Forum Upgrade to 2.1.0

Jon

• Administrators

I will be attempting to upgrade the forum software to IPB 2.1.0 on Friday sometime (likely in the morning GMT). Don't panic if the forum is down for a while.

Taster for some new features (in addition to various minor improvements and fixes):

New Feature: WYSIWYG Editing

IPB 2.1 comes with Rich Text Editing capabilities (also known as WYSIWYG). This editor, which works in IE 5.5+, Mozilla and Firefox (Safari is being worked upon) makes it much easier to generate posts which require a lot of formatting.

To enable rich text editing, make sure you're logged into the board as a member. Click on "My Controls" and click on "Board Settings".

This is a per-user option and the administrator has the option of disabling the rich text editor board wide.

The standard editor has been recoded to look like the rich text editor for consistency.

New Feature: Topic Rating

IPB 2.1 can now let your members rate topics. This can be enabled on a per-forum basis and you can enable rating on a per-group basis. You can also allow your members to change their rating (on a per-group basis, also). We have enabled rating in our community forums and in the customer's chat forum.

New Feature: Multiple Polls

IPB 2.1 can now let your members create multiple question polls. The administrator can set the maximum number of allowed questions and the maximum number of allowed choices per question. The poll form utilizes javascript to enable you to manage your poll without the need to refresh the page. You'll notice that there no longer appears to be a "Add Poll" button. When creating a new topic you can optionally create a poll at the same time. Editing the first post in a topic with a poll lets you edit the poll (when allowed) or to delete the poll (where allowed)

New Feature: In-line editing

Moderators can now edit a topic's title simply by double clicking the topic's table cell. This changes the topic title into a little text box. Clicking away from the text box updates the topic title and saves the edit. All without refreshing the page!

New Feature: PM Notice

IPB 2.1 has a new style PM notice. When you have a new PM, you'll notice a semi-transparent box in the bottom left hand corner of your browser. You can drag this to any point on the screen and IPB will show the PM notice box there from then on. You can click the "1/2" link to cycle through your PMs without leaving the screen.

New Feature: Get New Posts

When you click "Get New Posts" in the board header, you'll be provided with an instant review of them without the need to leave the page you're on. This is a very handy feature and will auto-update on each click!

New Feature: Member Name Auto Complete

When you compose a new PM, typing three characters or more into the "Recipients" box will bring up a list of possible matches. You can use your cursor keys to scroll through them, or your mouse or simply continue typing and the list will update until you click away from the name box.

• Administrators

Board upgraded.

I had to remove the non-english language packs as they weren't compatible with the new version - i'll add them in when available.

To turn on the rich text editor you must go into My Controls \ Options \ Board Settings \ Type of text editor to use when posting

I'm still checking for things I may have broken, post in "Chat" if you notice anything.

• 4 weeks later...