Simple Child Program

Idea

The fact that something this simple is so difficult to do in AutoIt makes me angry. Please tell me exactly how I can fix up my code..

The fact that something this simple is so difficult to do in AutoIt makes me angry. Please tell me exactly how I can fix up my code..

SIR, YES SIR!!! Sorry, that I'm answering that late!!! We definitely don't want you to get angry about AutoIT or the commuity, so I will answer your questions IMMEDIATELY and to your complete satisfaction!!

So, here is the EXACT way how to fix your code.

1.) Be polite, when you ask for help.

2.) Try to provide some information what you already did to solve the problem.

3.) Be polite, when you ask for help

4.) Be polite, when you ask for help. Oh, wait I covered that already.

And now to the solution..... Well, after reading your order for help again, I'm sorry, but I think I cannot help you. Good luck!

Cheers

Kurt

Edited by /dev/null

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

SIR, YES SIR!!! Sorry, that I'm answering that late!!!  We definitely don't want you to get angry about AutoIT or the commuity, so I will answer your questions IMMEDIATELY and to your complete satisfaction!!

So, here is the EXACT way how to fix your code.

1.) Be polite, when you ask for help.

2.) Try to provide some information what you allready tried to solve the problem.

3.) Be polite, when you ask for help

4.) Be polite, when you ask for help. Oh, wait I covered that already.

And now to the solution..... Well, after reading your order for help again, I'm afraid, but I think I cannot help you. Good luck!

Cheers

Kurt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHA. i saw you posting kurt and thought i'd hold off on my own response to let one of the real masters fix this one, but i guess i'll throw in two cents.

first suggestion is to get SciTE4AutoIT from the downloads section of the homepage. It's autocomplete doubles as a spell checker to avoid things like:

$btnOut = GUICtrreateButton ( "Sign Out",  60+10, 30, 50)

that's one that i'm seeing throughout your code. not sure how it's running at all with those there, but i'll play along... another thing i'm not seeing in your code is a loop of any kind...loops are required if you want your gui to be displayed on the users screen for any useful amount of time. Also, there is a seperate forum aimed specifically at GUI support, you may want to look there for an support more targeted at your issue. Not that we mind helping here of course, it's just that's where the GUI people hang out...go figure...

mmm is it me or do I see like the same spelling error on a function like 10 times....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I first thought it's some dirt on my display. But now, that I've cleaned it the errors are still there. I guess the error messages of AutoIT are not "clear" enough. Just showing: GUICtrreateButton: unknown function name, might not be enough and surely makes people really angry! Somebody should fix this immediately!!

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

HAHA.  i saw you posting kurt and thought i'd hold off on my own response to let one of the real masters fix this one, but i guess i'll throw in two cents.

It seems some people completely forget about good manners as soon as they are online. I bet he will not go into a bank and say: I'm ANGRY. Money, NOW! Need it! Or in a Deli: Food, NOW... Hungry!!

Tststs..... Unbelievable....

Cheers

Kurt

You know, maybe it's just me but personally...I didn't sense the 'attitude' that others here supposedly have with the initial post. I sensed frustration; but I didn't feel any 'demands' were made on the AutoIt community for aid.

I haven't been a member very long, yet in that scant amount of time I have seen some members of this forum foster a hostile, elitist attitude towards those who are not the supposed 'code master' that they are. The first initial posts that I made were met with courteous, helpful replies; replete with coded examples...tremendously helpful if you are at a point where you're just not wrapping your mind around an aspect or function within the AutoIt environment.

I am NOT saying the forums are a place for individuals to come, to have / make requests for entire scripts; that can be done elsewhere or by PM.

Maybe it's the intention to demand subservience of others by the certain few... and Hey, if they don't like my response to their post they can just go away and not come back, and WE can keep AutoIt all to ourselves... That attitude, would be a tremendous shame for this forum and community should this be the case.

Edited by b1t5tR3@m

You know, maybe it's just me but personally...I didn't sense the 'attitude' that others here supposedly have with the initial post. I sensed frustration; but I didn't feel any 'demands' were made on the AutoIt community for aid.

I haven't been a member very long, yet in that scant amount of time I have seen some members of this forum foster a hostile, elitist attitude towards those who are not the supposed 'code master' that they are. The first initial posts that I made were met with courteous, helpful replies; replete with coded examples...tremendously helpful if you are at a point where you're just not wrapping your mind around an aspect or function within the AutoIt environment.

I am NOT saying the forums are a place for individuals to come, to have / make requests for entire scripts; that can be done elsewhere or by PM.

Maybe it's the intention to demand subservience of others by the certain few... and Hey, if they don't like my response to their post they can just go away and not come back, and WE can keep AutoIt all to ourselves... That attitude, would be a tremendous shame for this forum and community should this be the case.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GOOD POST. you definitely hit the nail on the head when you said that this isn't the place to request others to do your work for you. In kurt's defense, though i'm sure he can/will defend himself sufficiently if he feels it necessary, the reason he reacted the way he did is because the initial poster kind of opened the door with a little indignance of his own although it wasn't called for, or even justified on closer inspection. He started by saying how autoit was making this difficult for him and that made him angry. when in reality, it's not a difficult language, which i'm sure you can agree with, and his difficulties obviously stem from user error rather than the language's own limitations or shortcomings as he implies. it's not the language that's making him angry or causing his script to fail, it's himself. Personally i laugh at posts like that, even while i try to help. Kurt just brought the comedy a little more to the forefront so that others could enjoy it also, and i thank him for that. It's not about being elitist or condescending, it's about: You're asking for help. You don't ask for help by prefacing it with a disclaimer that you're pissed you even need to ask. The response of some is the obvious "well if you're so good that you can be angry that you need help, figure it out yourself". None of us are expecting others to passively throw themselves at the mercy of the forum, and offer praise etc before asking for help, but i mean come on, you have to keep in mind that you're asking for help with something, and who wants to help someone who thinks they're too good to need the help?

Well, here are some statements of Mr. Idea. Maybe that helps you to interpret his post and my reaction.

SubFunctions

"The feature is a bit too complex for someone like you to understand well, judging by your post. The target audience can't figure out how to use a feature so lets not include it seems to be the mentality of AutoIt development. Anyway I'm moving back to a "real" language, thanks anyway!"

I guess, to offend the people that like (or made) AutoIT is not a good start, especially if you are asking for help, is it?

This Post

"The fact that something this simple is so difficult to do in AutoIt makes me angry. Please tell me exactly how I can fix up my code.."

Sounds rather like a command to me than frustration. He should be angry because of his obvious errors (see spelling errors in his first post), but not because of AutoIT. Second, he did not even give some error messages and he obviously was too lazy to read the help file. Otherwise he would have been able to interpret the error message, especially if it's saying: unknown function name !?!

GUI Child Windows, Not closing..

"Fix so the windows close..?"

What's that? Again a command? No error messages, no problem description, no nothing. So, what does he expect?

For the rest of your statement: Just check my post history. You will see, that I always helped forum members who really tried hard to solve their problem, but got stuck at some point. Then I even wrote the whole code for them, just for fun. But if somebody requests help in an inappropriate way, and even demands immediate help, whithout even trying to contribute to the solution in the slightest way, it might happen that I answer in a kind of funny way (at least in my eyes).

EDIT: and this is for sure not about "elitist attitude". It's just about good manners, as you would expect them in "real life". Unfortunately some people forget them as soon as they are online!

Cheers

Kurt

Edited by /dev/null

@ /dev /null...

I do stand by my first statement; and that because this post was the first post of 'Idea' that I have personally seen or read. I can appreciate frustration...especially after continuously trying to reason my own way through a script only to have continuous errors.

He started by saying how autoit was making this difficult for him and that made him angry. when in reality, it's not a difficult language, which i'm sure you can agree with, and his difficulties obviously stem from user error rather than the language's own limitations or shortcomings as he implies.

Now cameronsdad's 'opinion' can be unhelpful, especially with regard to novices, hobbyists, and those just not naturally inclined towards programming. Not a difficult language for whom? You? You would have to also agree that some, more than others, are more inclined to pick up things like programming/scripting. The root is not stupidity, just individual ability...and some may never get it. I can attempt to show others things in my professions (of which programming is not), and with all earnest, try to teach; alas some are never meant to do it or understand it. Obviously any shortcomings for ANYONE stem from the depth of their understanding; and with regard to programming it is 1) the concepts of programming in general and , 2) their familiarity and understanding of the capabilities and weaknesses of any programming language. Yet this does not address whether or not someone is inclined naturally to 'bend code to their will'.

With that said...

After reviewing his / her post history I would certainly agree that he / she comes off with an attitude. Especially towards someone like Valik, whom I regard as someone who has a thorough understanding of programming and applications thereof.

"The feature is a bit too complex for someone like you to understand well, judging by your post. The target audience can't figure out how to use a feature so lets not include it seems to be the mentality of AutoIt development. Anyway I'm moving back to a "real" language, thanks anyway!"

I would speculate that if Idea had such 'knowledge' of other languages, AutoIt wouldn't be problematic...

Lastly, I know your post history. I don't have many posts...heck most of the time I don't even sign in. Yet, I am here enough to read posts to know you have always been helpful in your replies and posts in general. There was no intended inference meant with...

I have seen some members of this forum foster a hostile, elitist attitude towards those who are not the supposed 'code master' that they are...

If you took it personally, I apologize. Yet, advanced members need to remember OR should try to remember, that there are those who don't get it, can't get it, won't get it...no matter how many help files they read; they may not even understand what they just read. It was certainly helpful to me when individuals like ezzetabi came through with working code examples for me to analyze.

It's just about good manners, as you would expect them in "real life". Unfortunately some people forget them as soon as they are online!

Absolutely......unfortunately the internet affords 'anonymity' to all and this works for all sides; some hide behind their avatar as they show off their tremendous communications skills with expletives and h4><0R jargon, some lurk in the wings looking to cause trouble by coming to the forum to write viruses, etc., and some just can't help amusing themselves with the plight of others by poking at them with a stick like the proverbial school yard bully.

If you took it personally, I apologize.

I did not take it personally, so no reason to apologize.

Cheers

Kurt