Label Update (NOOB HELP)

Go to solution Solved by GroovyMan8750,

I am runing a basic GUI and want to know if there is a way to automate a label update from a text file every hour, sort of like a notification system....

Here is what I have for the label:

$Label_02 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Command Broadcast Information" & @CRLF & FileRead("C:broadcast49x14.txt"), 325, 450, 600, 300, $SS_CENTER)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 800, 1)
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0xCC99FF)
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, $GUI_BKCOLOR_TRANSPARENT)

If I cannot update a label, what do I use, and how can I code it?

Please help, and I have no shame in my game!

GUICtrlSetData($Label_02, "the data you want the label to show")

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

and, to have the update every hour......

Local $dif, $sec

While 1
    $sec = Round(TimerDiff($adtimer) / 1000, 2)
    If ($sec > 60)
       ; READ YOUR TEXT FILE, PROCESS IT, ETC......
       ; ADD THE LABEL UPDATE HERE (like BrewManNH said...)
    EndIf
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
    EndSwitch
WEnd

sorry, that was 'untested' code (and one of the constant issues I have in working in AutoIt one minute and php the next - forgetting the language differences!

change to add the 'Then' on the 'If' line.....

If ($sec > 60) Then

(of course, the error tells you that......)

Ok, I'm a total tool!  Iplugged this in under the label, not getting any errors.....the GUI wont open but show is systray.

Local $dif, $sec
While 1
    $sec = Round(TimerDiff($dif) / 1000, 2)
    If ($sec > 60) Then
   GUICtrlSetData($Label_02, "Command Broadcast Information")
    EndIf
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Any ideas?

It won't update because the code posted doesn't initialize the timer.

Local $dif, $sec
Local $adTimer = TimerInit() ; initialize the timer
While 1
    $sec = Int(TimerDiff($adtimer) / 1000)
    If ($sec > 60) Then
       $adTimer = TimerInit() ; reset the timer after the 60 seconds has passed
    EndIf
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
    EndSwitch
WEnd

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator