Is AutoIt what I need?

Hello good people!

I would like to automate a certain procedure I have to do quite often on my PC (Windows 7). I wonder if that's possible with AutoIt.

I made a video about exactly what I'd like the script to do, because I'm novice at that and I'm not able to figure it out alone (yet). :)

The language is hokey. Example: how you declare a variable, depends on what your using it for. If it's going to be in a loop its done one way, if your using it for comparison, like a if/then statement its done a different way. 

Thanks for your time

botom line is that where you ask that answer youl get. you asked on autoit forum so normally you mostly get that "autoit is better tool", and vice versa for other languages for something that is this specific like your question.

314887248_choosing_a_doctor1_xlarge.gif

the sintaxis that suit you for understanding (help files included in that, and forum support) will be your best choice regardless of which one will it bee.

You will need to decide on your own. And start to work with it.

TCP server and client - Learning about TCP servers and clients connection
Au3 oIrrlicht - Irrlicht project
Au3impact - Another 3D DLL game engine for autoit. (3impact 3Drad related)

460px-Thief-4-temp-banner.jpg
There are those that believe that the perfect heist lies in the preparation.
Some say that it’s all in the timing, seizing the right opportunity. Others even say it’s the ability to leave no trace behind, be a ghost.

You should use RegShot to make a snapshot while the option is set at 128. Then change it to 512 and use RegShot again to see where in the registry the setting is saved. Then make an Autoit script to change that registry key, run skype and when skype finished change it back. You can literally do it in 5 lines of code.

Edited by Inverted

• 9 months later...

I'm back after a long time, I will try to solve the problem in my first post up there again, this time with AutoIt as I didn't really get the AHK. Is it safe to use the RegShot to get the registry data? I don't want my registry  modified in any way. Thanx!

• Moderators

You can use AutoIt natively to retrieve (and set) registry data. Look at Registry Management in the help file.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Can AutoIt get all the registry info and save it into a (text) file for comparison?

I have a few more general AutoIt related questions, before I go and install it: are there any background services needed for the AutoIt to run? Does AutoIt connect to the internet? Does AutoIt have to be running at all times in order to be able to use it's scripts?

Thank you.

Can AutoIt get all the registry info and save it into a (text) file for comparison?

You shouldn't have a problem accessing and saving the registry settings to a file with AutoIt.

I have a few more general AutoIt related questions, before I go and install it: are there any background services needed for the AutoIt to run?

No, a compiled autoit script is as self-contained as you need it to be. By that I mean that the script will run by itself, whether or not the script requires external dlls or resources is another question that you would have to answer as you write your scripts. But there is the FileInstall option to include those files inside the EXE file create. The AutoIt program itself though doesn't require anything to be installed on a third party computer.

Does AutoIt connect to the internet?

No AutoIt does not require an internet connection to run.

Does AutoIt have to be running at all times in order to be able to use it's scripts?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. But AutoIt only runs as long as your script is running and stops running once it completes. A compiled AutoIt script works the same way. The interpreter is wrapped around your script to run it, and doesn't need to have anything running in the background to run that script.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thank you for the lenghty answer, much appreciated!

1. How do I save the registry to a file with AutoIt, is it a complicated procedure?

2. Yes, I meant the AutoIt itself, thank you for clarifying that it needs no background processes/services running.

3. Here it's written that AutoIt makes an exception in the Windows Firewall:

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/AutoIt-10191-program.aspx

Is that true or BS?

4. I meant for hotkeys, for example. If I want a certain hotkey to be enabled/available, I have to run the script and leave it running at all times for it to be available at all times? How would I got about that, compile and add to autorun or have AutoIt on at all times?

I know my questions are weird - I'm a total newbie so bear with me please. Thank you!

• Moderators

1. How do I save the registry to a file..blah blah blah

ShellExecute("Reg", "EXPORT HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion MyBackUp.reg")

4. hotkeys..etc. etc. etc.

If you want the script to run all the time, so you can kick it off just by clicking a hot key, look at HotKeySet in the help file. Use an infinite While loop like the one you see in the Example under HotKeySet. If you don't want it running all the time, just compile to an executable and click on it when you want it to run.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

@Bellzemos:

AutoIt is a pretty simple language, probably one of the simplest out there.  You might be surprised at how easy it is to do things, and I think you will be AMAZED at how helpful the help file is.  Everything has an example that you can open and check out.

I think you will also be surprised at how much help you can get from the forum when you try to do something yourself and need further help.  Posting code that isn't quite working will get you good answers, but it seems like you are trying to get answers when you haven't even tried the language yet....

Sorry if I am wrong about that, but since you have posted no code to go along with your questions, it seems like just jumping in and trying it would answer most of your questions for you!  :)

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

I agree and I'm planning to install and start learning soon and really I'm looking forward to learning AutoIt as I've read it's a little similar to BASIC which I was learning in the good old DOS as a kid. :) Could someone please answer me the question point 3. in my last post (one bofore the last post really) - does AutoIt make a firewall exception and connect to the internet as said on that site or is that not true? Thank you! :)

I don't install AutoIt,  as I use it on a thumb drive or out of my OneDrive folders, so can't say for sure. The question becomes, what difference would it make if it did add an exception in the firewall settings? Not saying it does but just asking for clarification purposes.

As far as I can remember from the few instances that I've installed autoit in the past, I can't recall it adding one, but it's never tried to access the internet either so it's probably a moot point.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

The description of what AutoIt is from your link, is really quite misleading/bogus.

I did a fresh install yesterday, it's not on my exceptions list with the most recent version, and with all previous versions, I've had to tell the clients to add my application(s) to their exceptions list.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.