Windows 8, metro application: is it even possible to interact with controls?

AutoIT beginner here.

I would like to send input to a Windows 8 full-screen "metro" application:

• mousemove + looping pixelgetcolor until the back button becomes highlighted + mouseclick works.

• However, I would like to know if there is a more reliable way, maybe interacting with controls.  Anyone know if that is even possible with metro applications?

What I tried:

"AutoIt v3 Window Info" didn't show any control info when I alt-tabbed back to it from the full screen metro application.

• Also tried a program called "Winspector", but also didn't even see the metro program's window title in the list.

If AutoIT can't do "control" stuff with metro applications, anyone know if AutoHotkey can?

Program:  Datazen (http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-US/app/datazen/37cc7744-e921-4f11-be15-c9628e6e572a).

Datazen displays graphs and "dashboards" from excel files.

Step1:  Click the back arrow in the top left(screenshot 1) to go to the configuration screen(screenshot 2).

Dashboard+1.gif

Step2:  Click one of the buttons at the top(screenshot 2) to refresh the data, then click one of the buttons in the top left to return to the original screen shown in screenshot 1.

0285.ParamClient1.png_2D00_550x0.png

These 2 simple steps are all I want to do.

Edited by SnowmanProEngine

• Moderators

Hi, SnowmanProEngine, can you tell us what the application is, or provide a screenshot? I have a couple of WIN8 boxes to test with, but often there is a better way to do what you're trying to accomplish than mousemove and mouseclick.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• 2 years later...

@JLogan3o13 Could you help to explain "there is a better way to do what you're trying to accomplish than mousemove and mouseclick" in details? Most topics mentioned metro/modern-ui or even Windows 10 in this forum are about constructing UI with AutoIt. I would like to know whether or not AutoIt is able to interact with UI controls in store/metro/modern-ui apps.