Re-write of _FileWriteToLine()

guinness

Could you guys test this to see if I haven't messed anything up. It now uses the native FileReadToArray() instead of FileRead() and a regular expression.

#include <FileConstants.au3>

Local $hFileOpen = FileOpen('Test.txt', $FO_OVERWRITE)
For $i = 1 To 100
    FileWriteLine($hFileOpen, $i)
Next
FileClose($hFileOpen)
_FileWriteToLine('Test.txt', 10, 'Line_10', 1)
ConsoleWrite(@error & @CRLF)

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Author ........: cdkid
; Modified.......: partypooper, MrCreatoR, guinness
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _FileWriteToLine($sFilePath, $iLine, $sText, $iOverWrite = 0)
    If $iLine <= 0 Then Return SetError(4, 0, 0)
    If Not IsString($sText) Then
        $sText = String($sText)
        If $sText = "" Then Return SetError(6, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    If $iOverWrite <> 0 And $iOverWrite <> 1 Then Return SetError(5, 0, 0)
    If FileExists($sFilePath) = 0 Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)

Local $aArray = FileReadToArray($sFilePath)
    Local $iUBound = UBound($aArray) - 1
    If ($iUBound + 1) < $iLine Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

Local $hFileOpen = FileOpen($sFilePath, FileGetEncoding($sFilePath) + $FO_OVERWRITE)
    If $hFileOpen = -1 Then Return SetError(3, 0, 0)

Local $sData = ""
    $iLine -= 1 ; Now the array is 0-based, so reduce the line number by 1.
    For $i = 0 To $iUBound
        If $i = $iLine Then
            If $iOverWrite Then
                If $sText Then $sData &= $sText & @CRLF
            Else
                $sData &= $sText & @CRLF & $aArray[$i] & @CRLF
            EndIf
        ElseIf $i < $iUBound Then
            $sData &= $aArray[$i] & @CRLF
        ElseIf $i = $iUBound Then
            $sData &= $aArray[$i]
        EndIf
    Next

FileWrite($hFileOpen, $sData)
    FileClose($hFileOpen)
    Return 1
EndFunc   ;==>_FileWriteToLine
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing I'd change in the demo script is the line number you're inserting to, or change what you're inserting. The text says line 10, you're inserting it in line 1. :D

BTW, other than that it works very well.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Whoops, it was just some left over testing to check it was working correctly. Thanks.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Is the $iOverwrite param necessary?  Doesn't seem to do anything different to me.  OK, I tested it wrong, it doesn't overwrite the file.  But why?

Edited by jaberwocky6669

It overwrites the line instead of inserting it at that line number. So 10 would become Line_10.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

One thing.  I see that $text is tested in this line:

If $sText Then $sData &= $sText & @CRLF

Though it's tested previously:

If $sText = "" Then Return SetError(6, 0, 0)

Maybe the 2nd line here should be brought out of the If and tested regardless.

Edited by jaberwocky6669

You don't need to be a regex wizard.

Local $sData = ""

For $i = 1 To 10
    $sData &= "Line " & $i & @CRLF
Next

MsgBox(0, "Before", $sData)

Local $iLine = 5, $fOverwrite = True

$sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, "((?:.*?\R){" & ($iLine - 1) & "})(.*?\R)", "${1}" & ($fOverwrite ? "" : "${2}") & "New Line 5" & @CRLF, 1)

MsgBox(0, "After", $sData)

Can't you write some regexp to insert lines? Looping through the whole array doesn't seem too efficient.

Forum community has some very good regexp freaks, maybe they could help.

You don't need to be a regex wizard.

Local $sData = ""

For $i = 1 To 10
Next

MsgBox(0, "Before", $sData)

$sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, "((?:.*?\R){" & ($iLine - 1) & "})(.*?\R)", "${1}" & ($fOverwrite ? "" : "${2}") & "New Line 5" & @CRLF, 1)

MsgBox(0, "After", $sData)

I dunno why I didn't think of that, I changed to regular expression for counting lines as well as _FileReadToArray(). 

UDF List:

Mat, 

This is correct...

$sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, "((?:.*?\R){" & ($iLine - 1) & "})(.*?\R)", "${1}" & (($fOverwrite And $sText = "") ? "": (($fOverwrite ? "" : "${2}") & $sText & @CRLF)), 1)

UDF List:

Only problem is that the replacement text can't include "1" or anything that would normally refer to a matched group. Any ideas?

$sText = StringReplace($sText, "", "") ; Escape backslashes.

UDF List:

Now similar to the functionality of _FileWriteToLine() where an empty string and overwrite set to True will delete the line.

Local $sData = ""

For $i = 1 To 10
Next

MsgBox(4096, "Before", $sData)

Local $sText = "\1"

$sText = StringReplace($sText, "\", "\\")
$sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, "((?:.*?\R){" & ($iLine - 1) & "})(.*?\R)", "${1}" & (($fOverwrite And $sText = "") ? "" : (($fOverwrite ? "" : "${2}") & $sText & @CRLF)), 1)

MsgBox(4096, "After", $sData)

UDF List:

According to man pcrelimit, the maximum value for a repeating quantifier is 65536. If we think we are going to hit that limit, then it's a bit of extra code to match a group of 65536 lines and then another group to match some more.

I've worked with CSV files larger than that, so it is conceivable. 

Edit: Something like:

Func _WriteToLine($sData, $iLine, $sText, $fOverwrite = 0)

; Escape matched group references in replacement text
    $sText = StringReplace($sText, "$", "\$")

$iLine -= 1

Local $sPattern = "("

While $iLine > 65536
        $iLine -= 65536
        $sPattern &= "(?:.*?\R){65536}"
    WEnd

If $iLine Then $sPattern &= "(?:.*?\R){" & $iLine & "}"

$sPattern &= ")(.*?\R)"

$sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, $sPattern, "${1}" & (($fOverwrite And $sText = "") ? "" : (($fOverwrite ? "" : "${2}") & $sText & @CRLF)), 1)

Return $sData
EndFunc   ;==>_WriteToLine
Edited by Mat

If people could test Mat's function then we can continue looking at adding it to the UDFs. Thanks.

UDF List:

This is what I got:

When I ran this:

For $i = 1 To 100
Next
FileClose($hFileOpen)
_WriteToLine('Test.txt', 10, 'Line_10', 1)

Func _WriteToLine($sData, $iLine, $sText, $fOverwrite = 0)
    ; Escape matched group references in replacement text
    $sText = StringReplace($sText, "$", "\$")

$iLine -= 1

Local $sPattern = "("

While $iLine > 65536
        $iLine -= 65536
        $sPattern &= "(?:.*?\R){65536}"
    WEnd

If $iLine Then $sPattern &= "(?:.*?\R){" & $iLine & "}"

$sPattern &= ")(.*?\R)"

$sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, $sPattern, "${1}" & (($fOverwrite And $sText = "") ? "" : (($fOverwrite ? "" : "${2}") & $sText & @CRLF)), 1)

Return $sData
EndFunc   ;==>_WriteToLine

jaberwocky6669,

Mat's function isn't complete, here try this..

For $i = 1 To 100
Next
FileClose($hFileOpen)
Local $sData = FileRead('Test.txt')
$sData = _WriteToLine($sData, 10, 'Line_10', 1)
ConsoleWrite($sData & @CRLF)

UDF List: