Macros

rcmaehl

Go to solution Solved by guinness,

If @DesktopRefresh or another Macro (excluding @error, @exitCode, and @extended) returns "0" without quotes, is that an error code? If so where is the documentation for the error codes and meanings for Macro error codes?

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

Does @DesktopRefresh return 0 for you? I've never had a macro not return something unless it was something that doesn't have a return value (i.e. @CRLF) or one of the ones you mentioned.

I've never seen anything related to error codes from one of them.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Does @DesktopRefresh return 0 for you? I've never had a macro not return something unless it was something that doesn't have a return value (i.e. @CRLF) or one of the ones you mentioned.

I've never seen anything related to error codes from one of them.

I've had it occur rarely on a virtual machine, although restarting the script seemed to fix it. I'm guessing it's just an issue with the virtual machine but I'd rather check here to be sure it's not some sort of error code that I don't know about.

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

I imagine it means that it did not succeed.

I'm half tempted to just mark this thread as solved by this post. However, do macros have actual error codes they can return other than just "0" that might be useful for diagnosing why the Macro failed? (E.g. Unsupported OS for older Windows Versions, dll call failed, and other reasons I can't think of)

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

• Solution

Macros don't return error codes, if they did it would have been documented many years ago. System Info Macros simply call various Win32 APIs and store the returned data at the start of when a script is executed e.g. @DesktopHeight uses GetSystemMetrics and the appropriate index value.

May I suggest looking at _WinAPI_EnumDisplaySettings() and the array index [3] to see if the values are the same? If not then perhaps search around a little more.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Macros don't return error codes, if they did it would have been documented many years ago. System Info Macros simply call various Win32 APIs and store the returned data at the start of when a script is executed e.g. @DesktopHeight uses GetSystemMetrics and the appropriate index value.

May I suggest looking at _WinAPI_EnumDisplaySettings() and the array index [3] to see if the values are the same? If not then perhaps search around a little more.

After spamming execution of a message box with both @DesktopRefresh and _WinAPI_EnumDisplaySettings() index 3, when @DesktopRefresh finally failed, WinAPI displayed the correct value. So I'm guessing WinAPI is the way to go when this issue is encountered.

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

Well it could be the "b" word in @DesktopRefresh but then you have been vague on what you tried this on?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Well it could be the "b" word in @DesktopRefresh but then you have been vague on what you tried this on?

Windows 7 SP1 32-bit running inside Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit. 2GB allocated to it out 8GB. 2 Cores allocated to it out of 4. Virtual Screen Size 1024x768 on my 1440x900 monitor. Guest Additions Installed.

Physical Specs:

Asrock 970 Extreme3 (First Release)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor

2 x 4GB Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 (MemTested every 6 months)

Not listing HDDs because those shouldn't matter.

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

I will redirect the powers that be to this thread.

Edit: I won't bother asking why you don't just run Windows 7 along side Ubuntu.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I will redirect the powers that be to this thread.

Edit: I won't bother asking why you don't just run Windows 7 along side Ubuntu.

I was, then I upgraded to Windows 8.1 because I got it free from HP.

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

• Administrators

It's currently using GetDeviceCaps() for this. But the MSDN notes say: "GetDeviceCaps reports info that the display driver provides. If the display driver declines to report any info, GetDeviceCaps calculates the info based on fixed calculations. If the display driver reports invalid info, GetDeviceCaps returns the invalid info"

What is the code that is giving the correct values? I will look at changing it to that.

It's currently using GetDeviceCaps() for this. But the MSDN notes say: "GetDeviceCaps reports info that the display driver provides. If the display driver declines to report any info, GetDeviceCaps calculates the info based on fixed calculations. If the display driver reports invalid info, GetDeviceCaps returns the invalid info"

What is the code that is giving the correct values? I will look at changing it to that.

_WinAPI_EnumDisplaySettings('', $ENUM_CURRENT_SETTINGS)[3]

Works when

@DesktopRefresh

Fails.

I'm guessing, based on your explanation, that this is very likely an issue with VirtualBox's display driver reporting invalid info on very rare occasions than an issue with AutoIt.

P.S. No macro highlighting on the forums?

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

P.S. No macro highlighting on the forums?

Local $sMypath = @ScriptDir

"Just be fred, all we gotta do, just be fred."  -Vocaliod

"That is a Hadouken. A KAMEHAMEHA would have taken him 13 days and 54 episodes to form." - Roden Hoxha

@tabhooked

Clock made of cursors ♣ Desktop Widgets ♣ Water Simulation

rcmaehl,

Maybe try _WinAPI_GetDeviceCaps() as Jon suggested they use in AutoIt.

UDF List: