need to send an rs232 command over ethernet via TCP

kor

We have A LOT of projectors in our enterprise. And the software that the manufacturer gives to control them is pretty crappy. The main feature we need is to turn all projectors off at a certain time. The software can't work unless its GUI is running (which isn't feasable on the server) so we need a better solution.

I was given the RS232 commands that the software sends over the network to the projectors ethernet port to shut the projectors off, but I have no idea how to reverse engineer an RS232 command over TCP.

Here is a screenshot from the manual on what I need to send. Has anyone tried to send RS232 commands over TCP?

post-48155-0-48854500-1382369006_thumb.j

It's a serial "command" going over TCP via ethernet.

It's a projector that I need to send a serial command to shut off the projector via it's network port.

The projector does not have a serial connection going into it, but the way the TCP packet needs to be structured is that it is essentially a serial command.

I would think more information on the projector and how it communicates will be required to get a better answer to the problem. The last time I tried something like this things like IP address and port was mentioned in the information given, do you see anything like that or is it a setting within the projector? If the projector is RS232 it should mention things like baud rate, stop bits and so on?

This is the board I was sending data to http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/eth008tech.htm

This is the command I used

TCPSend($ConnectedSocket, Binary("0x200132"))

This turned a relay on for a set time, you will have to take a look at the command above in the help section and see how to connect to the socket first.

You guys aren't far off.

It is a Hitachi CP-X2011N. We have about 190 of them throughout the business and our staff constantly leave them on costing thousands every year in replacement bulbs.

The baud rate wouldn't apply since the serial command is traveling over ethernet. However I do know that the port needs to be something specific which is mentioned in the PDF of the projector but I don't remember it off the top of my head. I can post the entire technical document that I took the screen shot from in my original post if it will help.

Surly this is what you need to know? 

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitachi-america.us%2Fsupportingdocs%2Fforhome%2FDisplayTechnologiesGroup%2Flcdprojectors%2FSupportingDocuments%2F11n_network_manual.pdf&ei=-TZuUuSnOc6shQfG5oCADg&usg=AFQjCNGzpLp_y3pzQbcKQROaJiBRu-SKhw&sig2=FAnMMuMK6Xry8lEIKC5AxA

It looks like you can control them via web browser (see page 45) or TCP (see page 84). Another function in the projector is auto power off if no valid video signal is received, assuming they shut the PC down!

Everything really depends on if and how they are networked in the first place if you really do want to attempt to control them. If they are not networked now adding 190 projectors to a network may not be the best way to go if all you want to do is turn them off! I would go down the path of using the serial port to control them individually from the PC they are connected to, a serial lead is far cheaper than buying managed / unmanaged switches and all the other bits to go with them.

If all else fails drum it in to the staff to turn them off, put a sign by the door as a reminder, send out a memo and tell them the last user on any PC will have their ID logged, if the projector connected to the PC is not turned off last thing they will face further action! There is no need to really monitor them usually the thought that you can works well as a reminder! 

If you can't go down that path write a little program to kill the video feed to the connected projector at 5.30pm and go with the auto turn off feature? No cost or extra wiring required!

Hope that gets you somewhere.