoIt form to accomplish this (GUICtrlCreatePic, followed by subsequent GUICtrlSetImage's).  The result is a glitch -- usually a white flash or tear in the picture -- at almost every image change. (see 10/10/13 post entitled "random visual glitch when using GUICtrlSetImage"). So I guess that's out.

SplashImageOn  blanks out the first image before displaying the next (like a single-projector slide show), so it's not seamless -- plus there's still a tiny border visible.

$var = Default

SplashImageOn("","image1.bmp",$var,$var,$var,$var,1)
sleep(2000)
SplashImageOn("","image2.bmp",$var,$var,$var,$var,1)
sleep(2000)
SplashImageOn("","image3.bmp",$var,$var,$var,$var,1)
sleep(2000)

Any suggestions?

Edited by timmy2

Have you tried using a borderless gui? I'm pretty sure images can be loaded and layered using GDI+

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

Have you tried using a borderless gui? I'm pretty sure images can be loaded and layered using GDI+

Thank you for replying, kaotkbliss. 

Could you give me a simple example?   As I mentioned in my original post I've tried GuiCreate/GuiCtrlCreatePic/GuiCtrlSetImage but every GuiCtrlSetImage causes a tear/white flash in the image area -- so it's not clean. 

Maybe "GDI+" is different but I wouldn't know which "_GDIPlus..." commands would be applicable. Moreover, the help file seems a bit cryptic in this area. For example, "_GDIPlus_BitmapCreateFromFile" might be useful but I see no mention of options to make the GUI borderless, and the included example is rather complex and deals with saving a screen capture in a typical gui box.

Plus, I'm concerned that I could pursue trying to learn enough about GDI+ to replace what I did (see below) using the aforementioned GUI commands and end up discovering the result has similar problems.  I'm really surprised GUICtrlSetImage can't display an image over an existing one without tearing.

$form=GUICreate("Test",900,530,518,272, BitOR($WS_SYSMENU,$WS_POPUP), 0)
$cid=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\imagebackground.bmp", 0,0, 900, 530)
GuiCtrlSetState($cid,$GUI_DISABLE)

$PSimage=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image1.bmp", 0,0,900,530)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)  ;show 1st image
MsgBox(0,"","test")    ;simulate doing some background business before next image is displayed

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage, @ScriptDir & "\image2.bmp") ;show 2nd image
MsgBox(0,"","test")

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage,@ScriptDir & "\image3.bmp")  ;show 3rd image
MsgBox(0,"","test")

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage,@ScriptDir & "\image4.bmp")  'show 4th image
MsgBox(0,"","test")

Exit
Edited by timmy2

Also it might work better in a gui instead of splash, look into popup and borderless (can't remember the exact combination off hand but there's tons of examples here in the forums) styles for the guicreate options. Also, you can make the gui completely transparent if you have any troubles with edges

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

You're probably thinking of the $WS_POPUP style for the GUI?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

:huh2: Why not actually do it the way a two projector setup would.

Load slide 1 in projector 1

turn on projector 1 lamp

load slide 2 in projector 2

wait for slide advance

turn on projector 2 lamp

turn off projector 1 lamp

load slide 3 in projector 1

wait for slide advance

etc...

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$PSimage1=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image1.bmp", 0,0,900,530) ;load slide 1 for 'projector' 1
GUICtrlSetState($PSimage1, @SW_SHOW) ;show 'projector' 1

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $form) ; start showing it

$PSimage2=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image2.bmp", 0,0,900,530) ;load slide 2 for 'projector' 2
GUICtrlSetState($PSimage1, @SW_HIDE) ;hide 'projector' 2

MsgBox(0, "slideshow", "slide 1") ;wait for slide advance

GUICtrlSetState($PSimage2, @SW_SHOW) ;show 'projector' 2
GUICtrlSetState($PSimage1, @SW_HIDE) ;hide 'projector' 1
GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage1,@ScriptDir & "\image3.bmp") ;load slide 3 for 'projector; 1

MsgBox(0, "slideshow", "slide 2") ;wait for slide advance

GUICtrlSetState($PSimage2, @SW_HIDE) ;hide 'projector' 2
GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage2,@ScriptDir & "\image4.bmp") ;load slide 4 for 'projector; 2

MsgBox(0, "slideshow", "slide 3") ;wait for slide advance

;GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage1,@ScriptDir & "\image5.bmp") ;load slide 5 for 'projector; 1

MsgBox(0, "slideshow", "slide 4") ;wait for slide advance

Exit

No flash on my system when I tested it.

Edited by willichan

post-76101-0-58802900-1381553047_thumb.jpost-76101-0-07246100-1381553048_thumb.jpost-76101-0-50418100-1381553048_thumb.jpost-76101-0-77722600-1381553048_thumb.j

Thank you for the comprehensive reply!

The only problem with your script is that image3.jpg doesn't display. I've stared at the script for 15 minutes and feel like an idiot because your script is so simple and makes perfect sense, yet image4.jpg appears for "Slide 3" and for "Slide 4".  I've attached the sample images (jpeg's to keep file sizes small).  I did a search/replace in your script to replace .bmp with .jpg. Please try running this script with my images and tell me if you get the same result.  And, thank you again.

$PSimage1=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image1.jpg", 0,0,900,530) ;load slide 1 for 'projector' 1

$PSimage2=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image2.jpg", 0,0,900,530) ;load slide 2 for 'projector' 2
GUICtrlSetState($PSimage1, @SW_HIDE) ;hide 'projector' 2

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage1,@ScriptDir & "\image3.jpg") ;load slide 3 for 'projector; 1

GUICtrlSetState($PSimage2, @SW_HIDE) ;hide 'projector' 2
GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage2,@ScriptDir & "\image4.jpg") ;load slide 4 for 'projector; 2

;GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage1,@ScriptDir & "\image5.jpg") ;load slide 5 for 'projector; 1

Exit

$PSimage4=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image4.jpg", 0,0,900,530) ;load slide 1 for 'projector' 1
$PSimage3=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image3.jpg", 0,0,900,530)
$PSimage2=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image2.jpg", 0,0,900,530)
$PSimage1=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image1.jpg", 0,0,900,530)

GUICtrlDelete($PSimage1)

GUICtrlDelete($PSimage2)

GUICtrlDelete($PSimage3)

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

@JohnOne - cleaner way of doing it:

$form = GUICreate("Test", 900, 530, 518, 272, BitOR($WS_SYSMENU, $WS_POPUP), 0)

Global $PSimages[4]
For $i = UBound($PSimages) - 1 To 0 Step -1
    $PSimages[$i] = GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image" & $i + 1 & ".jpg", 0, 0, 900, 530)
Next

For $i = 0 To UBound($PSimages) - 1
    MsgBox(0, "slideshow", "slide " & $i + 1) ;wait for slide advance
    GUICtrlDelete($PSimages[$i])
Next
Edited by DatMCEyeBall

"Just be fred, all we gotta do, just be fred."  -Vocaliod

"That is a Hadouken. A KAMEHAMEHA would have taken him 13 days and 54 episodes to form." - Roden Hoxha

@tabhooked

Clock made of cursors ♣ Desktop Widgets ♣ Water Simulation

Pre-loading all of the images works well if there are only a small set, but if the slideshow has a lot of images, you will be using more memory that you may want to.

@timmy2:  I'll take a look at it.

datmc result.zippost-76101-0-34698600-1381599622_thumb.jpost-76101-0-77341400-1381599622_thumb.jpost-76101-0-27482500-1381599623_thumb.jpost-76101-0-60130000-1381599623_thumb.j

Thank you DatMCEyeBall and John One.  Using the jpegs I provided previously both of your scripts work with rarely a glitch (the exception being an occasional white flash before the first image ).

BUT... when I substitute my actual photographs, or even slightly more demanding images, problems become visible.  (Note that my Windows 8 background is a solid color: 80,80,80, in case that's a factor.)

DatMCEyeBall's script exhibits three problems:

1. the occasional white flash or tear before the first image, between images, and after the last image. See the attached Camtasia recording.

2. with the attached images you see all four images briefly load at the start

3. as you click through them you see a brief preview of the slide that will follow. I'll have to describe this issue because I couldn't capture it with Camtasia:  run the script, click OK on the first msg box, after that you'll see "Image 3" appear briefly followed by the desired "Image 2".  Likewise, "Image 4" appears briefly before "Image 3". This suggests that JohnOne's idea of loading up all four images ("controls") and removing them one by one allows controls underneath to briefly appear at each slide change.

I hope you don't take the foregoing as criticism; I created this post because I couldn't avoid the glitches between images with my code so I figured folks here with far more experience would know the secret recipe.  For me to try to learn GDI+ as one contributor suggested is daunting if it's just going to end up yielding the same problems, so I greatly appreciate the example code DatMCEyeBall and JohnOne provided.

Come to think of it, I should try this on another computer. The one I'm working on, albeit a zippy SSD-based 32GB I7-3770 with 3 monitors, is using a combination of an Nvidia card for two monitors and the built-in Intel GPU for the one that the script is running on. I'll try it on another less complicated rig and report back.(But since Camtasia captures the flashes I suspect these problems are hardware independent.)

Edited by timmy2

Try this ex style

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

$form=GUICreate("Test",900,530,518,272,BitOR($WS_SYSMENU,$WS_POPUP),$WS_EX_COMPOSITED)

$PSimage=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image1.jpg", 0,0,900,530)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
MsgBox(0,"","test")

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage, @ScriptDir & "\image2.jpg")
MsgBox(0,"","test")

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage,@ScriptDir & "\image3.jpg")
MsgBox(0,"","test")

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage,@ScriptDir & "\image4.jpg")
MsgBox(0,"","test")

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Try this ex style

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

$form=GUICreate("Test",900,530,518,272,BitOR($WS_SYSMENU,$WS_POPUP),$WS_EX_COMPOSITED)

$PSimage=GUICtrlCreatePic(@ScriptDir & "\image1.jpg", 0,0,900,530)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
MsgBox(0,"","test")

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage, @ScriptDir & "\image2.jpg")
MsgBox(0,"","test")

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage,@ScriptDir & "\image3.jpg")
MsgBox(0,"","test")

GUICtrlSetImage($PSimage,@ScriptDir & "\image4.jpg")
MsgBox(0,"","test")

Magnifique!  Seamless display of my actual images as well as all test images. No artifacts. No flashes. Nada.  Thank you, JohnOne! (would it help other readers for you to explain in simple terms why the "GUI double buffering" solved the problems -- if indeed that was the sole solution?)

um6i.jpg

Edited by timmy2