Preventing invalid characters from being entered into an input control?

I know I can validate entered data after the fact (e.g. user clicks Ok), but I'd like to prevent a user from entering invalid characters in the first place.

Looks like GUIGetMsg() only triggers when the input box loses focus AND the text has been changed, but not just when the text has been changed.

Ideas?

• Moderators

SlowCoder74, how about posting your code to clarify? You mention input box. If you're using an InputBox, it is a blocking function so the script will pause until it goes away. If you're meaning a GUICtrlCreateInput, that is something else entirely. Seeing your code will help us help you :)

Edit: If you do mean an input on your own GUI, you could always do something with AdLibRegister:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

;checks input to ensure the letter 'r' is not typed

AdlibRegister("check", 100)

Local $msg

GUICreate("Test", 300, 300)
Global $input = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 10, 280, 40)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
            Select
                Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                    ExitLoop
            EndSelect
    WEnd

GUIDelete()

Func check()
    If StringInStr(GUICtrlRead($input), "r") Then
        MsgBox(0, "", "Illegal character entered.") ;inform user
        GUICtrlSetData($input, StringTrimRight(GUICtrlRead($input), 1)) ;remove illegal letter
    EndIf
EndFunc
Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

@Blinky, You are correct that I can check in the main loop.  I was hoping for a more direct method, using a trigger to control the checks.

@JLogan3o13, here's the sample that demonstrates my question:

(And yes, it's using GuiCtrlCreateInput)

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=
$Form2 = GUICreate("Form2", 171, 132, 234, 361)
$Input1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("Input1", 16, 16, 145, 21)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Button1", 48, 48, 65, 33)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $Input1
            msgbox(0,"","data entered")
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Found this in about 1 minute.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

A clean way to do it.

Global $__iLabel = 9999

Example()

Func Example()
     ; Create a GUI with various controls.
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate('Input Filter')
    $__iLabel = GUICtrlCreateInput('', 5, 5, 390)
    GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, 'WM_COMMAND')

; Display the GUI.
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop

EndSwitch
    WEnd

GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Func WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam
    GUICtrlSetData($__iLabel, StringRegExpReplace(GUICtrlRead($__iLabel), '[\\/:*?"<>\|]', ''))
    Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
EndFunc   ;==>WM_COMMAND

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

here is an example with GuiCtrlRead and i borowed the rest   :P   :)

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#Region ### START Koda GUI section ###
$Form2 = GUICreate("Form2", 171, 132, 234, 361)
$Input1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("Input1", 16, 16, 145, 21)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Button1", 48, 48, 65, 33)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ###
Global $buffer
While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch
    $data=GUICtrlRead($Input1)

If $buffer<>$data Then
         $newData=StringRegExpReplace(GUICtrlRead($Input1), '[\\/:*?"<>\|]', '')
         If @extended > 0 Then
            ToolTip("ILLEGAL CHARACTER.")
        Else
            ToolTip("")
        EndIf
         GUICtrlSetData($Input1, $newData)
         $buffer=$newData
     EndIf

WEnd

Not very efficient code there Blinky.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

i know but i just made an example with GuiCtrlRead and a triger because he asked :)

They only asked because they're limited in the knowledge they have of what AutoIt can do. Our job is to show them there are better ways to go about it.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Drive the update to the edit control only when required...

#Include <GUIConstants.au3>
#Include <EditConstants.au3>
#Include <WindowsConstants.au3>

; disallow some special chars and lower/upper case 'a'
local $DisallowedCharsTable = '(?i)[\!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)A]' ;   precede special chars with a '\' just for safety (some are required, some not)

GUICreate('Character Filter Example', 300, 200)
$Input = GUICtrlCreateInput('', 10, 10, 280, 19)
GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, 'WM_COMMAND')
GUISetState()

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

Func WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    Switch BitAND($wParam, 0xFFFF)
        Case $Input
                Switch BitShift($wParam, 16)
                    Case $EN_UPDATE
                        guictrlsetdata($Input,stringregexpreplace(guictrlread($Input),$DisallowedCharsTable,''))
                EndSwitch
    EndSwitch
    Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
endfunc

kylomas

edit:something is goofing my tabs up...

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

In case anyone is wondering, kylomas BitAND and BitShift is LoWord and HiWord.

UDF List:

I appreciate everyone's input!  I will look into the options.

I admit, it's obvious I'm ignorant of all of AutoIT's tricks, but I'm learning.  It's much more powerful than what I was led to believe when I first began using it.  At this time, it is my most used programming tool, and I am using it to build many applications and tools at my work, including some that are rather large.  It's much more than just a scripting language.