How to Convert a Webpage(HTML) to Text?

Zohar

Hi

Let's say I have a URL to some Webpage,

and I want to get only the Text from that Webpage.

I can get the Webpage's content via InetRead(),

but how do I then get only the Text, and not all the Tags, Attributes, etc?

Thank you

Edited by Zohar

Search for "HTML Strip"

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Hi Zohar

take a look in the help file to the _IEBodyReadText() function of the ie.au3 UDF

this is the example from the help:

; *******************************************************
; Example 1 - Open a browser with the basic example, read the body Text
; (the content with all HTML tags removed) and display it in a MsgBox
; *******************************************************

#include <IE.au3>

Local $oIE = _IE_Example("basic")
Local $sText = _IEBodyReadText($oIE)
MsgBox(0, "Body Text", $sText)

bye

Edited by PincoPanco

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

Hi guinness and PincoPanco

PincoPanco:

IEBodyReadText() is usually great, but this time I don't have an IE Window open..

(I am using InetRead(), and working with the returned string..)

So I want to do this in code, without opening an IE Window..

Is it possible?

I viewed IEBodyReadText()'s source code, and in it, it has:

$o_object.document.body.innerText

Can I somehow create a Document object, without creating an IE Window?

That way I can supply it with the HTML, and then get the Text outof it, via .body.innerText

guinness:

I will search now for what you wrote..

(but still I am curious regarding my previous question about the possibility to work with a Document object, without creating an IE Window.. so If anyone knows, please tell..)

Thank you

Edited by Zohar

Hi somdcomputerguy

Yes I know, but I am hoping to avoid creating an IE Window at all..

(even an invisible one)

If anyone knows whether I can instantiate a Document object somehow, it'll be useful.

Maybe there is a way by using ObjCreate()?

Edited by Zohar

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

#include <Array.au3>
$text = BinaryToString(InetRead("http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/155354-how-to-convert-a-webpagehtml-to-text"))

$file = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & '\Name.htm', 2)
FileWrite($file, $text)
FileClose($file)

$text = StringRegExpReplace($text, '(?si)<head>.*?</head>', '')
$text = StringRegExpReplace($text, '(?si)<script[^>]*?>.*?</script>', '')
$text = StringRegExpReplace($text, '>\s+<', '> <')
; $text = StringRegExpReplace($text, '[\v]', '')
$text = StringRegExpReplace($text, '<(br|p)>', @CRLF)
$text = StringRegExpReplace($text, '<[/!]*?[^<>]*?>', '')
; $text = StringRegExpReplace($text, '<[\/\!]*?[^<>]*?>', @CRLF)
$text = StringReplace($text, '&quot;', '"')
$text = StringReplace($text, '&amp;', '&')
$text = StringReplace($text, '&lt;', '<')
$text = StringReplace($text, '&gt;', '>')
$text = StringReplace($text, '&nbsp;', ' ')
$text = StringReplace($text, '&iexcl;', '&#161;')
$text = StringReplace($text, '&cent;', '&#162;')
$text = StringReplace($text, '&pound;', '&#163;')
$text = StringReplace($text, '&copy;', '&#169;')

; &#444 -> character
$a = StringRegExp($text, '&#(\d+);', 3)
If Not @error Then
    ; $log &= UBound($a) & '   &#(\d+);' & @CRLF
    $a = _ArrayUnique($a)
    For $i = 1 To $a[0]
        $a[$i] = Number($a[$i])
    Next
    _ArraySort($a, 1, 1)
    _ArrayDisplay($a)
    For $i = 1 To $a[0]
        $text = StringReplace($text, '&#' & $a[$i] & ';', ChrW($a[$i]))
    Next
EndIf
$text = StringRegExpReplace($text, '([\r\n])[\s]+', @CRLF)
MsgBox(0, ';)', $text)

$file = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & '\Name.txt', 2)
FileWrite($file, $text)
FileClose($file)

Edited by AZJIO

Also, instead of parsing by yourself html page, you could use browser's internal method .document.body.innerText

$oIE = ObjCreate("Shell.Explorer.2")

; Create a simple invisible dummy GUI needed to create the obj
GUICreate("Dummy browser", 0, 0, 10, 10)
$GUIActiveX = GUICtrlCreateObj($oIE, 0, 0, 10, 10)

GUISetState(@SW_HIDE); hide dummy browser

$oIE.navigate("http://www.autoitscript.com") ; <-- your url here
Do
    Sleep(100)
Until Not $oIE.Busy

ConsoleWrite($oIE.document.body.innerText)
MsgBox(0, "", $oIE.document.body.innerText)

edit:

added MsgBox(0, "", $oIE.document.body.innerText) in listing

Edited by PincoPanco

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....