autoit 3.3.10.0 is HUGE

legend

Well for AutoIt 800k is the usual file size. But 800k for an Interpreter plus the script just depicts unoptimized programming (sorry *Devs). It is an unnecessary file size for a scripting language. Plus: AutoIt "executables" seem to do not meet all requirements of standard Windows PEs. UPX is atm the only packer which deals with this - no other standardized packer (like mpress, A-Pack, MEW, etc.) can compress "valid" AutoIt3 "executables" (once more in quotes :P )

Second: If you release a new "Stable" it needs to be stable, but you can still find major and minor bugs from previous stables and new Bugs caused by the new functions included in Beta development. BTW: The Help file is buggy, too. Some functions are missing completely.

Isn't ment to sound too harsh. Just my 2ct.

Oh and...

If you want the smallest possible executing  programs you'll need to learn to write in binary which no one does.
If you want number 2 on the list you will have to go with assembly.

Thats just plain wrong. You can jsut use any compiled language you want, using plain assembly won't make your program magically smaller neither does it make your development easier. Just look what's possible in 64k with C++: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=25774 (you can get the Sourcecode online).

Edited by minx

I will answer every single PM, and you are free to ask anything anytime.

• Developers

Isn't ment to sound too harsh. Just my 2ct.

Wondering what you have contributed during its 1 year of Beta stage to improve this?

Just my 2 cents.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Didn't say I did. (However, I'm not an AutoIt Developer and couldn't possibly have changed anything) AutoIt's a great language.You can get more elaborate solutions in shorter time with it than in other languages (like C++ etc.), but regarding size and compatibility it has its issues  o:)

// Jus to clear that: I'm okay with the size of AutoIt - doesn't matter anymore if your HDDs are TB-sized ;)

Edited by minx

I will answer every single PM, and you are free to ask anything anytime.

• Developers

Didn't say I did. (However, I'm not an AutoIt Developer and couldn't possibly have changed anything) AutoIt's a great language.You can get more elaborate solutions in shorter time with it than in other languages (like C++ etc.), but regarding size and compatibility it has its issues  o:)

// Jus to clear that: I'm okay with the size of AutoIt - doesn't matter anymore if your HDDs are TB-sized ;)

whatever .. The thing is that it is so damn simple to have an opinion and making statements without truly knowing what is happening and then say that you don't want to be harsh but just give your 2 cents worth.

Maybe it would have been more polite to simply STFU, but hey,  that's just my opinion ... and I even haven't done any programming for AutoIt3 so don't feel personally attacked at all.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I still remember I have an argument with a friend about 1 year + ago, he mention a compiled script(no matter what language use) exe filesize must be smaller than 100KB+(cant remember actual figure the argument about).

But now, he doesnt even complaint when an exe filesize exceed 5mb, he now tell me its normal. 

I was like what the heck is the difference between now and 1 year ago.

(However, I'm not an AutoIt Developer and couldn't possibly have changed anything) 

Neither do I, or AZJIO or mlipok or Melba23 or any of the MVPs or anyone actually apart from Jon, but submitting bug reports, making suggestions and just being a positive user is how you can contribute to AutoIt. Shame really.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Personally, I do not use UPX some time.
Mainly because the AV software need more time to check this compressed exe file.

EDIT:
and somehow I do not complain of lack of space, despite the fact that my program mostly after compiling reach the size of 1.8 MByte
Edited by mlipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

I'm surprised nobody is complaining it is taking up to much room on their floppies. :rolleyes:

attachicon.giffloppy 1.png

visual gag added.

I've actually stored a few of my scripts on floppies. I put all the scripts into a single UPX'd CUI, and when space is REALLY low, I'll even compress in a .zip

This saves space by:

• Not including GUI functions - IIRC, don't hold me to this, I haven't needed to do this in about 6 months
  • Not having multiple interpreters / functions - Instead of an interpreter and all the default included functions in each compiled exe there's only one!

If you want to save an additional few kilobytes:

1. Compile the script without UPX
  2. Strip out or Blank all unused resources with a resource editor (Icons {It's a CUI, why do you need icons?}, Menus {This contains the DEFAULT tray icon menu which you shouldn't need if running a CUI}, String Tables {This contains all the error messages for the interpreter, which shouldn't pop-up with proper coding}, and Icon Groups {Same reason as Icons})
  3. Compress with UPX

Back story on floppies:

I was working on my Grandparents machine, which apparently somehow still had some nasty malware on it before they decided to get rid of their internet access. It was an old machine too (Windows XP, 128MB RAM, Single Core) It had no working USB ports and they had broken the disk drive by using it as a cup holder. Leaving the only way to get any tools on their pc was through floppies. I spent a few hours transferring files over by floppies and since most of anti-malware tools were larger than floppies, I had to improvise with Autoit to stop the execution of many as I could.

In hindsight, I probably could have installed 7zip on their machine and just .rar'd everything over and I'm pretty sure there's still some traces of the malware somewhere in their computer.

Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

• Moderators

Didn't say I did. (However, I'm not an AutoIt Developer and couldn't possibly have changed anything)

I'll never understand those who won't expend the effort to try to make the language better with testing or suggestions, but will expend endless amounts of energy mewling about how they don't like the end result.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

The only thing HUGE in AutoIt, is the large community of appreciative users.

*drops the mic and walks off stage.*

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I have a compiled script that reaches ~17.4MB and you don't see me complaining. 

"Just be fred, all we gotta do, just be fred."  -Vocaliod

"That is a Hadouken. A KAMEHAMEHA would have taken him 13 days and 54 episodes to form." - Roden Hoxha

@tabhooked

Clock made of cursors ♣ Desktop Widgets ♣ Water Simulation

Not huge.

More UDF's are required.

Let the setup size be > 50 MB.

:sorcerer:

K L M
------------------
Real Fakenamovich
------------------
K L M
------------------