Data type of new empty variables

wraithdu

I got caught by this today. Do you consider it a bug? I would expect a new, empty, unassigned variable to take on the type of the first assigned data, in this case binary. Tested AutoIt versions 3.3.9.25 beta.

Local $a
$a &= Binary("0x1234")
$a &= Binary("0x5678")
ConsoleWrite(VarGetType($a) & " : " & $a & @CRLF)
;; output -> String : 0x12340x5678
;; expected output -> Binary : 0x12345678

Local $b = Binary("")
$b &= Binary("0x1234")
$b &= Binary("0x5678")
ConsoleWrite(VarGetType($b) & " : " & $b & @CRLF)
;; output -> Binary : 0x12345678
Edited by wraithdu

It's the same in the stable, though I wouldn't say it's a bug as you're appending binary data to a variable not initialised and by default it's always a string data type.

Local $sVar
ConsoleWrite(VarGetType($sVar) & @CRLF)
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I thought that &= was a string operator - converting the result to a string regardless. 0x12340x5678 is not what you should expect to get here though (I don't think). I would say bug. This is what I would expect ==>

MsgBox(0, "", Binary("0x1234") & Binary("0x5678")) ; 0x12345678
Edited by czardas

But you're not converting the initialisation. No bug.

Local $a = Binary('')
$a &= Binary("0x1234")
$a &= Binary("0x5678")

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I thought that &= was a string operator - converting the result to a string regardless. 0x12340x5678 is not what you should expect to get here though (I don't think). I would say bug. This is what I would expect ==>

MsgBox(0, "", Binary("0x1234") & Binary("0x5678")) ; 0x12345678

But  the initial variable is a string, so you're appending binary data to a string.

I expect this...

$vVar = "" & Binary("0x1234") & Binary("0x5678")
MsgBox(0, "", VarGetType($vVar)) ; 0x12345678
Which is why when I said the other day initialise variables with the datatype you expect it to hold as being a good thing to do. This is a prime example of just that. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Not strange, because you initialised with a number. Here try this as it's what wraithdu presented.

Local $a
$a &= 2
$a &= 3

UDF List:

Not strange, because you initialised with a number. Here try this as it's what wraithdu presented.

Local $a
$a &= 2
$a &= 3

This still comes out as a string. I find it hard to understand. Binary data sometimes remains as binary, but numbers are always converted to a string (initialized or not). Why?

Edited by czardas

Because an uninitialised variable is always a string datatype. What would you expect this datatype to be?

Local $a = '1'
$a &= 2
$a &= 3

String

UDF List:

Binary data sometimes remains as binary, but numbers are always converted to a string (initialized or not). Why?

Local $b = Binary("") initializes the variable to a binary type and not to a string and that's the reason why it works.

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Because an uninitialised variable is always a string datatype. What would you expect this datatype to be?

Okay this is new information, but if I initialize a number it gets converted to a string anyway. What is confusing me is why the &= operator treats diferent pre-initialized data types differently. Converting numbers, but not converting binary.

Local $a = Number("")
$a &= 2
Edited by czardas

That I can see as being confusing for some people.

But binary and strings are the only two I can think of where you would need to "join" together.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I guess the reason might be that numeric concatenation would be limited to 15 digits if it were not converted to string data. Therefore I can see it as perhaps being a general solution to cover all bases. Confusing nonetheless.

Edited by czardas

I've only ever used &= for binary and string data. It would make no sense for numbers, where +=, -=, *= etc are the proper operators.

Local $a
MsgBox(0, "", VarGetType($a))
$a += 1
$a += 2
MsgBox(0, "", VarGetType($a) & " : " & $a)

I understand why the binary / string thing gets messed up, it's just not what I would expect. I would expect it to go all stringy if I was concatenating numbers.

Well concatenating numbers is quite a valid proceedure for some types of arithmetic. Multiply something by 10 in your head. Most people will add a zero on the right. This is just a simple example of numeric concatenation. I can't give a whole load of examples, but I know it is acceptable to do things like this.

Edited by czardas

I assume it changes the type regarding on the last operation and its type.

Local $a
ConsoleWrite(VarGetType($a) & @LF)
$a &= 1.5
$a += 3.0
$a &= 0.0 ;if you comment this line out you will see it is double and not a string
ConsoleWrite(VarGetType($a) & " : " & $a & @LF)

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

If you want to get even more confused, take the quotes off of the strings that are being converted to binary and check the results.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I considered that any concatenation of data is string. Binary data as a string can not be merged because obtain 0x120x13

Here is another unusual example:

Local $a = 4e-008
$a &= 3e-5
$a &= 1.1e-5
MsgBox(0, VarGetType($a), $a) ; 4e-0083e-0051.1e-005
Local $a = 1e3
$a &= 2e3
$a &= 3e3
MsgBox(0, VarGetType($a), $a) ; 100020003000
Local $a = 0x1A34
$a &= 0x56F8
$a &= 0x5D78