Ideas to start on Autoit project - databases, calanders, tables

Hello everyone,

My name is Alex. I have very decent experience with Java, and some other languages, and now I've been asked to create a program for a lab to track instrument usage. After speaking to some friends, I was told that autoit would be a good language to do this with.

Let me explain what I need to create:

A yearly calender, mon - fri only, with each day broken into half hour blocks.

This calender program will be on a single computer, running Windows 7/Vista. 

Any person, wanting to reserve time in a particular room, will need to make a "reservation" on this calender. This reservation should be editable (on this computer) until 24 hours before the time of the reservation, at which point, the reservation will become "locked in."

Any changes/edit should be saved to a txt file "change log."

Finally, the information about reservations should be turned into an Excel file. I've been recommended to use "flat databases" to do this.

I'm simply asking you guys to point my in the right direction to be able to do this. The right tutorials, the right classes, the right data structures, and maybe some tips and tricks that you could give me.

Thanks,

Alex

hello AlexGraal, welcome to AutoIt and to the forum!

yes, this can be done with AutoIt. however, have you considered a more simple approach? say, hmm.... Outlook?

you can also have a look here:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?q=calendar&m=

among all this free calendar apps, you'll probably find something to your liking.

for your security purposes - change history and locking information - if your app-of-choice does not support it out of the box, you can work directly with its database. with Outlook, for example, it has been made relatively simple, thanks to water's OutlookEx UDF:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff