RunAs always succeeds even with wrong password

Go to solution Solved by BrewManNH,

Im trying to use some code that lets me check if an entered windows password is correct, the code uses RunAs to check if a run was successful (So i know i have the right password) but for some reason even with a simple script no matter what i enter it always succeeds

RunAs(@UserName,@LogonDomain,"stuff",2,"cmd /c","",@SW_HIDE))
RunAs(@UserName,@LogonDomain,"",2,"cmd /c","",@SW_HIDE))

Im on WIndows 7 64-bit and i have been mulling over this for days, i must be missing something simple. Searching the forum and google gave me the same examples i had already used to no luck.

Edited by NickYoung

• Moderators

NickYoung,

lets me check if an entered windows password is correct

and why do you need to do that? :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Look in the help file for the differences of Run vs RunWait.

Run doesn't return success of the script, it returns the PID of a created process.  You are creating a process, so you think it's a 'success'.

I understand that, but with RunAs its not suppose to create the proccess at all but instead return 0 if it could not (Such as if the password is wrong)

I dont care about the return of the proccess just if it can be created or not, when i give it the wrong password it should not create it, return 0, and set error, but it does.

NickYoung,

and why do you need to do that? :huh:

M23

I work remotely with alot of PCs and need to setup the systems for autologon so that i dont need to call the end user everytime  reboot and it hits the password prompt, by checking if the user has a password i can skip asking them, if they do i need to make sure they give the right one or i still cant login.

• Solution

Don't use option 2 with RunAs, it appears to be loading your network credentials that way. Use option 0 "Interactive logon with no profile".

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Don't use option 2 with RunAs, it appears to be loading your network credentials that way. Use option 0 "Interactive logon with no profile".

Wont handle a blank password, i wonder why

EDIT: Solved

Newer versions of windows prevent you from using blank passwords for some things, so i saved the values of some reg keys, changed them, then set them back when i was done

Func getPass()

local $CS1PasswordPol = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa", "LimitBlankPasswordUse")
   local $CCSPasswordPol = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa", "LimitBlankPasswordUse")

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa", "LimitBlankPasswordUse", "REG_DWORD", 0)
   RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa", "LimitBlankPasswordUse", "REG_DWORD", 0)
   $pass = ""
   while RunAs(@UserName,@LogonDomain,$pass,0,"cmd /c","",@SW_HIDE) = 0
      $pass = InputBox("Password Required", "Your account appears to have a password, for our technicians to log back in automaticly to continue service we need access to it. You can simply enter '!!!' to skip but the tech will need you to login after every reboot.", "", "*")
      if $pass = '!!!' Then
         $pass = '[SKIPPED]'
         ExitLoop
      EndIf

WEnd

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa", "LimitBlankPasswordUse", "REG_DWORD", $CS1PasswordPol)
   RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa", "LimitBlankPasswordUse", "REG_DWORD", $CCSPasswordPol)

return $pass

EndFunc

Thanks everyone, eveything seems to be working now, thought i would post the full working function incase anyone wants the big picture of how i did it.

Edited by NickYoung