Adding Intellisense to GUI, Can anyone help?

Hey guys, I'm currently in the midst of adding a Intellisense feature to one of my GUI Inputs. Unfortunately it seems, That all the current searchable udfs/examples. Are either a mess or, too large to consider including. I've ran out of free time today and, I'm hoping someone with a little more experience with the matter could polish some things off for me in the code attached below.

But, Before you consider helping out, Let me brief you on what it needs to do. Like any intellisense, It has to display previous inputs as suggestions, Which are logged in the rest of the script. It needs to also auto-complete and, While I would like it to automatically submit the input. I can handle that as I'm using _IsPressed("0D").

Anyways without further ado, This is what I've come up with so far given the existing structure of my script;

$InputData_2 = GUICtrlRead($Input1, "")
      If $InputData_2 > "" And FileExists("" & @TempDir & "\History.dat") Then ; History.dat is where previous submissions are stored 
         While 2
            If _IsPressed("0D", $hDLL) And WinActive("" & $Title & " v" & $Version & " by " & $Author & "", "") Then ; Checks for Enter
               ExitLoop
            Else
               $CombinedData = GUICtrlRead($Input1, "")
               If $CombinedData = $InputData_2 Then ; Make sure the Input hasn't changed since the While loop was started
                  $History = ""
                  If Not _FileReadToArray("" & @TempDir & "\History.dat", $History) Then ; Read previously stored/submitted Inputs
                     Sleep("100")
                  EndIf
                  For $i = 1 To $History[0]
                     ;MsgBox(0, 'History: ' & $i, $History[$i]) ;Debug
                     $HistoryData = StringInStr($History[$i], $InputData_2) ; Check if the current text(""substring"") is found in the previously stored/submitted Input file 
                     If $HistoryData <> "0" Then ; If the text is found then display the gui below
                        $LB_GUI_Height = Number(30 * $i)
                        $LB_GUI = GUICreate("", 600, $LB_GUI_Height, 0, 350, $WS_POPUP, BitOR($WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW, $WS_EX_MDICHILD), $Form1) ; $Form1 is the Main GUI where the Input Control is located
                        $LB = GUICtrlCreateList("", 0, 0, 600, $LB_GUI_Height, BitOR(0x00100000, 0x00200000))
                        GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 600, 0, "MS Sans Serif")
                        GUICtrlSetData($LB, $History[$i]) ; Show previously stored/submitted Inputs in a Listbox
                        GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $LB_GUI)  
                     EndIf
                  Next
               ElseIf $InputData_2 <> $CombinedData Then ; If Input has changed destroy the existing gui from above
                  GUIDelete($LB_GUI)
                  ExitLoop
               EndIf
            EndIf
         WEnd

Anything you guys can point out would be helpful as I have to leave this until tomorrow or later.. Thanks for any contributions.

As your request is not an easy thing to do, this is the smaller you can do :

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <ListViewConstants.au3>
#include <GUIListBox.au3>
#include <Misc.au3>

Local $_sHistory = FileRead("history.txt")
Local $_sList = FileRead("list.txt")

#Region GUI
GUICreate("MyGUI")

Global $_iInput1 = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 10, 200, 22)

$_iListHistory = GUICtrlCreateList("", 10, 50, 100, 100)
GUICtrlSetData($_iListHistory, StringReplace($_sHistory, @CRLF, "|"))

$_iListResults = GUICtrlCreateList("", 110, 50, 100, 100)
$_hListResults = GUICtrlGetHandle($_iListResults)

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND")
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion GUI

While GUIGetMsg() <> $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
WEnd

GUIDelete()

Func WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    Local $iCtrlID = BitAND($wParam, 0x0000FFFF)
    Local $iCode = BitShift($wParam, 16)

Local Static $fMyInputHasFocus = False

Switch $iCtrlID
        Case $_iInput1
            Switch $iCode
                Case $EN_CHANGE
                    _Intellisense()
                Case $EN_SETFOCUS
                    $fMyInputHasFocus = True
                Case $EN_KILLFOCUS
                    $fMyInputHasFocus = False
            EndSwitch
        Case $_iListHistory
            Switch $iCode
                Case $LVNI_FOCUSED
                    GUICtrlSetData($_iInput1, GUICtrlRead($_iListHistory))
                    _Intellisense()
            EndSwitch
        Case 1
            If $fMyInputHasFocus And _IsPressed("0D") Then
                Local $s = GUICtrlRead($_iInput1)
                $_sHistory &= $s & @CRLF

FileWriteLine("history.txt", $s)
                _GUICtrlListBox_AddString(GUICtrlGetHandle($_iListHistory), $s)
            EndIf
    EndSwitch

Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
EndFunc   ;==>WM_COMMAND

Func _Intellisense()
    _GUICtrlListBox_BeginUpdate($_hListResults)
    _GUICtrlListBox_ResetContent($_hListResults)

Local $s = GUICtrlRead($_iInput1)

If $s <> "" Then
        $a = StringRegExp($_sHistory, "(?m)^.*\Q" & $s & "\E.*$", 3)
        If IsArray($a) = 1 Then
            For $i = 0 To UBound($a) - 1
                _GUICtrlListBox_AddString($_hListResults, $a[$i])
            Next
        EndIf
    EndIf

_GUICtrlListBox_EndUpdate($_hListResults)
EndFunc   ;==>_Intellisense

In the leftbox the history and in the rightbox the results

Press ENTER to save the input in the history

If you want to make it user friendly it will require some few lines

Br, FireFox.

Thanks Firefox for both of your examples, As I'm a little unfamiliar with the Combo Boxes, I think it would be a little outside of my current knowledge as to how to incorporate it with what I currently have. Although, I did test it and, Look through the code. The second example on the other hand, I can make more sense of and, I think I could better include that into my script than the previous example. Something I also hadn't considered was reading the specific include file EditConstants, Which upon viewing your example and the include file I'm almost certain I can improve upon my script. Thanks for peeling back the wool infront of my eyes :)

Hey @FireFox, I was wondering if you could offer some insight on a issue that I'm having. I'm pretty sure it has to do with GUIGetMsg, I'm not very experienced with dealing with WM_COMMAND. I've attached two photos below which show the current structure of my code, I just don't know how to do the BitShift/BitAnd using what I have. Right now I'm just working on getting $EN_CHANGE, I have $EN_SETFOCUS written to create the Intellisense GUI(If Applicable). Then when $EN_CHANGE is received (As anything other than Enter) it populates the Intellisense GUI with the previously stored/submitted commands. I guess all what I'm asking is how would I go about receiving the $EN_CHANGE constants according to what I have below? Should I just remove the Switch inside $Input1 and, Put it in it's own function? :wacko:  At the time this all sounds comprehend-able, But if I've left something out or confused you at all. I'll correct it as soon as I'm available again. Once again your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated! 

Top View:

2h24.png

Expanded View:

er46.png

Edited by BlackDawn187

You're doing it wrong.

Those messages are sent to the function you've provided in the GUIRegisterMsg function, typically the function name is the name of the constant for the message you've registered.

So take a look at my script, just copy paste my WM_COMMAND with the GUIRegisterMsg function and edit it to your needs.

Br, FireFox.

• 7 months later...