In Defence of Magic Numbers

czardas

"settings.ini" is a magic string (for want of a better word for it). $SETTINGS_FILE is a named constant.

The latter is nearly always better.

Yes and I would say even better if you can declare it as a local variable, and not necessarily as a constant.

Edited by czardas

You would use a constant in this case because you don't ever want it to be changed. So if you inadvertently write your function with a ByRef that references your ini file you'll know that you did something wrong before you ever run your code. Also, if you're going to reference the ini file in several areas of your code, it's easier to set it as a global, and not have to code it that you're passing it all over the script. It doesn't mean it can't be a local, it's just a lot easier to make it a global. 

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Who said anything about "always preferable"? You can always make them local constants if you want.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

What is chat for if not hair splitting?

I concede that magic numbers are inferior in all cases, but only for the typo argument.  Being able to error the compile for a typo is killer.

However, I am lazy as balls and will no doubt continue to use the most familiar numbers.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

I concede that magic numbers are inferior in all cases, but only for the typo argument.

I disagree. If you have the impossible task of sending 16 simultaneous messages, the best you can do is send binary direct (in sequential chunks) and this is still a compromise. Some preprocessing can help, but suppose you have over 2000 binary variants to select from, giving them each a name is overkill. You would most likely use an array of 'magic numbers'.*

If predefined constant names make reading the code more difficult, then there is good reason to rename them; and if obfuscation is your goal, then using difficult to understand binary is probably as good as any obscure name. Perhaps development requires you to know if a constant is odd or even - in such a case the last thing you want to do is use a name instead of a number. I'm sure there must be many plausible exceptions - more so in development than with release code.

* $aMagicNumber[2000] could perhaps be considered as a named constant.

However, I am lazy as balls and will no doubt continue to use the most familiar numbers.

Well you are not the only one. o:)  Familiarity counts for a lot.

Edit

This post just about sums up most of my thoughts on this subject. If someone like trancexx, jon or valik were show up and say I am missing something fundamental, or that my argument is a straw man, I would certainly not ignore their criticism. I hold each of them in high regard.

Edit 2

I forgot to mention that performance degradation in extreme cases, where memory is allocated to too many variables, is a very real effect.

Edited by czardas

Why does it have to be just those three? Stick to your guns if you feel you're right. Jon is the one who designed the language, so has a good idea of what is right and wrong, regardless of what the "standards and practices" tell us about coding.

Just to annoy those who feel Local in "Global scope" is Global. Though it works like that, it shouldn't be regarded as that, case in point....

#include <Constants.au3>

Local $sVar = 'This variable is only used in the scope it''s declared in, therefore imagine if this scope was wrapped in a function called "Main".'
Global $g_sString = 'This variable is used not only in this scope ("Main") but also inside other functions e.g. SomeFunc()'

SomeFunc()

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', $sVar) ; Display in a MsgBox().
$sVar = ''

SomeOtherFunc()

Func Example()
    Local $sText = 'This is some text.' ; The variable is Local and is declared and initialised when required.
    ConsoleWrite($sText & @CRLF) ; Display in the console.

$sText = 'Change the variable which is local to the scope it''s declared in.' ; Change the variable's contents.
    ConsoleWrite($sText & @CRLF) ; Display in the console.
EndFunc

Func SomeFunc()
    $g_sString &= @CRLF ; Append CRLF to the string.
    ConsoleWrite($g_sString) ; Display in the console.
EndFunc

Func SomeOtherFunc()
    $g_sString = '' ; Clear the contents of the Global variable.
EndFunc
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Why does it have to be just those three?

guinness I said 'someone like' those three, which also includes a number of other people, who's opinion I would not like to question. Likewise I do not dismiss points made by anyone here without contemplation. Most points I have read seem very reasonable.

If some of the things I have said are incorrect, then I will be happy to review them and adjust my less rigid and perhaps undisciplined approach.

Edited by czardas

guinness I said 'someone like' those three, which also includes a number of other people, who's opinion I would not like to question. Likewise I do not dismiss points made by anyone without contemplation. Most points I have read seem very reasonable.

Okay.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Just to annoy those who feel Local in "Global scope" is Global. Though it works like that, it shouldn't be regarded as that, case in point....

Well... It's actually not a bad way to think about it.

When you use a language with nested functions/closures and the like you'll find that scopes aren't quite as simple as they seem.

• Moderators

guinness,

Local $sVar = 'This variable is only used in the scope it''s declared in, therefore imagine if this scope was wrapped in a function called "Main".'
But it is not in a function and so should be declared as Global as that is the scope it will have in the script. If you put it in a function called "Main" then by all means declare it as Local if that is the scope it requires - but not when it is not. ;)

M23

P.S. Not at all annoyed, by the way. :D

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

But it's not used anywhere else and thus is "Local to the scope" not Global. Valik was the one (when I started on the help file) who drilled this into me. For example I started to change examples like the one below to Global, but he made a point about this to me in the MVP section that it's actually Local and not Global.

Local $sString = 'Some string'
$sString = StringToBinary($sString)
ConsoleWrite($sString & @CRLF)

Read this >> 

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• Moderators

guinness,

I have read Valik's comment and discussed on teh forum it many times - I did not and still do not agree with it. While I see the logic of doing what he suggested when using a language which does have that sort of scoping, this is absolutely not the case in AutoIt and I firmly believe that declaring main script variables as Local when they are in fact treated as Global could well cause huge problems to someone who does not grasp the subtlety of the original argument. AutoIt is designed first and foremost for those who are not experienced coders - in my opinion some of those who are sometimes lose sight of this simple fact. ;)

End of transmission. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

in my opinion some of those who are sometimes lose sight of this simple fact. ;)

I am aware of this, but if people really wish to expand their knowledge of coding/AutoIt then we (Dev/MVP/Mods/Users) should be here to help and offer advice of "hey, common coding practices can be applied to AutoIt too." Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I have to add that I haven't forgotten about the novice user of AutoIt. You will see most examples in the help file were a little hard to decipher, hence major re-writes to all (ex. GUI) functions. I have also tried to accommodate for those who are interested in expanding their knowledge of AutoIt, something I had to inspire in myself to learn as nothing much had been discussed about it on the Forum before.

End of transmission. :)

Okay.

For now I will take a break discussing about the best practices of AutoIt and go back to having just a support Forum. Most of what I have had to teach or discuss about this subject has already been said and it's just regurgitating the same information from my end.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• Administrators

I've always thought of "Local" to mean "Local to the current scope". It's just that outside of a function that the current scope happens to be the global scope. That's pretty much how scope is differentiated within the internals so it's an OK way to think about it.  Allowing the feature to create a new global variable from within a function was probably a mistake (no matter how sometimes useful - i.e. We should have just left it as Dim with no Local and Global).

... We should have just left it as Dim with no Local and Global.

Oh no, That would make too much sense. What would people dis-cuss around here?

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

Vaguely related:

The other day; I imagined a pseudo type syntax, similar to the following, which could be used to force a Local copy of a global variable passed as a parameter. It offers no additional, or practical, advantage other than being easy to follow (IMO).

;

Pseudo Code

Global Const $gvVar = True

_Anything($gvVar)

Func _Anything(Not ByRef $gvVar)
    $gvVar = False
EndFunc

;

Although I think 'Not ByRef' is perhaps a bad combination / expression for different reasons. It was merely a passing thought.

Something I think would be very useful would be to have optional ByRef parameters (for passing around large amounts of data - or not), but perhaps there's enough going on right now. Maybe sometime in the future.

Edited by czardas