Need to creative minds on this...

Wombat

Sorry everyone, I replied yesterday but I guess something happened and it wasn't posted.

I have no physical access to the system and only bery limited access virtually.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE10 to no success.

It was having an issue where it would not open at all until it was set to render through the program and not the gpu.

I suspect this may have had something to do with it.

I have tried these, spent at least a week digging through google like an old dusty trunk in the attic, couldn't find anything that worked...

Just here to agree with those advising to solve, not workaround, the issue.  This would be a good candidate for a chat thread, and you could share some event logs if your company will allow.  You can always redact them, just leave what we need.

I agree I would rather know the solution that create a "band-aid" fix but having the "band-aid" until i find the fix is very helpful.

If the Mods would prefer to move this to chat than I have no problem with sharing event logs and working with the forum on this....

I'm nearing a dead-end on ideas, though i know that's due to lack of understanding and knowledge in the subject area, though it is very frustrating.

I guess it's a 64 bit  ie version issue and printer driver incompatibility
yes, now I seem to remember, I had a similar problem on printing

using IE 64 bit, gave printing problems
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe        <-- IE 64bit (on win7 x64)

using IE 32 bit, printing without problems
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe    <-- IE 32bit (also on win7 x64)

a wild guess that this is a similar case
a quick try can remove the doubt

This honestly sounds like it is the issue though I cannot believe i didn't think to test this, thank you for the suggestion I'll report back shortly.

Thank you to everyone that replied to this thread!

Just look at us.
Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Universities destroy knowledge. Governments destroy freedom. The major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality. ~ Michael Ellner

The internet is our one and only hope at a truly free world, do not let them take it from us...

Well since this is what I do for fun....( copying (stealing) other peoples code and changing it ) I had to take a stab at this.

every printer is different so that part is not included....

#include <IE.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <ScreenCapture.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include "AutoItObject.au3"

#cs

Cudos to Ward for this kick-ass script; in it's entirety can be found here
    http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/124002-web-screenshot/

I have CCP'sted the stuff I needed

Instructions : Compile and tie .exe to G-Key (additional function key) or add code for HOTKEY
    then any time you have a website you want to print, highlight the address and click the key.
    You will then have a PNG file of the website in a Dir called "temp" on your desktop

#ce
Send("^c")
$WebCap = ClipGet()

_AutoItObject_StartUp()
OnAutoItExitRegister('OnExit')

DirCreate(@DesktopDir & "\" & "temp")
WebCap($WebCap, @DesktopDir & "\" & "temp" & "\" & "webcap.png")

Func WebCap($Url, $ImageName)
    Local $hBmp = WebCapture($Url, 1280)
    _ScreenCapture_SaveImage($ImageName, $hBmp, True)
EndFunc   ;==>WebCap

Func OnExit()
    _AutoItObject_Shutdown()
EndFunc   ;==>OnExit

Func WebCapture($Url, $WebWidth = 1024)
    Local Const $DVASPECT_CONTENT = 1
    Local $tIID_IViewObject2 = _AutoItObject_CLSIDFromString("{00000127-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}")
    Local $dtagIViewObject2 = $dtagIUnknown & "Draw hresult(dword;long;ptr;ptr;dword;dword;ptr;ptr;int;dword);"
    Local $oIE = ObjCreate("Shell.Explorer.2")

GUICreate("", $WebWidth, 768, -1, -1)
    GUICtrlCreateObj($oIE, 0, 0, $WebWidth, 768)

_IENavigate($oIE, $Url)

Local $oDocument = $oIE.document
    Local $oBody = $oIE.document.body
    Local $oHtml = $oIE.document.documentElement

$oBody.scroll = "no"
    $oBody.style.borderStyle = "none"
    $oHtml.style.overflow = 'hidden'
    $oBody.style.overflow = 'hidden'

Local $oIViewObject2 = _AutoItObject_WarpInterface($oDocument, $tIID_IViewObject2, $dtagIViewObject2)
    If @error Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

Local $BodyWidth = $oBody.scrollWidth
    Local $BodyHeight = $oBody.scrollHeight
    Local $RootWidth = $oHtml.scrollWidth
    Local $RootHeight = $oHtml.scrollHeight

Local $Width = $BodyWidth
    Local $Height = $RootHeight
    If $BodyHeight > $Height Then $Height = $BodyHeight

$oIE.Width = $Width
    $oIE.Height = $Height

Local $hDC = _WinAPI_GetDC(0)
    Local $hMemDC = _WinAPI_CreateCompatibleDC($hDC)
    Local $hBmp = _WinAPI_CreateCompatibleBitmap($hDC, $Width, $Height)
    _WinAPI_SelectObject($hMemDC, $hBmp)

Local $sRECT = DllStructCreate($tagRECT)
    DllStructSetData($sRECT, "Top", 0)
    DllStructSetData($sRECT, "Left", 0)
    DllStructSetData($sRECT, "Right", $Width)
    DllStructSetData($sRECT, "Bottom", $Height)

$oIViewObject2.Draw($DVASPECT_CONTENT, -1, 0, 0, Number($hDC), Number($hMemDC), Number(DllStructGetPtr($sRECT)), 0, 0, 0)

_WinAPI_DeleteDC($hMemDC)
    _WinAPI_ReleaseDC(0, $hDC)
    Return $hBmp
EndFunc   ;==>WebCapture

Func _AutoItObject_WarpInterface($Obj, $IID, $Tag, $fNoUnknown = False)
    If Not IsDllStruct($IID) Then $IID = _AutoItObject_CLSIDFromString($IID)

If Not IsObj($Obj) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

Local $pObj = _AutoItObject_IDispatchToPtr($Obj)
    If Not _AutoItObject_IUnknownAddRef($Obj) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Local $ObjWarpped = _AutoItObject_WrapperCreate($pObj, $dtagIUnknown, $fNoUnknown)
    Local $aCall = $ObjWarpped.QueryInterface(Number(DllStructGetPtr($IID)), 0)
    If Not IsArray($aCall) And $aCall[0] <> 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

Local $pInterface = $aCall[2]
    Return _AutoItObject_WrapperCreate($pInterface, $Tag)
EndFunc   ;==>_AutoItObject_WarpInterface

BTW this script fails with the following error:

IE.au3 (561) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:
While Not (String($o_object.document.readyState) = "complete" Or $o_object.document.readyState = 4 Or $f_Abort)
While Not (String($o_object.document.readyState^ ERROR

EDIT:

Now it works(sort of) but the .png is of a IE error:

"Navigation to the webpage was canceled"

Edited by Wombat

Just look at us.
Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Universities destroy knowledge. Governments destroy freedom. The major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality. ~ Michael Ellner

The internet is our one and only hope at a truly free world, do not let them take it from us...

any progress on your problem?  how about some details:

• operating system
  • printer make & model (is it a Canon?)
  • printer driver version
  • network or local printer
  • windows/iprint/directIP printing?
  • URL of page causing issue (if publicly available)

Is it an IE only webpage or is the user just being obstinate?  If it's not IE only then using another browser would provide an immediate workaround and get you onto fixing the real problem.  Put it to the user in a way that makes them feel like it's going to benefit them to do what you say and greatly inconvenience them not to.... ;)  Remember user's startle easy, like fainting goats, so go easy on them lol

are any other users having this problem on the same website?

can the user print from other websites with this browser?

does the browser have any addons installed?

are there hung instances of IE in the process list from something crashing IE at startup?

do the event logs show any info at the time of the incident?

are there any error messages displayed?

do the jobs ever hit the print queue or not make it there at all?

any progress on your problem?  how about some details:

• operating system
  • printer make & model (is it a Canon?)
  • printer driver version
  • network or local printer
  • windows/iprint/directIP printing?
  • URL of page causing issue (if publicly available)

Is it an IE only webpage or is the user just being obstinate?  If it's not IE only then using another browser would provide an immediate workaround and get you onto fixing the real problem.  Put it to the user in a way that makes them feel like it's going to benefit them to do what you say and greatly inconvenience them not to.... ;)  Remember user's startle easy, like fainting goats, so go easy on them lol

are any other users having this problem on the same website?

can the user print from other websites with this browser?

does the browser have any addons installed?

are there hung instances of IE in the process list from something crashing IE at startup?

do the event logs show any info at the time of the incident?

are there any error messages displayed?

do the jobs ever hit the print queue or not make it there at all?

It's Windows 7 x64 professional

HP Laserjet

Forgot the driver version but it is the latest update as i updated it in attempt to solve the problem

local printer

windows printing

any URL

Basically attempting to print in IE crashes IE and it never makes it to even calling up the printing job, never reaches the spooler etc. Just immediately crashes

upon attempting to print.

This is an isolated event on this one persons system

I disabled all add-ons except for the necessary components to run

No hung processes it cleanly crashes and restarts (which is unlike anything windows makes....)

It simply says something has caused IE to crash and that IE will restart momentarily... no further info (isn't the error reporting built into IE WONDERFUL!!! *&#$%^)

But alas I spoke with the employee yesterday and they informed me they had decided to remove IE and use chrome from here on out.... so ... that's finished I guess.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this IE BS, I really do appreciate it.

Just look at us.

Sounds like a virus, malware, or something corrupted on the system. I'd have reimaged it and be done with it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator