GUIToolTip UDF rewrite

BrewManNH

I have been working on rewriting the GUIToolTip UDF that comes standard with AutoIt3. Most of the work has involved removing all instances of "magic" numbers and creating working examples for the help file. I have also rewritten most of the ToolTip function entries in the help file to better explain how they work, and how to use them. The original UDF worked well for the most part, but unfortunately there were no examples in the help file and the descriptions for the functions and/or what they did was sorely lacking. Attached is an archive that contains the updated GUIToolTip.au3 UDF, the ToolTipConstants.au3 file, the updated help file entries for the functions, and example scripts for as many of the UDF's functions that I could get working.

There is also a script breaking changes document in the archive that describes what was changed and how it will affect any scripts written to use the functions previously. As of this writing, I can almost guarantee that if you have a script that used the original UDF it will NOT work with this one. By that I don't mean it won't work well, I mean it won't work at all, so make sure you read the script breaking changes information.

There are some functions in the original UDF that I couldn't get working even with the rewrite, mostly that is because I lack the knowledge necessary to make them work, or they just don't work as written and I can't tell the difference. Any of the functions that don't have example scripts in the help file entries I couldn't get to work, except for the function _GUIToolTip_ToolToArray, which appears to be mostly used as an internal function but I left it as is in case someone ever used it for a script.

The new UDF removes the function _GUIToolTip_TTFToBits as it is no longer needed for anything and adds a new function called _GUIToolTip_Deactivate.

Please look over the functions, the examples, and the help file entries and give some feedback as to what can be improved, changed, removed etc. Also, please take a look at the functions that I couldn't make work and let me know if you can get them working and an example showing what it does and how it should work. The more eyes looking at this the better it will be in the end. Thanks.

GUIToolTip.zip

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

in:

script_breaking_changes_tooltip_udf.htm

_GUIToolTip_Dectivate

wrong name ?

it suppose to be:

_GUIToolTip_Decativate

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

You mean "_GUIToolTip_Deactivate", right ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

See, that's why I need the eyes on this. :D

EDIT: Updated the first post with corrected script breaking changes file.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I have boosters = glasses

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

I propose

Small change, i mean links

so much easier and faster to read the documentation.

see attached file

script_breaking_changes_tooltip_udf.htm

Edited by mlipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

In function _GUIToolTip_EnumTools, would $fResult return true all of the time? Return _GUIToolTip_ToolToArray($hWnd, $tToolInfo, $fResult = True)

Edited by jaberwocky6669

I propose

Small change, i mean links

so much easier and faster to read the documentation.

see attached file

So far, none of the script breaking changes have links to the functions that are being broken, so I continued the tradition.

In function _GUIToolTip_EnumTools, would $fResult return true all of the time? Return _GUIToolTip_ToolToArray($hWnd, $tToolInfo, $fResult = True)

It would only return true if the $fResult variable could be evaluated to True, so if the _SendMessage returned false or anything that wouldn't evaluate to True, then ($fResult = True) would evaluate to False, and that's what it would return.

Yeah, it's a little confusing when you first look at it, I honestly hadn't even noticed it previously, and then when you pointed it out it took me a bit to figure out what that was doing.

I see that this has been downloaded a few times now, I would appreciate any positive or negative feedback about this. 

I would like to have this added to the next beta release, but I need to hear of anything either positive, and especially negative, before I go ahead and commit the changes. Thanks for looking.

I have looked over this myself and was also hoping for a little more feedback. Perhaps just commit and see what comes of it.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I suppose we can see where the chips fall. :D

• Moderators

BrewManNH,

Thanks for the effort you have put into this - only just got around to playing with this. A few points I have noticed so far:

BubbleSize/Ht/Width: produces nonsense results on my system - returns 14x6 whereas the tip is around double that.

GetTitleText: does not.

Popup: once gone the tooltip does not reappear even when hovering over the button as requested

All the rest seem to work fine. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

What OS are you running this on?

Never mind, I put an older version of GUIToolTip.au3 in the archive, it didn't have the bug fix for the GetTitleText and GetTitleBitMap functions. The attached file is the correct version with the fix.

As to the bubble size functions, I just did some digging into that function (TTM_GETBUBBLESIZE), and unbeknownst to me that only works on a tracking tooltip.

This updated function for the help file will properly display the information. This one is for the GetBubbleSize function, and the others will be similar.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GUIToolTip.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
Example()

Func Example()
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate(StringTrimRight(@ScriptName, 4), 350, 200)

Local $iButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("This is a button", 30, 32, 130, 28)
    Local $hButton = GUICtrlGetHandle($iButton)
    ; create a tooltip control using default settings
    Local $hToolTip = _GUIToolTip_Create(0)
    ; add a tool to the tooltip control
    _GUIToolTip_AddTool($hToolTip, 0, "This is a ToolTip", $hButton)
    GUISetState()
    _GUIToolTip_TrackActivate($hToolTip, True, 0, $hButton) ; <<<<<<<<<<<< have to activate tracking

Local $iBubbleHeight = _WinAPI_HiWord(_GUIToolTip_GetBubbleSize($hToolTip, 0, $hButton))
    Local $iBubbleWidth = _WinAPI_LoWord(_GUIToolTip_GetBubbleSize($hToolTip, 0, $hButton))
    ; Display the height of the tooltip bubble in pixels
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Info", "Bubble Height = " & @TAB & $iBubbleHeight & " Pixels" & @CRLF & _
            "Bubble Width = " & @TAB & $iBubbleWidth & " Pixels")
    While 1
        If GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then ExitLoop
    WEnd
    ; Destroy the tooltip control
    _GUIToolTip_Destroy($hToolTip)
    GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

GUIToolTip.au3

Edited by BrewManNH

• Moderators

BrewManNH,

Vista x32 SP2 - Autoit 3.3.9.22.

Let me know if I can help with debugging - either here or via PM. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

See my updated post.

• Moderators

BrewmanNH,

BubbleSize/Ht/Width and GetTitleText now work. :thumbsup:

Popup still never reappears. :(

M23

Spoiler

Hmmmm....popup worked at one time, now I can't get the example to work at all.

There's no tooltip popping back up unless you are hovering over the button at the same time the popup message is sent. When I first tried this, it would pop up the tooltip as long as the button said Hover Now, but now it's not unless you're already hovering.

I don't get half of the tooltip functions, as they just don't work the way Microsoft says they're supposed to.

I suppose, instead of popping a tooltip off using _GUIToolTip_Pop and bringing it back to view with _PopUp, I'd probably have to use Activate and Deactivate.

• Moderators

BrewManNH,

There's no tooltip popping back up unless you are hovering over the button at the same time the popup message is sent

It works if I do that. :thumbsup:

Perhaps change the button text like this? :huh:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GUIToolTip.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate(StringTrimRight(@ScriptName, 4), 350, 200)

Local $iButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("ToolTip showing", 30, 32, 130, 28)
    Local $hButton = GUICtrlGetHandle($iButton)

Local $hToolTip = _GUIToolTip_Create($hGUI, BitOR($_TT_ghTTDefaultStyle, $TTS_BALLOON))
    _GUIToolTip_AddTool($hToolTip, 0, " ", $hButton)
    GUISetState()

_GUIToolTip_TrackActivate($hToolTip, True, 0, $hButton)
    Local $Msg, $Display = True
    $hTimer = TimerInit()
    While 1
        Sleep(10)
        Local $aMousePos = MouseGetPos()
        _GUIToolTip_TrackPosition($hToolTip, $aMousePos[0] + 10, $aMousePos[1] + 20)
        _GUIToolTip_UpdateTipText($hToolTip, 0, $hButton, "X: " & $aMousePos[0] & " Y: " & $aMousePos[1])
        $Msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Switch $Msg
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch
        ; Every 8 seconds the tooltip will be "popped" in or out of view
        ; to get it to display after the 8 seconds has passed, you have to hover
        ; over the button.
        If TimerDiff($hTimer) > 8000 Then
            $Display = Not $Display
            $hTimer = TimerInit()
            If $Display Then
                GUICtrlSetData($iButton, "ToolTip showing")
                $iRet = _GUIToolTip_PopUp($hToolTip)
                ConsoleWrite($iRet & @CRLF)
            Else
                GUICtrlSetData($iButton, "Hover here now")
                _GUIToolTip_Pop($hToolTip)
            EndIf
        EndIf
    WEnd
    ; Destroy the tooltip control
    _GUIToolTip_Destroy($hToolTip)
    GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example
M23

Spoiler