Windows Update Script need help please

Hi,

recently i decided to try to automate my Windows montage and I would like to have some helps and support to accomplish this project since i'm more than tired of wasting days of repetitive montages for around of 10 to 30 computers per (approximative) 2 weeks - 1 month. ( All computers are ain't joined to an domain ) 

Lets me explain what I need to automate:

1.  Must search, download and install from default Windows Updates Interfaces (wuapp.exe) because I need to check if everything goes well.
  2. Must reboot when required then re execute script to continue step 1
  3. Must work on all screen sizes if possible otherwise I'll manually set size to 1024x768 on all computers. 

All helps and support will be greatly appreciated :)

( Sorry for my English )

Best Regards,

AutomateLover

Sorry if it's quite challenging to understand me sometimes, there is 2 possible reasons to this:

Spoiler

#1. I am a native French speaker and learned English mainly from chatting with others players in online games.

#2. I have a developmental disorder mainly affecting my social abilities, way of thinking, understanding stuffs and explaining myself in which it can seem ironic of seeing me here, but I been working on getting better every days for an dozens of years now ^_^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not like my dirty code? It's fine, but in my opinion, the dirty codes are unique and I believe it's a good glimpse of how the mind of the person who wrote it thinks, and that, that's what I call a psychological deduction step by step in all its splendor.

~WilliamasKumeliukas

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. Us old folk have a saying - Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day and then come back for more fish. Teach him to fish and he will be fed for life. In other words we will not simply deliver a script to meet your requirements. We WILL try however to help you with your existing script when we can. Understand we are are all volunteers and we do this in our spare time. 

All we ask of you is to make a serious attempt to do what you have in mind. We have lots of resources on how to learn to code. Look at the Wiki and you will find we have plenty to offer.

Also - look at using search on our forum - odds are somebody has done what you are asking for already and that will save you development time.

Again - Welcome to the forum.

Edited by MBALZESHARI

• Moderators

I would agree with Valiente on this one, the Window Update (especially WIN7 and beyond) is notoriously difficult to automate. You almost have to resort to sorting through the updates you want and then downloading one by one. And to do this you would need to maintain a list of those that you want and those you do not. It is usually a better idea just to turn on Automatic Updating and be done with it.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I would agree with Valiente on this one, the Window Update (especially WIN7 and beyond) is notoriously difficult to automate. You almost have to resort to sorting through the updates you want and then downloading one by one. And to do this you would need to maintain a list of those that you want and those you do not. It is usually a better idea just to turn on Automatic Updating and be done with it.

well, I dont want it to be "silent" and I aldready tried several attempts but at end I was either lost in my script or confuse on understanding wich commands i need to uses for my specific needs. since I can only do this in spare times wich is pretty rare depending prioritys etc..

I did alot of researches related to Windows updates without "good" results.

since my coding knowledge with autoit is terrible, most of my attempts was all about using:

mouseclick ("left",xxxx,xxxx)

MouseMove(xxxx,xxxx)

I would be glad to learn coding language instead of asking for something not made by me.

Best Regards,

AutomateLover

Sorry if it's quite challenging to understand me sometimes, there is 2 possible reasons to this:

Spoiler

#1. I am a native French speaker and learned English mainly from chatting with others players in online games.

#2. I have a developmental disorder mainly affecting my social abilities, way of thinking, understanding stuffs and explaining myself in which it can seem ironic of seeing me here, but I been working on getting better every days for an dozens of years now ^_^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not like my dirty code? It's fine, but in my opinion, the dirty codes are unique and I believe it's a good glimpse of how the mind of the person who wrote it thinks, and that, that's what I call a psychological deduction step by step in all its splendor.

~WilliamasKumeliukas

• Moderators

well, I dont want it to be "silent"

So if you don't want it to be silent, how do you plan to make the script decide which updates to install and which to skip?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

So if you don't want it to be silent, how do you plan to make the script decide which updates to install and which to skip?

It's simple, I want it to download and install ALL updates until it does not find any updates. those computers are sold to compagnies.

since mouseclick and mousemove isn't an good idea because sometimes its glitchy and the click didnt been recognize somehow, i can't automate it without having to constantly check it.

Edited by AutomateLover

Spoiler

~WilliamasKumeliukas

• Moderators

So you want to install all updates, and you want it in an automated fashion, and you want some way of checking when it is complete, but you don't want to use the Automatic Update feature that does all of these things natively. Good luck on your Rube Goldberg device :)

Edit: Somehow I feel this will be necessary...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

Edited by JLogan3o13

So you want to install all updates, and you want it in an automated fashion, and you want some way of checking when it is complete, but you don't want to use the Automatic Update feature that does all of these things natively. Good luck on your Rube Goldberg device :)

Edit: Somehow I feel this will be necessary...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

I know it's look dumb but indirectly I want it to "immediatly" reboot then repeat after boot when all updates found are installed. I will also add my whole montage into script to automate my whole list of things to-do on every computers.

Spoiler

~WilliamasKumeliukas

I know it's look dumb but indirectly I want it to "immediatly" reboot then repeat after boot when all updates found are installed. I will also add my whole montage into script to automate my whole list of things to-do on every computers.

Hello,

why You don't, use: "SEARCH"?!?

AU3:

vbscript: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14388200/insert-reboot-command-in-microsoft-update-script

powershell: http://www.ehow.com/how_8724332_use-powershell-run-windows-updates.html

P.S. Next time use function, like: SERACH

Greets ;>

Edited by Wilenty

You are making lots of work for yourself for no reason. Just turn on auto and be done with it. Seeing how most every other tech does it this way and it works for them, why do you have to be different? Each time Microsoft comes out with an update your scripts will break anyway. That is a lot of work for you when Microsoft makes it automatic already for you so you do not have to do ANYTHING BUT TURN IT ON.

Edited by MBALZESHARI