using wrapper strings in the script?

orbs

my scripts have version strings by a wrapper directive. i need to use the version string inside the script, for an "About" box and for adding it to a log, so i know which version caused what mayhem :-)

currently i do it with two declartions:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Fileversion=0.8.24.1334

Global Const $sAppVer='0.8.24.1334'

any way i can declare it only once? i mean, use the value of the wrapper directive instead of declaring it again as a variable?

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

Global Const $sAppVer = FileGetVersion(@ScriptFullPath)
MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, 'Selection:' & @CRLF & '$sAppVer' & @CRLF & @CRLF & 'Return:' & @CRLF & $sAppVer) ;### Debug MSGBOX

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Global Const $sAppVer = FileGetVersion(@ScriptFullPath)
MsgBox(262144, 'Debug line ~' & @ScriptLineNumber, 'Selection:' & @CRLF & '$sAppVer' & @CRLF & @CRLF & 'Return:' & @CRLF & $sAppVer) ;### Debug MSGBOX

cool, but that works only when compiled :-(

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

The first line, the AutoIt3Wrapper line only works on compiled scripts too, so I fail to see what the issue is.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

according to your method, i can not run the script unless it is compiled before each run. imagine this:

1) i compile a script, run it, all is well.

2) i modify the script. accordingly, i modify the version string.

3) i run the not-yet-compiled new version of the script. it identifies the version string from the existing older executable. it logs itself in the log file with the old string, it shown an "About" box with the old string. problem!

to overcome this, i must re-compile every time i want to run. very inconvenient.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

Then you're stuck with manually updating it every time.

Then you're stuck with manually updating it every time.

yeah, i figured that'd be it :-(

thanks.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps: