How to open the Start Menu properties with Run()

Guillermo

Hi.

I'm writing a script to customize WinXP look and feel.

So far, I've been able to open all windows I need executing .cpl files with AutoIt

Run(@COMSPEC & " /c Start desk.cpl")
instead of having to send keys to open them.

But I can't find any to open the Task Bar / Start Menu properties. As far as in the Control Panel there's an icon for the Start Menu, I thought there must be a .cpl too.

Can anyone help or suggest an aternative way?

Thanks,

Guillermo

Edited by Guillermo

But I can't find any to open the Task Bar / Start Menu properties. As far as in the Control Panel there's an icon for the Start Menu, I thought there must be a .cpl too.

There is no *.cpl for that. However, you can use this:

Run(@COMSPEC & " /c Start RunDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Options_RunDLL 1")

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

I hope I'll ever be able to understand it.

RunDLL32.EXE loads a windows DLL and executes the given function with the parameter.

So, RunDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Options_RunDLL 1, loads shell32.dll and runs the (undocumented) function Options_RunDLL with parameter 1 (= Start Menu properties). Rundll32.exe is a plain Windows tools.

Cheers

Kurt

Edited by /dev/null

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

RunDLL32.EXE loads a windows DLL and executes the given function with the parameter.

So, RunDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Options_RunDLL 1, loads shell32.dll and runs the (undocumented) function Options_RunDLL with parameter 1 (= Start Menu properties). Rundll32.exe is a plain Windows tools.

Cheers

Kurt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Supernatural,

Thanks a lot.

Can something similar to this (rundll) be done to quickly open Start -> Run...

I am working on an "Enhanced" version of the Run dialog box. Also, I would like for my AutoIT .exe to be activated if someone clicks on Start -> Run, instead of the default. Is this possible? Maybe by a registry entry?

Thanks,

-John

Edited by jftuga

Can something similar to this (rundll) be done to quickly open Start -> Run...

I am working on an "Enhanced" version of the Run dialog box.  Also, I would like for my AutoIT .exe to be activated if someone clicks on Start -> Run, instead of the default.  Is this possible?  Maybe by a registry entry?

Sorry, I don't know how to do that or if it's even possible...

Cheers

Kurt

Edited by /dev/null

I am working on an "Enhanced" version of the Run dialog box. Also, I would like for my AutoIT .exe to be activated if someone clicks on Start -> Run, instead of the default. Is this possible? Maybe by a registry entry?

For what it's worth, there's an excellent command line app called SlickRun. It's changed completely the way I work with my computer. It's simply amazing all the things that can be done with it and AutoIt together. ;)

-Guillermo