Beta Array.au3 code - testing and comments welcomed

Melba23

• Moderators

Deadline of 1800 UTC 28 Jan 14 for bug reports, comments and suggestions

Thread closed - final Beta code here

I have rewritten the Array.au3 include file to support 2D arrays where possible. I would be grateful if people would test it rigourously as I never seem to find all the things that can go wrong. :)

Note: You need the Beta 3.3.11.3 to run this code - it is Beta itself after all. ;)

Current public functions and any changes made:

_ArrayAdd:  Now supports 2D arrays.  Data for addition to 2D arrays can be a single value, a delimited string or another 1D array.  The delimiter and the column in which the insertion is to start can be user-defined.

_ArrayBinarySearch:  Now supports 2D arrays searching in columns.

_ArrayColDelete: New function to delete a column from an array.  Optional to convert to 1D if only 1 column left.

_ArrayColInsert:  New function to insert a column into an array.  Converts 1D to 2D automatically.

_ArrayCombinations: Unchanged

_ArrayConcatenate: Will concatenate 2D arrays with the same number of columns.

_ArrayDelete: Now supports 2D arrays.  Will also delete multiple rows if passed either a range string detailing the rows ("3:7-9:15-25;56") or a 1D array of all the rows to be deleted with a count in the [0] element.

_ArrayDisplay:  Unchanged

_ArrayExtract:  New function to return a section of the source array as defined by the user.

_ArrayFindAll: Unchanged

_ArrayInsert: Now supports 2D arrays.  Data for insertion into 2D arrays can be a single value, a delimited string or another 1D array.  The delimiter and the column in which the insertion is to start can be user-defined.

_ArrayMax: Now supports 2D arrays

_ArrayMaxIndex: Now supports 2D arrays

_ArrayMin: Now supports 2D arrays

_ArrayMinIndex: Now supports 2D arrays

_ArrayPermute: Unchanged

_ArrayPop: Unchanged

_ArrayPush: Unchanged

_ArrayReverse: Unchanged

_ArraySearch: Now supports searching rows as well as columns

_ArraySort: Unchanged

_ArraySwap: Removed from library. SCRIPT BREAKING!!!!!

_ArrayToClip:  Now a simple wrapper for _ArrayToClip - so default delimiter is now "|" and not @CR. SCRIPT BREAKING!!!!!

_ArrayToString: Now supports 2D arrays - user-defined delimiters between items and rows.  SCRIPT BREAKING!!!!!

_ArrayTranspose: New and improved jchd code.  Automatically changes from 1D to 2D and vice versa if needed

_ArrayTrim: Now supports 2D arrays

_ArrayUnique: Column number now 0-based not 1-based - this is for consistency with all other array functions. SCRIPT BREAKING!!!!!
Here is a zip with the new include (Array_New.au3) and examples for each of the modified/new functions showing the new behaviour and syntax:

If you run into any problems then do let me know - please provide both the array and the code you used so I can debug properly. And please also comment if you feel that any of the changes I have made are not what should have been done - although I would ask that you provide good reasons for your opposition. ;)

Thanks in advance to those who test. :)

M23

Edited by Melba23
Code removed

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Looks perfect :thumbsup:

I've tested all functions and get the expected results.

_ArrayMaxIndex confused me a bit until I realized that StringSplit added a count at the top of array $avArray :)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Is all functions are first class?

i hoped someday heavy _Array_..() functions move to internal...

but anyway - shouldn't this functionality be part of ReDim() function ?

_ArrayColDelete: New function to delete a column from an array. 
_ArrayColInsert:  New function to insert a column into an array.

also - why remove and get script breaking change? Is it interfere with something?

_ArraySwap: Removed from library. SCRIPT BREAKING!!!!!
Edited by Iczer

but anyway - shouldn't this functionality be part of ReDim() function ?

_ArrayColDelete: New function to delete a column from an array. 
_ArrayColInsert:  New function to insert a column into an array.
No, you can't use just ReDim to add/remove columns because it will delete the contents of the array when you do that. These functions preserve the contents and just add/remove a column to an existing array. Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

Iczer,

Is all functions are first class?

i hoped someday heavy _Array_..() functions move to internal...

I only have a red banner - not a green one..... :whistle:

shouldn't this functionality be part of ReDim()

What BrewManNH said. ;)

why remove and get script breaking change?

Have you looked at the current function? Firstly, it has nothing to do with arrays and so should not be in this library; next, it is so simple that it should never have been an #include function in the first place; and finally, its awfulness offended even my hobbyist coder sensibility. :D

All,

Without wishing to pick on Iczer, that was exactly the sort of post I was hoping not to see - a pure moan rather than sensible comment or reasoned argument about the new/modified functions. I hope my attitude to comments is sufficiently well-known that people realise that I will not take offence if you point out even the stupidest mistakes (that I hope I have not made). All I want is to get a better Array include for the next release - so by all means post, but please make the comments relevant. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

No, you can't use just ReDim to add/remove columns because it will delete the contents of the array when you do that. These functions preserve the contents and just add/remove a column to an existing array.

You think i would ask if i do not know current functionality of ReDim() ? it seems my english is not that good - i mean : shouldn't this functionality be MADE part of ReDim() function ? Very logical extension i may say. Or it not possible from some point of view?

Iczer,

I only have a red banner - not a green one..... :whistle:

:shhh:  :lol: 

Have you looked at the current function? Firstly, it has nothing to do with arrays and so should not be in this library; next, it is so simple that it should never have been an #include function in the first place; and finally, its awfulness offended even my hobbyist coder sensibility. :D

but it was added for some reason?  i'm just happen to hate script breaking changes piling up , dont mind me :bye:

I long ago already not use function _ArrayAdd because it is very slow. I propose to add two more functions in the UDF and little change _ArrayAdd function, to compensate for this deficiency:

#Region
Global Const $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS = 0
Global Const $UBOUND_ROWS = 1
Global Const $UBOUND_COLUMNS = 2
Global Const $STR_ENTIRESPLIT = 1
Global Const $STR_NOCOUNT = 2
#EndRegion

Global $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[1][2]

Func _ArrayBeginUpdate(ByRef $avArray)
    If Not IsArray($avArray) Or UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS) > 2 Then Return SetError(1)
    For $i = 1 To $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[0][0]
        If $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$i][0] == $avArray Then
            Return 1
        EndIf
    Next
    $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[0][0] += 1
    ReDim $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[0][0] + 1][2]
    $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[0][0]][0] = $avArray
    $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[0][0]][1] = UBound($avArray)
    Return 1
EndFunc

Func _ArrayEndUpdate(ByRef $avArray)
    If Not IsArray($avArray) Then Return SetError(1)
    Local $iRet
    For $i = 1 To $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[0][0]
        If $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$i][0] == $avArray Then
            Switch UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS)
                Case 1
                    ReDim $avArray[$ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$i][1]]
                Case 2
                    ReDim $avArray[$ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$i][1]][UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_COLUMNS)]
            EndSwitch
            $iRet = 1
        ElseIf $iRet Then
            $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$i - 1][0] = $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$i][0]
            $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$i - 1][1] = $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$i][1]
        EndIf
    Next
    If $iRet Then
        $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[0][0] -= 1
        ReDim $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[0][0] + 1][2]
        Return $iRet
    Else
        Return SetError(2)
    EndIf
EndFunc

Func _ArrayAdd(ByRef $avArray, $vValue, $iStart = 0, $sDelim = "|")

If $iStart = Default Then $iStart = 0
    If $sDelim = Default Then $sDelim = "|"
    If Not IsArray($avArray) Then Return SetError(1, 0, -1)
    Local $iDim_1 = UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_ROWS)
    Local $iFastProc
    For $j = 1 To $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[0][0]
        If $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$j][0] == $avArray Then
            $iFastProc = $j
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next
    Switch UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS)
        Case 1
            If $iFastProc Then
                $iDim_1 = $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$iFastProc][1]
                $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$iFastProc][1] += 1
                If UBound($avArray) < $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$iFastProc][1] Then
                    ReDim $avArray[2 * $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$iFastProc][1]]
                EndIf
            Else
                ReDim $avArray[$iDim_1 + 1]
            EndIf
            $avArray[$iDim_1] = $vValue
            Return $iDim_1
        Case 2
            Local $iDim_2 = UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_COLUMNS)
            If $iStart < 0 Or $iStart > $iDim_2 - 1 Then Return SetError(3, 0, -1)
            If $iFastProc Then
                $iDim_1 = $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$iFastProc][1]
                $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$iFastProc][1] += 1
                If UBound($avArray) < $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$iFastProc][1] Then
                    ReDim $avArray[2 * $ARRAY_FAST_UPDATE[$iFastProc][1]][$iDim_2]
                EndIf
            Else
                ReDim $avArray[$iDim_1 + 1][$iDim_2]
            EndIf
            If IsArray($vValue) Then
                If UBound($vValue, $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS) <> 1 Then Return SetError(4, 0, -1)
            Else
                $vValue = StringSplit($vValue, $sDelim, $STR_NOCOUNT + $STR_ENTIRESPLIT)
            EndIf
            Local $iDim_Val = UBound($vValue, $UBOUND_ROWS)
            For $j = 0 To $iDim_2 - 1
                If $j < $iStart Then
                    $avArray[$iDim_1][$j] = ""
                ElseIf $j - $iStart > $iDim_Val - 1 Then
                    $avArray[$iDim_1][$j] = ""
                Else
                    $avArray[$iDim_1][$j] = $vValue[$j - $iStart]
                EndIf
            Next
        Case Else
            Return SetError(2, 0, -1)
    EndSwitch

Return UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_ROWS)
EndFunc

#Region example
Dim $aTmp[0]
$timer = TimerInit()

_ArrayBeginUpdate($aTmp)
For $i = 1 To 2000
    _ArrayAdd($aTmp, $i)
Next
_ArrayEndUpdate($aTmp)

ConsoleWrite('->' & TimerDiff($timer) & @CRLF)
#EndRegion example

Similarly, we can accelerate other functions containing ReDim.

What's the difference between that and _ArrayConcatenate and StringSplit?

Using StringSplit constitutes acceptance of the loss of data types, and must ensure that the separator is not found in the data.

What is different _ArrayAdd from _ArrayConcatenate can view Help.

• Moderators

asdf8,

While I appeciate the ingenuity of your solution, there seem to be even faster ways to append multiple values to an array - just use _ArrayConcatenate (as Mat suggested) or use ReDim and then copy over the values:

#Region example
; Create an array to hold the elements to be appended
Global $aFill[2000]
For $i = 0 To 1999
    $aFill[$i] = $i
Next

Global $aTmp[0]
$timer = TimerInit()
For $i = 1 To 2000
    _ArrayAdd($aTmp, $aFill[$i - 1]) ; The function in the Beta library <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Next
ConsoleWrite("UDF: " & TimerDiff($timer) & @CRLF)

Global $aTmp[0]
$timer = TimerInit()
_ArrayBeginUpdate($aTmp)
For $i = 1 To 2000
    _ArrayAdd_asdf8($aTmp, $aFill[$i -1]) ; I renamed the function you posted above <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Next
_ArrayEndUpdate($aTmp)
ConsoleWrite("asdf8: " & TimerDiff($timer) & @CRLF)

Global $aTmp[0]
$timer = TimerInit()
_ArrayConcatenate($aTmp, $aFill)
ConsoleWrite("Concat: " & TimerDiff($timer) & @CRLF)

Global $aTmp[0]
$timer = TimerInit()
ReDim $aTmp[2000]
For $i = 1 To 2000
    $aTmp[$i - 1] = $aFill[$i - 1]
Next
ConsoleWrite("ReDim: " & TimerDiff($timer) & @CRLF)
#EndRegion example
I get 1600 - 85 - 8 - 7 ms as average timings. :)

On a wider note, I did rewrite _ArrayDelete to accept multiple deletions in one pass which dramatically improved the speed when that was required. I was considering how I might do the same for ArrayInsert but decided not to do so as it all got too complex. I will revisit the matter to see if I can at least do it for _Array Add where the problem is considerably simpler - and perhaps think again about _ArrayInsert too. ;)

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

Hi,

Spurred on by asdf8 I have rewritten _ArrayAdd to carry out multiple insertions to prevent too namy ReDim calls - and here is the result. I have added a $iMulti flag which works like this:

<snip>

Now to see if I can get _ArrayInsert to play nicely with multiple inserts as well. :whistle:

M23

Edited by Melba23
Code removed

Spoiler

I wrote an arraybinarysearch that works with 2D arrays, it's basically just the normal _ABS with the option to search on a specific "column" of the array. Much like how ArraySearch works, but binary.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

Hi,

I cannot find a suitable logic for multiple inserts - how do you deal with the required indices given that their initial location will change as the other items are inserted above them. An example of what I mean:

Original  - Insert 1,3 
            This way?                         Or this way?

0           0                                 0
1           New A ; Item 1                    New A
2           1                                 1
3           New B ; item 3 in new array       2
4           2                                 New B ; above item 3 in old array
            3                                 3
            4                                 4
As I am certain that there will never be agreement on which is the correct way to do it, I have decided to concentrate on other things and _ArrayInsert will remain a one-shot function. _ArrayAdd & _ArrayDelete both now have multiple options, so as MeatLoaf used to sing 2 out of 3 ain't bad. :D

M23

Spoiler

It's nice to see Array.au3 updated to work with 2D arrays, and this is very nice work.  I did notice something, some of the 2D support added, as well as 2D support already in some function, seems to only be for working with columns, and not rows.  For example, _ArraySearch is not included in the update to full 2D support.  So you are only able to search columns, and not rows.  I use this >Array2D UDF quite a bit, and _Array2D_Search has the option for searching rows, as well as columns.  Searching rows is very helpful, like when row 0 are column headers that could change position as you add and remove columns.  Also, I noticed that _ArraySwap was removed, which I do not see a problem with.  In the Array2D UDF, there is a nice function called _Array2D_SwapByIndex, which allows you to swap entire rows, or columns, this may be more useful to add.  There may be other functions in the Array2D UDF that could be useful to add to Array.au3.  

Thanks again for working on this update.

Adam
Edited by AdamUL

• Moderators

Couldn't tell from your post if you were asking why _ArraySwap was removed, or just suggesting an alternative. Just to reiterate what has been stated already, the original _ArraySwap was literally 3 lines of (badly written) code, which could easily be reproduced, and didn't really belong in Array.au3 to begin with. Thus the removal with this update.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!