@DesktopCommonDir macro not working on Windows 7??

I created a script that, along with other things, creates a shortcut on the desktop.  The shortcut MUST be created in the "Public Desktop" folder on Windows 7 computers and the "All UsersDesktop" folder on XP computers.  I need for all users to get the shortcut.  

Rather than using IF/THEN statements to figure out the OS version then copying the file to a different path based on the version, I attempted to use the @DesktopCommonDir macro; which is supposed to figure this out for me.

The @DesktopCommonDir keeps returning an incorrect path on Windows 7 computers (only).  XP was okay.

I wrote a quick test script with the following line:

msgbox(0,"title",@DesktopCommonDir)

On a Windows 7 computer, the test script returns this path: "C:UsersPublicDesktop".  Unfortunately, that is not the correct path.  The correct path to the public desktop is "C:UsersPublicPublic Desktop".

I've looked at 3 different Windows 7 computers to make sure.  I also ran the test script on those computers.  Each time, I get the incorrect path.

Am I using the macro correctly?  Or did I find a bug undocumented feature?

The correct path is "C:UsersPublicDesktop" as @DesktopCommonDir is returning.  To see the path, go the directory in Windows Explorer, and then click on the Address Bar.  It will show the path as "C:UsersPublicDesktop".

Adam

• 10 months later...

I realize that it has been some time since the op posted the original question, but it is generally a matter of needing administrative rights when the script is run. Standard users are stopped by a UAC prompt to create files in these locations, so your script will need to do the same. If it is a compiled script, right click and run as administrator, or add: #RequireAdmin. YMMV. This may have nothing at all to do with your issue.

Edited by KenE

I realize that it has been some time since the op posted the original question, but it is generally a matter of needing administrative rights when the script is run. Standard users are stopped by a UAC prompt to create files in these locations, so your script will need to do the same. If it is a compiled script, right click and run as administrator, or add: #RequireAdmin. YMMV. This may have nothing at all to do with your issue.

Thanks for necromancing the thread :) OP wanted, or rather expected, a non-standard location returned from his for his public desktop ("C:UsersPublicPublic Desktop" instead of "C:UsersPublicDesktop"). Apparently his Windows was set to the default setting. It was probably a simple misunderstanding on OP's side. So it has indeed little or nothing to do with the OP's post...

Also, OP posted a grand total of 1 messages on the forum, so the chances that he is still interested require at least a double precision float to express.

Edited by SadBunny

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.