Not able to access Server manager using AutoIT

Hi guys,

When I try to open ServerManager using AutoIT, it open it all right, but it doesnt recognize this window, and whatever options I select in this window, doesnt get recorded.

However, when I use WinActive, it says the Server Manager is the current Window.

Same is the case with any window under Administrative Tools such as Component Services etc..

Can you please advice how can we make AutoIt recognize these windows?

Thanks!!

hello and welcome to AutoIt and to the forum,

i can not reproduce your issue. for me AutoIt Window Info tool and the recorder recognize the window correctly ("Component Services" under Windows XP).

you may need to describe your issue with more details, screenshots, etc.

also - just in case you are trying that - make sure you are not running AutoIt locally and trying to automate a remote server over RDP, that won't work.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

So I am basically trying to automate setting  Local DTC properties in component services window using Auto IT.

When I record opening the component Services, it opens the window all right, and recognizes the window in AutoIT info tool, however, then I try to browse to Component Services->Computers->My Computer-> using keyboard , it doesnt record it in the script.

So the script I have stops to   :

{LWINDOWN}r{LWINUP}comexp.msc{ENTER}")

whereas it should have been : 

send({DOWN}{RIGHT}{DOWN}{RIGHT}.. .and so on

Also, when I execute my own written script which is : 

send({DOWN}{RIGHT}{DOWN}{RIGHT} ......It opens the component services window from run, but does nothing after that.

Hope this was clear.

Thanks again!

ok, before you go any further, you probably better consider a direct way to apply your configuration; i mean, not by mimic user operations, but using group policy, writing to registry, WMI calls, etc. Windows has plenty of automation abilities, especially for the sysadmin, so use them.

ask, what are you trying to configure? then google, "how to configure {whatever} by scripting". you'll probably find a few articles saying "RegWrite this, WMI that...", when you know what you need to do, doing it with AutoIt should be fairly easy.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff