Text box with in-line images?

yutt

Is there any way with AutoIt affix an image to an Edit or Input Control? Or any control with selectable text?

I've read everything I can find in the manual, but can't see any way to do it. I could create an image on-top of the text control, but that's kind of crude, and not really what I want. Also it would cause alignment issues when scrolling through the text control.

Basically, I want the ability to replace ;) with an image inside of the control. (That's just one example, but hopefully conveys my intent).

Edited by yutt
It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly, just as it is to be angry with a car that won't go. - Bertrand Russell

Not possible. I wonder if a richedit control might be able to do that.. but it doesn't matter since those are unable to be used with AutoIt currently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang, I was really hoping I was missing something. ;)

Thanks for the info. :P

Are there plans to add such a control?

Edited by yutt
It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly, just as it is to be angry with a car that won't go. - Bertrand Russell

I decided to explore a little with "AutoIt Window Info" to see if I could find out different instant messengers use. With the current version of MSNIM the entire window is seen as one control by the tool, so can't see what the message windows is specifically.

Gaim: ClassNameNN: gdkWindowChild19

Miranda: ClassNameNN: RichEdit20A1

Trillian: ClassNameNN: Unicode Trillian Window1

Miranda gives the only clue, that it uses some sort of RichEdit box. I looked around in Microsoft's oleview tool for a while to see if adding a RichEdit box through a COM object is possible... But, I have no experience or knowledge in that area, so I haven't had any luck even finding something in that mess of objects.

If anyone can give me some helpful tips or references on how to do this, that would be great. Right now I am just Googling trying to learn enough to figure out how to add one. I'm not sure whether it is possible or not, but the GUICtrlCreateObj example gives me hope.

Edited by yutt

Yeah, an HTML display box would almost work too. I'd rather not have to run an browser in the back for each window though. Since AutoIt doesn't have any GUICtrlCreateHTML either. ;)

I've searched the forum for a couple hours and have seen lots of requests for RichEdit boxes, but not any reference to if they are ever going to be implemented. There was some mention of issues due to the various versions of RichEdit available (1.0 - 4.1). The best target I saw would be RichEdit 3.0, which uses the same DLL as 2.0. Everything from Windows 95 to XP can support it with the latest DLL (Me - XP have native support).

Tons of info on it here. Unfortunately nothing I saw to help me. I briefly tried using DLLCall to load a RichEdit control, but it never displayed.

Oh well, guess I will make due with what I can for now, and cross my fingers for AutoIt v4 with GUICtrlCreateRichEdit. :P

Edited by yutt

That is definitely interesting, but I am looking for something more dynamic. Like, being able to hit Ctrl-B to bold the selected text. If there is a free wrapper DLL for something like that I'd love to hear about it. ;)

I did have a post in this thread just after layer's first one... I don't know where it went.

Anyway, I mentioned that kjactive's Au3Calibur had an HTML control in its About box, and it demonstrates quite nicely how to dynamically fill it with text formatted via HTML.

This would be perfect for display of e.g. chat responses, but it doesn't make formatted input fields very easy.