Help system not working in SciTE for autoit3

Hello and thanks for such an Awesome set of tools! I installed the AutoIT 3 v3.3.10.2 package and after the Full SciTE editor v14.1.22.21 on my Win 7 x64 system. After opening an *.au3 extension example file (and 6 others to make sure!) none of them will activate the "F1" Function help for the highlighted word. The "F1" Function does not work by itself and does not activate even from the menu.The SciTE Help itself does not function from the menu either. I really need this feature! It works in the tutorials I am following but not in this version of SciTE. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with the same problem. I am not at home or I would have tried an older version of SciTE just to see if it's my computer or not? I am on a Fujitsu N6470 Laptop if it matters. Thanks for any help you can provide!

• Developers

Have you installed the Full SciTE4AutoIt3  version by using the separate available installer?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I would like to add in my troubleshooting efforts, it seems related to the Lua startup script which I have tried to run in SciTE which errors out with  ">lua5.1 "SciTEStartup.lua"
'lua5.1' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I am really not sure if this is at the heart of the problem or not. Thanks again.

O.K. here are two more issues I have found during my troubleshooting process. The files "Scite_Reload_Props.au3" and "UCTMan.au3" both have errors in them which come direct from my SciTE Config folder which is made by its' own installer! The first file error is >> C:DeveloperProgScriptingAutoIt3SciTESciTEConfigScite_Reload_Props.au3"(15,23) : warning: $WM_COPYDATA: possibly used before declaration.
            "Int", $WM_COPYDATA,
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
"C:DeveloperProgScriptingAutoIt3SciTESciTEConfigScite_Reload_Props.au3"(15,23) : error: $WM_COPYDATA: undeclared global variable.
            "Int", $WM_COPYDATA,
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:DeveloperProgScriptingAutoIt3SciTESciTEConfigScite_Reload_Props.au3 - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)
!>13:45:25 AU3Check ended. Press F4 to jump to next error.rc:2
+>13:45:26 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished..
>Exit code: 2    Time: 2.622

and even though the second file uses "Scite_Reload_Props.au3" as one of its' includes, it never gets to it because it errors out at >> "C:DeveloperProgScriptingAutoIt3SciTESciTEConfigUCTMan.au3"(832,24) : warning: $gCTM_cListView: possibly used before declaration.
            Case $gCTM_cListView
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
"C:DeveloperProgScriptingAutoIt3SciTESciTEConfigUCTMan.au3"(838,41) : warning: $gCTM_cDblClick: possibly used before declaration.
                        GUICtrlSendToDummy($gCTM_cDblClick,
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
"C:DeveloperProgScriptingAutoIt3SciTESciTEConfigUCTMan.au3"(832,24) : error: $gCTM_cListView: undeclared global variable.
            Case $gCTM_cListView
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
"C:DeveloperProgScriptingAutoIt3SciTESciTEConfigUCTMan.au3"(838,41) : error: $gCTM_cDblClick: undeclared global variable.
                        GUICtrlSendToDummy($gCTM_cDblClick,
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:DeveloperProgScriptingAutoIt3SciTESciTEConfigUCTMan.au3 - 2 error(s), 2 warning(s)
!>13:49:27 AU3Check ended. Press F4 to jump to next error.rc:2
+>13:49:28 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished..
>Exit code: 2    Time: 2.901

So once again I am at a loss as to what went wrong! Thanks.

Why are you running the scripts for SciTE Config instead of running the .exe?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Developers

Lets not pollute the issue with opening supplied *.au3 files and trying to run them. ;)

So what is working and what is not with the standard installs?

F5-Run is working?

F7-Compile is Working?

and is it just F1 that doesn't work?

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

O.K. once more, I have been attempting to find the source of the problem myself while waiting for good advice so that's why I have been trying to find the source of the help system, how it is integrated and how it should work. Next as I stated before it is just the help system itself ie; "F1" Key, "F1" selected from the menu and the SciTE Help itself from the menu that do not work. I can run Tidy (Ctrl + T), "F5" for Go, Jump etc. all else works. I can run macros and even the automated system works for code completion. So I believe it must be in the menu selection of SciTE itself and how it acesses the "F1" help system. So if we can go from here understanding what the underlying problem is with everyone on the same page then hopefully I can find an understanding of the system while fixing it. I am now going to look for the source code of SciTE to help obtain this understanding.Thanks again.

• Developers

F1 will shell a program called AutoIt3Help.exe and is located in the AutoIt3 Directory (One level up) as you can see in au3.properties:

command.help.$(au3)=$(SciteDefaultHome)\..\Autoit3Help.exe "$(CurrentWord)"
command.help.subsystem.$(au3)=2

The SciTE helpfile is shelled with Ctrl+F1 as defined in SciTEGlobal.properties:

if PLAT_WIN
    command.scite.help="file://$(SciteDefaultHome)\Scite4AutoIt3.chm"
    command.scite.help.shortcut=Ctrl+F1
    command.scite.help.subsystem=2

What happens when you open these Helpfiles manually?

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Here is an interesting find. I have both SciTE v2.11 (for Windows) and SciTE v3.39 (Latest). I ran them both seperately outside of the AutoIT 3 directory by themselves. Neither of them have a working "F1" Help function in any of a C++, VBScript, or AutoIT source file! It seems to be SciTE itself at least on my system that has this issue. The menu F1 does not work but the SciTE Help menu selection works in version 2.11 but not in the v3.39! So I guess I need to take this up in the SciTE forums. Thanks for your inputs though and have fun coding!

• Developers

Please check your Environment variables for SCITE_HOME and see if that points somewhere else than the SciTE I have supplied.

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Well from bad to worse! After a reboot nothing works! I do not have any recent file history, none of the option (User, Global etc.) are there (Click and nothing!) no Language selection whatsoever! I completely uninstalled with "Advanced Uninstaller removing any reference and reinstalled exactly the same. Aparently it does not like being found by the enviroment! Next I will remove the Path statement to see the results and let you know. Thanks.

• Developers

Remove the SCITE_HOME from your enviroment settings!

When using SCITE_HOME, it should contain the path to the SciTE directory, not the executable!

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.