Noob with complicated script. help!

So I have just started with autoit and need to build a script that might be complicated. I don't really know where to begin and have thought about many different options to accomplish this. So here is what it needs to do:

Script starts at startup on local machine

A user is asked on a website for input

The script takes said input and places it in a variable

Script continues to run, but needs to check often with website to see if user has requested that script stop

Basically, I just need a bullet proof way for autoit to communicate with user input via a website. And do this over and over again reliably.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

• Moderators

Brandonkparker,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. :)

But please pay attention to where you post - the "Developer Chat" section where you started this thread is not for general support questions. I have moved the thread for you, but would ask you to be more careful in future. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

Hi, Brandonkparker. Everything you are looking to do is definitely within the abilities of AutoIt, but some additional information from you will help us help you.

• Having the script launch on startup is not difficult.
  • What is the website, an internal site you have created or a public URL?
    • Either way, you can use the IE functions to read the input from the page, but if you can post the URL or a screenshot of the field, we can direct you more easily to the appropriate function.
  • Placing the info into a variable is trivial
  • There are functions in the help file to keep the script running, or you could schedule it to kick of at intervals with Windows Scheduler, or even convert it to a service. You need to decide which avenue you would like to pursue.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Welcome to Autoit and the forum!

As JLogan3o13 stated, everyting is possible with AutoIt. But we need more information to help you.

Which browser do you use? There are UDFs (User Defined Function libraries) available for IE, FF and Chrome.

BTW:

Could you please give meaningful titles to your threads? Everyone on this forum is seeking fo help ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Sorry guys. I will heed the advice given here in the future. So it will be a public website. I can use any browser. The website doesn't exist yet. I am going to code it. Here is some pseudo code:

Script starts at startup

Script opens a program

Script pauses and waits ...

... User goes to public website and types input Into an input box.

... Submits input

Script retrieves input as a variable and continues

Script needs to listen for user input via website for more input (ie, a call to shutdown script)

Once it gets input from user over web to complete. It goes through a completion process and shuts down the computer.

However I accomplish this... I want the script to look for user input on port 80. Since this script runs on a com

Uter behind a firewall... I want it to run without having to do anything special to the router, ie opening ports and such. At ideas?

• Moderators

Here is where you stand, from what I can see.

• Script starts at startup
    • Place the script in the startup folder, or google how to put it in the Run key in the registry
  • Script opens a program
    • Look at Run or ShellExecute in the help file
  • Script pauses and waits ...
    • Waits for what, the webpage to update, the user to interact with the program, or a certain length of time?
  • User goes to public website and types input Into an input box.
  • Submits input
    • User can do this manually, or you can open the website for them. Look at the IE functions in the help file
  • Script needs to listen for user input via website for more input (ie, a call to shutdown script)
    • A clearer example would be nice. Does the user enter text and then push a button? Does the page refresh? What trigger do you want the script to listen for?
  • Once it gets input from user over web to complete. It goes through a completion process and shuts down the computer.
    • You need to better define "a completion process"
    • Look at Shutdown in the help file

However I accomplish this... I want the script to look for user input on port 80. Since this script runs on a com
Uter behind a firewall... I want it to run without having to do anything special to the router, ie opening ports and such. At ideas?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

Ok. Here is a more specific description of the script needed. Pseudo code.

-Script starts at startup

-Opens flash media live encoder

-Loads a stream profile in flash media live encoder

-Reviews a public website/or a database online/or a text file online/ or some other method (this is where I need help...I need to figure out the best way to do this)

-A user somewhere in the world (ie, not at the computer containing the script) will go to a website a enter some information as input into the web page. The input will be written to a database, or text, or whatever is best method and submit it with a submit button.

-The script should see that this submission has occurred and proceed with the script. It will take the users input from the web and use them as variables.

-the script will then press the stream button and record button and so on in flash media live encoder.

-the user somewhere out in the web will go to another web page where they will be given the option to shutdown flash media live encode

-The script once again will need to actively listen somehow for this input from the web. A loop looking to the web for instruction to shutdown.

-once it sees this instruction it will then take the variables that it stored earlier and save the recorded file with the variable as the name. And so on. That part is the easy part.

-then it will shutdown and shutdown the computer

I hope this helps understand what I am trying to do.

Basically I am trying to figure out how to make this work....the parts where the script has to look for input out on the web. There is a good answer to this problem...I just know it. Lol.

• Moderators

What have you looked at or tried in the help file? We're willing to help, but have already given a number of suggestions, and see no effort to follow any of them. Why don't you try coding the pieces you can (running the app, etc.) the post what you have so we can see what you're doing?