Completing Java-based forms without a browser

Hello everyone,

First, I am fairly new to AutoIT and coding in general. I work in IT, but this is not my area. However, I wanted to learn new things, and I must say the forums here are filled with useful information. You guys are great.

Now, I have tried using the advanced search for this, but keep coming up empty handed. I am attempting to fill in a java-based form with a dropdown selection and then a username/password box. The issue i'm having is I am not sure how to force AutoIT to select the correct boxes without having ID/Name available to me in browsers. I am trying to avoid using things like Send ("{TAB}") as for some this will be the first time they use it (thus the form being empty) while others it will be the 100th time meaning the username and dropdown may already be filled in.

Here is what the screen looks like:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7WdpJLMgb32c2twa0RYQzdXeFU/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a link to the .jar file if anyone is interested (can't attach):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7WdpJLMgb32MHk4RmxyMDh3Yzg/edit?usp=sharing

Since this runs through java there is no browser so using something like F12 like you would in Chrome doesn't give me any information concerning the form.

Sorry for the drive link and not a direct image. I'm on a domain and can't upload to most places from here. I feel like I'm missing something very simple with this script, but maybe it's not possible?Thanks for any help you can give me.

Here is the command to run the file:

ShellExecute('java', '-jar "gradebook.jar', 'C:\Documents and Settings\ct253704\Desktop')

Sleep (6000)

I would like to make this script run on Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows XP if possible as well.

Edited by ct253704

• Moderators

AutoIt interacts with the Windows API, so you are inherently going to have difficulty with Java applications. If you are not getting any information back from the AutoIt Window Info tool regarding the window or its elements, you may have no choice but to resort to Sends and Mouseclicks.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

AutoIt interacts with the Windows API, so you are inherently going to have difficulty with Java applications. If you are not getting any information back from the AutoIt Window Info tool regarding the window or its elements, you may have no choice but to resort to Sends and Mouseclicks.

Thanks for the response, good to know my difficulties aren't entirely unwarranted. I'll play with it a little more.