Stitch pictures together into a panorama

ning

So I've been taking some pictures up on the hills this summer, and stitching them together into panoramas using Autostitch - a brilliant free piece of software. If you're into digital photography at all, this is totally indispensable. See here for some examples.

However, Autostitch tends to take a while if you want high-resolution images (which I do). And it eats system memory, slowing my whole system down. So I wrote these scripts to automate the process a bit more, allowing me to let the program just get on with it while I do something more interesting.

The way it works is this:

1. First you 'queue' the images you want stitching together, using "Panorama queue.au3" and supplying the path names as arguments. I do this by putting a shortcut to the script in my 'SendTo' menu (C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\SendTo\). You probably want to edit the script to change where it saves the queue file to. You can have several groups of images in the queue.

2. Now just run "Panorama.au3". It will process the queue file and run Autostitch on each set of images. To test out the script, you might want to set the image scale ($scale variable at the start of the script) to a smaller value, say 25%. It will run significantly quicker than when set to full-scale.

The script renames the output 'pano.jpg' file to a sequential filename in line with your last panorama image. So if your images are P123.JPG, P124.JPG and P125.JPG, the script will rename the output file to P125a.JPG.

If a path to JHead is specified, the script will clone the EXIF info from the last image into the output image, and also advance the image time by 10 seconds.

After processing all the images, the program invokes AMP WinOFF to hibernate the computer, unless you click 'cancel' in a dialog box. If you don't specify a path to WinOFF, it doesn't do anything.

Hope this is useful for someone else! Sorry it uses so many external programs, but this seemed like the easiest way to implement what I wanted it to do. Any comments?

cheers

ben

Panorama_queue.au3

Panorama.au3