InetGet issues

Tjalve

Hello everyone.

Im having an issue with the InetGet function and i was hoping someone could help me provide som assiatnce.

Im writing a script that monitor serveral servers and send information about performance characterics using a webbservice, to a server. I then get a dashboard of thye health of all my serverers.

To this. Ive written a simpel update program. The idee is that the program should check online for a new version and if found, dowload and install it. In testing it all works, but in practise ive run into server issues. One was that the updater program (a separte script from the main script) was crashing when trying to unzip the downloaded zip file (witch contains the new version of thne scrips and configuration for the script). This happend at ablur 60% of all the servers.

On close inspection it seems that the InetGet function doesnt download the entire file. It just downloads about 140KB of it. Therefore the unziping of the file crashes the script.

To not crash the script, i added a check to see the size of the file befor the DL and after the DL. That works of couse, but it doesnt solve the problem. I guess it has to do with firewalls and antovirus software, softaware or somthing like that. The problem is that theese servers are on infrastracture that is out of my control. Downloading the file manually trough internet explorer seems to work though.

Any help would be appritiated.

Here is a part of my code.

$dlsize = InetGetSize ($dl4,1)
        FileWriteLine(@ScriptDir & "\verbose.log", @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & " - Updater - Downloading file: " & $dl4)
        FileWriteLine(@ScriptDir & "\verbose.log", @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & " - Updater - File is: " & $dlsize & " bytes.")
        InetGet($dl4,@TempDir & "\system.zip",1)
        sleep(2000)
        $retry = 10
        while 1
            if FileExists(@TempDir & "\system.zip") then
                if $dlsize = FileGetSize(@TempDir & "\system.zip") then
                    FileWriteLine(@ScriptDir & "\verbose.log", @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & " - Updater - Download OK")
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            Else
                FileWrite(@TempDir & "\system.zip",InetRead($dl4,1))
            EndIf
            sleep(1000)
            if $retry = 0 then
                FileWriteLine(@ScriptDir & "\verbose.log", @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & " - Updater - Download Faild")
                if $silent = 0 then MsgBox(0,"ERROR","Could not download file. Check Antivirus and firewalls.")
                Exit
            EndIf
            $retry = $retry - 1
        WEnd

I believe you might be downloading a binary file in ASCII mode, try something like this instead see if it makes any difference.

InetGet($dl4,@TempDir & "\system.zip",9) ; Binary mode

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I believe you might be downloading a binary file in ASCII mode, try something like this instead see if it makes any difference.

InetGet($dl4,@TempDir & "\system.zip",9) ; Binary mode

Thanx. Ill give it a shot.

The strange thing is that it seems to be working on some servers (including my own machine). Im also downloading a small text file (with the version information in it) and that one always download. But that might be becuase its so small perhaps. But i will try :).

I have now tested. I also did a filewritleline to see how mutch of the file has been downloaded every secound.

I get 166912 bytes everytime.

Binary dodnt help. And it seems if the file is smaller then that, it works. But i cannot be 100% sure.

Any more idees?

One thing I might suggest trying is to use FileOpen in binary and write mode before using this line:

Also, use binary mode on the InetRead line as well. FileWrite may also be failing to write the complete file correctly if it's binary data and you're trying to write it without opening the file in binary mode. Just a thought I had.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

One thing I might suggest trying is to use FileOpen in binary and write mode before using this line:

Also, use binary mode on the InetRead line as well. FileWrite may also be failing to write the complete file correctly if it's binary data and you're trying to write it without opening the file in binary mode. Just a thought I had.

you mean like this?

$filmeck = FileOpen(@TempDir & "\test.zip",18)
FileWrite($filmeck,InetRead($dl4,9))
FileClose($filmeck)

I tried that, but i just ended up with an empty zip file at 0 bytes.

Alright. Ive done som more digging. I uploaded a new file and everything worked just as it should, for a while. Now i get the same results again, but this time it stuck at 800KBs.

If feels like there is something blocking the DL. I dont know. Some kind of antivirus or somthing? Anyone have any idees?

If i just enter the URL in IE on the server. Then i can DL and save the entire file without issues.

Edited by Tjalve

• 2 months later...

Tjalve,

I have a similar issue:

Every time I utilize InetGet for a ZIP file, the saved file is 8kb (even when downloading from my local machine). I can manually enter the URL in IE and the file downloads properly. I have no problems downloading other filetypes such as PDF and TXT using InetGet.

Did you find a solution to this?

A couple of questions which may help track down the error.

Why do you call Sleep() in your script, if you're downloading synchronously (i.e. blocking until the download completes)? You haven't specified 1 for the optional "background" parameter, so presumably it is blocking as it should.

Why don't you assign the return value of the InetGet() call to a variable and check that it matches the expected size (and/or actual size)?

If the return value was zero, then have you checked the @error variable after the InetGet() call?

InetGet works fine for me for zip files.
However try this one.

Global $sPath = @ScriptDir & "\test.zip"
$sUrl = "http://download.thinkbroadband.com/20MB.zip"
FileDownload($sUrl, $sPath)
Func FileDownload($url, $SavePath)
 Local $xml, $Stream
 $xml = ObjCreate("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
 $Stream = ObjCreate("Adodb.Stream")
 $xml.Open("GET", $url, 0)
 $xml.Send
 $Stream.Type = 1
 $Stream.Open
 $Stream.write($xml.ResponseBody)
 $Stream.SaveToFile($SavePath)
 $Stream.Close
EndFunc
Edited by AutID

InetGet works fine for me for zip files.

However try this one.

Global $sPath = @ScriptDir & "\test.zip"
$sUrl = "http://download.thinkbroadband.com/20MB.zip"
FileDownload($sUrl, $sPath)
Func FileDownload($url, $SavePath)
 Local $xml, $Stream
 $xml = ObjCreate("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
 $Stream = ObjCreate("Adodb.Stream")
 $xml.Open("GET", $url, 0)
 $xml.Send
 $Stream.Type = 1
 $Stream.Open
 $Stream.write($xml.ResponseBody)
 $Stream.SaveToFile($SavePath)
 $Stream.Close
EndFunc

Thanks AudID,

The aforementioned file downloads with no issues. The problem I'm experiencing must be with a particular website / download protocol.