Creating Gui to update SQL server tables.

Hey All!

I'm in a bit over my head here but have some basic database knowledge.  I want to make a gui as an exe that will be easy to query or update values to table in our SQL server at work.

I've done a couple of scripts with setting up adodb connections and running a query to pull into an array from a db2 server and was pretty easy.  Is there something that would be worth looking into to get some ideas or something that interacts with the mssql server well?

I'm trying to create a notes database for shipments and customers.

Thanks!

Send us some examples.  Seems you can create a gui that would need edit's that would query based on something (maybe a listview of possible collumns on the table, and the edit is for the value to search)...then you can have a check mark, to say exact match, or wrap it with %% for an 'in' search Then a button to create the query (logically create, and execute your query). , and populate other edits with the returned values of the query, which you can then attempt to modify...have another button to run an 'update' script based on your changes.  Shouldn't be too hard, use the helpfile for GUICtrlCreateEdit, and GUICtrlRead to get started.

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Thanks Jdelaney! I'll work on it a bit and have a bit more of an example to use.  I've had a little experience with the gui's so far so that should be pretty easy to do.  Makes sense what you say.  Do you think it would be more beneficial to create the connection and leave it open/check to see if it exists before attempting to execute?

Thanks!

You should open once, and do a check prior to running a select/update statement.  If closed, re-open.

But, you could also just open, run a query, then close.  It will execute very quickly, either way.

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.