Rename all files in a folder in numerical order

Go to solution Solved by AndrewG,

Hi

I have a folder "D:/test". It contains N number of jpeg files of same size and sorted alphabetically. I want them to rename. 

Rename 1st file as 1001.jpg, 2nd as 1002.jpg and so on.

Test Data:

2013-12-12.jpg

2013-12-15.jpg

2013-12-17.jpg

Result Data:

1001.jpg

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

Please give suggestion how to do this.

use _FileListToArray() to read the files into array. by default it is sorted, but that may depend on the OS (Win2k for example does not sort), so use _ArraySort() on the array, then loop the array to rename each file in order.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

sure, let me just do a copy/paste from the AutoIt help file:

#include <File.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Local $FileList = _FileListToArray(@DesktopDir)
If @error = 1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "", "No Folders Found.")
    Exit
EndIf
If @error = 4 Then
    MsgBox(0, "", "No Files Found.")
    Exit
EndIf
_ArrayDisplay($FileList, "$FileList")

this example will display a list of files & folders in your Desktop:

but let's start simple, ok? start by reading the help for _FileListToArray() (that reading would be less than a minute, really). then adapt the example to the target folder and file mask, and filter for files only.

i'm sure that when you get the concept of reading the help file and using the examples provided, you will need no further help to apply _ArraySort() and For loop on the array, and FileMove() to rename each file.

if by then you need any help, post whatever code you managed to write, and we will help you to get it running.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

sure, let me just do a copy/paste from the AutoIt help file:

In future just link to the help file, as the examples are likely to change over time. Case in point that example is old and incorrectly formatted.

e.g.

_FileListToArray() ; See the example by clicking on the link.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Dear Orbs

I saw FileMove() function and i could not understand how to rename a file using it.

Test Data:

2013-12-12.jpg

2013-12-15.jpg

2013-12-17.jpg

Result Data:

1001.jpg

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

So, i need to use a variable VAR with initial value 1000. Find 1st file using _FileListArray and rename it as $VAR and then append $VAR by 1 in each loop and then remane 2nd file by new $VAR and so on.

Thanks

To rename...

FileMove(@ScriptDir &'\OldFile.au3', @ScriptDir &'\NewFile.au3') ; v3.3.10.0 of AutoIt explains this.
If in doubt test it.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Building on mikell's example...It might be better to fully qualify the file name and some error checking added...

local $path = 'k:\test\mikell\'     ;   change to your target path
local $ret
Local $hSearch = FileFindFirstFile($path & "*.jpg")
$i = 1
While 1
    $sFileName = FileFindNextFile($hSearch)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    if FileMove($path & $sFileName, $path & String(1000+$i) & ".jpg", 0) = 1 then
        ConsoleWrite($path & $sFileName & ' renamed to ' & $path & String(1000+$i) & ".jpg" & @LF)
    Else
        ConsoleWrite('File rename failed for file = ' & $path & $sFileName & @LF)
    endif
    $i += 1
WEnd
FileClose($hSearch)

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Why not use _FileListToArray()? It's easier and less complicated for the user to understand.

UDF List:

• Solution

Saurabh2k26,

You could also do it this way.

#include <File.au3>
Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)

Global $sPathToFiles = "D:\test\"
Global $newFileName = 1000
Global $aFilesToRename = ""

;Get file names to rename
$aFilesToRename = _FileListToArray($sPathToFiles, "*.jpg", 1)

;Loop through file names to Rename
For $i = 1 To $aFilesToRename[0]

;increment new file name by 1 with each pass of loop. 1001.jpg, 1002.jpg etc
    $newFileName += 1

;Rename files
    FileMove($sPathToFiles & $aFilesToRename[$i], $sPathToFiles & String($newFileName) & ".jpg", 0)

Next

-

This version is a little bit more involved but not by much - here is the script with some error checking and user prompting.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)

Global $sPathToFiles = "D:\test\"
Global $newFileName = 1000
Global $aFilesToRename = ""

_Main()

Func _Main()
    _GetFileNamesToRename()

_ArrayDisplay($aFilesToRename) ;Show me found files

_RenameTheFiles()
EndFunc ;==> _Main()

Func _GetFileNamesToRename()
    $aFilesToRename = _FileListToArray($sPathToFiles, "*.jpg", 1)

;Check if _FileListToArray() returned an error
    If $aFilesToRename = 0 Then
        Select
            Case @error = 1
                Msgbox(48, "Error", "Path not found or invalid." & @CRLF & "Terminating script")
                Exit
            Case @error = 2
                Msgbox(48, "Error", "Invalid file filter. [$sFilter]." & @CRLF & "Terminating script")
                Exit
            Case @error = 3
                Msgbox(48, "Error", "Invalid Flag. [$iFlag]" & @CRLF & "Terminating script")
                Exit
            Case @error = 4
                Msgbox(48, "Error", "No File(s) Found" & @CRLF & "Terminating script")
                Exit
        EndSelect
    EndIf
EndFunc ;==> _GetFileNamesToRename()

Func _RenameTheFiles()
    Local $iMsgboxReturn

;Alert user files are about to be renamed / Ask user for confirmation via buttons
    $iMsgboxReturn = Msgbox(64+1, "Confirm Rename", $aFilesToRename[0] & chr(32) _
                & "File(s) in this directory:" & @CRLF & $sPathToFiles & chr(32) _
                & @CRLF & "will be renamed.")

;Check confirmation (1 = ok btn, 2 = cancel btn)
    If $iMsgboxReturn = 2 Then
        Msgbox(16, "File Rename cancelled", "File Rename canceled." & @CRLF & "Click OK to terminate file rename.")
        Exit
    EndIf

;Loop through file names to Rename
    For $i = 1 To $aFilesToRename[0]

;increment new file name by 1 with each pass of loop
        $newFileName += 1

;Rename files
        FileMove($sPathToFiles & $aFilesToRename[$i], $sPathToFiles & String($newFileName) & ".jpg", 0)

;Alert user files have been renamed
        If $i = $aFilesToRename[0] Then
            MsgBox(64, "Files Renamed", $i & chr(32) & "Files have been renamed.")
            Exit
        EndIf
    Next
EndFunc ;==> _RenameTheFiles()