Automatic help in SCiTe?

I know it's there somewhere as I used it few years ago, I just dont know where it is.

The thing is, when I press F1, I get help of currently highlighted function. But few years ago I used help, where the help window remain open and loaded help for highlighted function automatically, or even when I just put cursor in there. There was also third window showing right syntax of it. It was very helpfull because when I started typing some function, it automatically offered me possibilities (in another window, not just small dropdown from typing location)

I Tried CTRL, ALT, Shift and all those modifiers (and combined) with F1, none of them seems to open this kind of help. I cant remember how to open it. Dont you know?

If you're looking to open the AutoIt help file from SciTE, you need to save the file you're working on with a .au3 extension before it will do it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I dont have problem with opening help. I want to find how to activate the feature that help is opended and automaticly realtime searches for what your cursor is in. 
You click in "MouseClick" and help window will realtime show you info about that function

There's no functionality to show you the calltips when you've clicked on a function name, but if you click after an opening parentheses of a function, for example "MsgBox(|", your cursor is after the parentheses in MsgBox, and then you hit CTRL-SHIFT-Space, the calltip should show up.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

MaximusCZ,

SciTE itself has nothing like that, but I can just about remember a tool something like that many years ago. As I never used it I have no idea how to invoke it or even if it still exists and I cannot remember any other questions about it recently, so I am pretty sure that the functionality/tool is no longer included. Best wait until Jos comes online - then we will get the full explanation. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I read your OP and I've given you every thing that could reasonably be gathered from what you're asking for. I have no idea what you mean by "automaticly realtime searches for what your cursor is in" so I was guessing at what you were looking for. If neither of these fit what you're looking for, I'd request you to please explain in minute detail what it is you ARE looking for.

MaximusCZ,

SciTE itself has nothing like that, but I can just about remember a tool something like that many years ago. As I never used it I have no idea how to invoke it or even if it still exists and I cannot remember any other questions about it recently, so I am pretty sure that the functionality/tool is no longer included. Best wait until Jos comes online - then we will get the full explanation. :)

M23

Okay:)

I read your OP and I've given you every thing that could reasonably be gathered from what you're asking for. I have no idea what you mean by "automaticly realtime searches for what your cursor is in" so I was guessing at what you were looking for. If neither of these fit what you're looking for, I'd request you to please explain in minute detail what it is you ARE looking for.

Well, As I stated. This I am looking for: 

You open help (in separate window, not calltip). This help window shows you help for any function you highlight (or just put cursor in it), in code in SCiTe. When you click to different function in SCiTe in your code, help window will load a page about it automatically. 

Demonstration. You type "MouseClick" and since your cursor is in it, help window will load page about MouseClick on itself realtime (or just slight 0.5 sec delay). Nothing to do with calltips. 

Its like it automatically presses F1 every half a second (but with focus remaining in main SCiTe window)

scite does do that, I don't know why yours isn't, mine is doing it fine. Maybe you have to use the scite that is specifically built for autoit. I didn't do anything special for mine to work in this way. The only option that has to do with anything that I selected upon install was to make the au3 file go into edit in scite instead of run...have no idea if that actually impacts this. I can't be any more help beyond telling you that you are not insane lol.

EDIT: I don't know about the automatic part without pressing F1, I didn't see that part of your post. I always have to press F1 to go into the help. The only automatic part is while you are typing out the function, info about the parameters start to show up for the function. Is that what you mean?

Edited by Champak

It is obviously a thing....Jos will know.

I am still looking,,,

From the SciTE Help File

"· Open the AutoIt Help file on the keyword under the cursor"

Some of the additional functionality in SciTE4AutoIt3

·     Customized Syntax colouring

·     AutoComplete AutoIt commands automatically (options are suggested in a dropdown box while typing - just press ENTER or TAB to AutoComplete)

·     AutoComplete variable and function names already used within the script with Ctrl-Enter

·     CallTips (Show a tooltip with expected parameters in the function being used)

·     Code folding for easy code viewing

·     Auto-indentation while typing

·     Specially written LUA scripts to enhance editing which include:

·     Open the AutoIt Help file on the keyword under the cursor

·     Bring up a list of AutoIt functions - double-click or click and press ENTER to paste the selected function into your script

·     Run, compile and/or syntaxcheck an AutoIt script from within the editor

·     Packaged with several other utilities to help you code:
Edited by billo

Generally, if you hit F1, help is usually opened to that particular keyword that the cursor is on/inside of. 

Yes. And I know its capable of doing that without having to press F1 everytime and having to focus SCiTe again. I just dont remember how to activate it.. What is the mystery shortcut

• Developers

The OP is talking about a utility I wrote a long time ago called FuncPopUp.

I stopped development years ago as there were hardly ever any questions or requests for it.

It would open a separate window showing all possible Functions and when you wanted also the actual helpfile page was shown explaining the function.

When browsing through your script in SciTE it would show the appropriate helpfile page for that function as well.

It was removed from the installer released on 6/10/2012.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

Jos,

Thanks - senility is evidently not as far advanced as I feared! :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Developers

Lets agree, when reading the answers from all the regulars posting in this thread, it is fair to state that hardly anybody was aware of the existence of FuncPopUp, let alone using it.

So give me one good reason why I would maintain this since we now have the auto Func select and CallTips popping up filling in most of that gap?

oh, and you needing it isn't a good enough reason! ;)

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Here's a little Idea for you.

#include <IE.au3>

Global $oIE = _IEAttach("AutoIt Help", "Embedded")
Global $Function = "ControlClick"

If Not IsObj($oIE) Then
    Exit MsgBox(0, "Error", "_IEAttach failed")
EndIf

_IENavigate($oIE, "http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/functions/" & $Function & ".htm")

That is the second part, the first would be a little more involved.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Developers

Here's a little Idea for you.

#include <IE.au3>

Global $oIE = _IEAttach("AutoIt Help", "Embedded")
Global $Function = "ControlClick"

If Not IsObj($oIE) Then
    Exit MsgBox(0, "Error", "_IEAttach failed")
EndIf

_IENavigate($oIE, "http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/functions/" & $Function & ".htm")

That is the second part, the first would be a little more involved.

It is actually pretty easy to use one of the many examples I posted over the years of the SciTE Director interface and use that to request the current word from SciTE on a regular interval.

That was the principle FuncPopUp was using to display the Helpfile page.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.