Recommended coding language; smooth 2d animation, network communication, database connection

Aarstad

I am looking into learning a different language as opposed to Autoit. Autoit really is a kickass ambassador into the world of programming (my first language ever), but I've realised the limitations of autoit when it comes to simplicity, and its lack of object oriented programming concept. I am stupidifying myself with the lack of knowledge when googling, so I thought I'd take a shot of asking you guys, considering you already have helped me loads on learning about programming in general.

I am looking into designing a software that will display pictureboxes, with a fluid animation of them moving in a straight line. Rendering them may just as well be a .png or .jpeg file that moves across the screen. The type of picturebox will be collected from database (internal network), whereas the database will be the computer(server/master) that will be dynamically adding an array of specified pictureboxes' name for the other computers(clients/slaves) to fetch. When the animations are done, a return will be sent to the database with results, and the server will then store the results and wipe its array clean. Rinse and repeat. That's basically it.

I have been testing my luck with a trial of visual basic express 2010, where I've played around with moving pictureboxes, but it feels kind of "limited" in terms of animation. The animation is jaggy and slow and looks aesthetically unpleasing, however, the sql connection and the coding environment itself feels really good to work with.

So to wrap things up I would like to stick with visual basic for handling the array and working with the database, but for the clientside I am not sure what would be best. Is the .net framework known for handling animations proficiently, or is meant for static objects?

Thanks guys. You're the best. 

Edited by Aarstad