Milliseconds to date and time

I have found a few threads on this and even found a little snippet of code that I thought may work for me but I am having trouble with it so I figured I would ask and see if this is possible.

I am getting a millisecond datetime stamp returned from some queries I am making via REST calls.  The returned date is something like this "1329414179000"

I tried the small function that PSaltyDS shared that is shown below and it gets me to what I need somewhat I just don't understand why my time is off.

When I parse the millisecond value I have, it is returning the time as PM in the format of  2012/02/16/ 17:42:59.  I know that the date is correct and the min:sec of the time is correct but I am getting the wrong hour.  The string should read 2012/02/16 11:42:59.  The file was created in the AM not the PM.  I don't mind it reporting in military time I just am not sure why its off by 7 hours.

I have also looked at the built in time function _ticks to time but from what I have not been able to get that work for it yet.

#Include <Date.au3>

$n = 1329414179000
ConsoleWrite("$n = " & $n & @LF)
$sTime = _DateAdd("s", Int($n / 1000), "1970/01/01 00:00:00")
ConsoleWrite("$sTime = " & $sTime & @LF)

What's your time zone? And what is the difference between your time zone and UTC?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm in the Central time zone.  So that's a 6 hour difference off of UTC.  When its 12:00pm central time that's 6:00pm UTC. 

So Taking that I changed the 00:00:00 to 18:00:00 and I get the correct time just a day later so instead of the 16th I indexed it to the 17th.

Ok so started tracking back and really should not have hit send on that last post yet.  I took the date back to say 1969/12/31 18:00 and then I get the correct date and time for my return.  my question is this simply an issue with time zone conversions? Is my source I am getting the millisecond return from using something other than the computer epoch to count from?  Is that not what 1970/01/01 00:00:00 adding to?

Thanks,  just trying to understand what is going on here.  Don't really want someone to write me something I want to know what is happening.

The epoch time is based on UTC, so unless you live in that time zone, all times will be off at least by your time zone difference.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Ok,  So that I can understand based on the fact that I am 6 hours difference from UTC and I really should have thought about that before posting but why the day?   

O well got it figured out and that is what counts.  Its more one of those things that will bother me.  Thanks for the help guys.

Well, what is 6 hours before midnight January 1st, 1970? Answer, December 31st, 1969 @ 1800 hours.

I've been thinking about this, and after a search about it's raised a few questions.

What is the difference between system time and local time?

A few topics I found where people where looking to get system time, they were advised to use _NowCalc(), but I'm fairly certain that returns local time.

According to msdn GetSystemTime "is expressed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)"

So what is the difference?

I don't believe I can test it in UK because both of these return the same time (GMT/UTC)

I'm hoping one shows UTC and the other shows UTC +- local offset, and wonder if someone in different timezone would be so kind as to test it.

$SYSTEMTIME = DllStructCreate( _
        "WORD wYear;" & _
        "WORD wMonth;" & _
        "WORD wDayOfWeek;" & _
        "WORD wDay;" & _
        "WORD wHour;" & _
        "WORD wMinute;" & _
        "WORD wSecond;" & _
        "WORD wMilliseconds;")

$pSYSTEMTIME = DllStructGetPtr($SYSTEMTIME)

$aCall = DllCall("Kernel32.dll", "none", "GetSystemTime", "ptr", $pSYSTEMTIME)
;$aCall = DllCall("Kernel32.dll", "none", "GetLocalTime", "ptr", $pSYSTEMTIME)

If @error Then
    Exit MsgBox(0, 0, 0)
EndIf

ConsoleWrite( _
        DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME, 1) & "-" & _
        DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME, 2) & "-" & _
        DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME, 4) & "-" & _
        DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME, 5) & "-" & _
        DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME, 6) & "-" & _
        DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME, 7) & "-" & _
        DllStructGetData($SYSTEMTIME, 8) & @LF)

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Don't forget about days light savings time! (not now, but in 5 months)

Looks like my system time is displaying the UTC/GMT 2013/12/5-20:14:7.58

I'm in California, which currently is a -8 hour offset (12:14 in 24 hour clock)...durring days light savings time: -7

$aCall = DllCall("Kernel32.dll", "none", "GetLocalTime", "ptr", $pSYSTEMTIME)

This one does not return the offset, it must be inferred by the difference, I suppose

2013/12/5-12:18:0.111

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

I'm in the Eastern Time Zone (UTC -5) and GetSystemTime shows 20:18, GetLocalTime shows 15:18 for me.

Windows 7

Just updated my first post.  GetLocalTime is the system clock time, and GetSystemTime is utc

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

#include <Date.au3>

_Date_Time_GetLocalTime
_Date_Time_GetSystemTime

#include <date.au3>
$t = _Date_Time_GetLocalTime()
ConsoleWrite(  _Date_Time_SystemTimeToDateTimeStr($t) & @CRLF)
$t = _Date_Time_GetSystemTime()
ConsoleWrite(  _Date_Time_SystemTimeToDateTimeStr($t) & @CRLF)
Edited by jdelaney