Changing SciTE colors with SciTE Config

Hi All.  I'm trying to change the color settings in SciTE so highlighted text stands out a bit more; i.e. I'm trying to increase the contrast between the text color and background color of highlighted text.  However some settings are not being applied as expected.  For example if I use SciTE Config to change the "Fore" color to black in the 'Selected Color' section, then click Save+Apply, the color of highlighted text does not change to black--it remains the same as the previous color.  When I go back into SciTE Config, the color has been reverted back to the previous value.  FWIW I also experience this issue when I try to change the color of the caret line.  Maybe I'm editing the wrong fields?  Or perhaps I have some other setting that is preventing/overriding this change?  Any help would be appreciated.

• Moderators

cag8f,

What version of SciTE4Autoit3 are you running? :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

cag8f,

With an .au3 file being edited in SciTE open the User Options file using the <Options - Open User Options file> menu item - then please answer the following: :)

- 1. What do you get as a path in the title bar?

- 2. Can you see these lines (no doubt with different hex values)?

caret.line.back=#FFFEBF
selection.fore=#006000
selection.alpha=50
selection.back=#EA7783
- 3. If you can see these lines, try changing the hex values and save the file. Reopen the file - have the values actually been changed?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Moderators

cag8f,

Unfortunately I am running a RC version of SciTE4AutoIt3 (testing before a new release in the near future) so my current SciTEConfig will not work an your setup as the location of the various user files has been changed. Can you confirm that you downloaded and installed the latest version from here? :huh:

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

cag8f,

Then we must wait for Jos and his SciTE-fu to come along. ;)

M23

Spoiler

• Developers

Did you also check whether the sciteuser.properties gets updates with the new coolor info when you do a save&apply?

When you change a color manually in sciteuser.properties, does that color get updated after a restart of scite?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

OK thanks for your patience.  I just spent ~30 minutes playing with SciTe Config and the user options file.  Here are some more facts and questions (System-Win 7 32 bit):

1.  Using the SciTE config, I set:  Selected Color Fore = black, Selected Color Back = white, and alpha = 256.  When I highlight 1-2 characters, the colors appear as expected (black text, white background).  But when I highlight 3 characters or more, up to the end of the line, the background color turns to a dark green.  What is this behavior, and can I edit it?  When I continue to highlight more than one line, the colors revert to expected.  This phenomenon was the cause of some (but not all) of my earlier confusion.

2.  a.  Using SciTe Config to change the bg color to black (from either white or light blue, in my case) does not work.  When I change bg color to black, then Save and Exit, the change is not made.  When I re-open SciTe Config, the bg color has reverted to the original color (white or light blue).

b. But if I edit the user options file to specify the bg color as black (#000000) and save, then the bg color does indeed change to black, even on re-starting SciTe.  But if I change the bg color away from black (to white in my case), via either SciTe Config or user options, then try to change back to black, I encounter the previous problem (bg color does not change to black, and reverts back to original).

So it seems like a workaround to my original issue is to edit the user options file.  But the SciTe Config dialog is very handy :-)  Also I'd like some clarification on question #1.  

Thanks for your help.

edit: formatting

Edited by cag8f

• Developers

The behaviour of your #1 question is likely due to that fact we have a current word highlighting function which highlights all occurrences of the selected word and the default for the minimum length is 3 characters for this function to start.

highlight.current.word=1
highlight.current.word.by.style=1
highlight.current.word.colour=#00D040
highlight.current.word.autoselectword=0    # Only available in SciTE4AutoIt3 version
highlight.current.word.wholeword=0         # Only available in SciTE4AutoIt3 version
highlight.current.word.matchcase=0         # Only available in SciTE4AutoIt3 version
highlight.current.word.minlength=3         # Only available in SciTE4AutoIt3 version

I will play a little with the described scenario under #2 to see if the today released update can replicate this issue.

Jos :)

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Thanks.  Yes #1 is related to the highlight current word feature.  I like that feature.  But is there a way to change the background color of such highlighted words?

Just adjust:

highlight.current.word.colour=#00D040

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.