Where to begin?

Armed with the resources mentioned above ask yourself what sort of program do you want to make?  I'd start small though and stick with simple stuff until you learn more.  Basically, learn the basic concepts of programming first.  Some concepts include problem solving, sequence, selection, iteration, etc.

I'll agree with michaelslamet's post also. There is example code for just about every native AutoIt function in the Help file/manual/documentation. Run some of those examples to see how it all works. And after you've read thru the Help file, read thru it again! Welcome to this forum!

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Take it from me. I started using AutoIt about 6 months ago. The only thing I knew was a little QB and VB from college 10 years ago. I dabbled with the example scripts and looked through the forums here. I even drew out on paper what I wanted one of my scripts to do. Now I have one script that was approved for use here at work and I am working on another. They are nothing huge and extraordinary, but it is better than what we had before it went live. Read, read, read and give it a try. I did a lot of learning from making mistakes with the code. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I have asked some (what I thought was really stupid) questions here and I have gotten nothing but loads of help.

• Moderators

Bearpocalypse,

I have gotten nothing but loads of help

Delighted to hear that. :thumbsup:

I would like to think this opinion is shared by the overwhelming majority of members. Certainly those who make some effort to help themselves - it is only the lazy ones who expect everything done for them that tend to get short shrift. ;)

onlinethlive,

Reading the Help file (at least the first few sections - Using AutoIt, Tutorials and the first couple of References) will help you enormously. You should also look at this excellent tutorial - as you have already been told, you will find other tutorials in the Wiki. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Armed with the resources mentioned above ask yourself what sort of program do you want to make?  I'd start small though and stick with simple stuff until you learn more.  Basically, learn the basic concepts of programming first.  Some concepts include problem solving, sequence, selection, iteration, etc.

I would like to create basic math programs right now. (where I could create a program that would solve for let's say, the area of a cube)

online.png?theme=dark profile for Tom on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites 

scientia potentia est

Bearpocalypse,

Delighted to hear that. :thumbsup:

I would like to think this opinion is shared by the overwhelming majority of members. Certainly those who make some effort to help themselves - it is only the lazy ones who expect everything done for them that tend to get short shrift. ;)

onlinethlive,

Reading the Help file (at least the first few sections - Using AutoIt, Tutorials and the first couple of References) will help you enormously. You should also look at this excellent tutorial - as you have already been told, you will find other tutorials in the Wiki. :)

M23

Thank you!!

online.png?theme=dark profile for Tom on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites 

scientia potentia est

Take it from me. I started using AutoIt about 6 months ago. The only thing I knew was a little QB and VB from college 10 years ago. I dabbled with the example scripts and looked through the forums here. I even drew out on paper what I wanted one of my scripts to do. Now I have one script that was approved for use here at work and I am working on another. They are nothing huge and extraordinary, but it is better than what we had before it went live. Read, read, read and give it a try. I did a lot of learning from making mistakes with the code. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I have asked some (what I thought was really stupid) questions here and I have gotten nothing but loads of help.

Feel like I type that one myself :P

Just like to say thanks to everyone who replied so quickly. I looked at this site, http://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Tutorial_Core_Language, and I am kind of confused. I programmed on my casio calculator but it is nothing like this. Is there a tutorial for totally new developers? Thank you again for your help!!

That one is pretty basic. It is a tutorial for totally new developers :)

Take sometime to read, try, read, try it over and over again.

Just dont spend your whole saturday and sunday for this, or you'll need to sleep at the sofa on the next day (personal experience) :D

Well, just take the advice dispensed in the previous posts and start somewhere.  You can always ask here and in other forums when you have questions.

• Moderators

This is probably one of the hardest issues when you first start. I recently directed someone to AutoIt, and he remarked that he is likewise struggling to come up with his first idea. Once you have something in mind that you want to accomplish, however, your learning will begin to pick up speed.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

ok, here is my first (of many) questions,

I finished the tutorial -  notepad, here it is-

This is the au3 file https://copy.com/wR0gTV3PEMNR

And this is the exe fiile- https://copy.com/AYeGCv0Y2dEE

Now, the au3 file works properly on my computer but the exe seems to run again and again(So when you run the exe, you may have to log off and login again to stop it from running)

scientia potentia est

in every _GUI function in AutoIt you will see something like this

While 1
        $GUIMsg = GUIGetMsg()

Switch $GUIMsg
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch
    WEnd

that is needed to be able to close the window when clicking on the red X in the corner.

Also, I don't know about others, but I think you should post your code in this forum, not on another where things need to be downloaded, etc.