Need help with hanging install/setup program

Guest Greg

Hi all - I'm new to the board and I've been tinkering with automating an install program for a widespread program here at work. It doesn't have an msi file to install via Active Directory so we're looking to hook this up to the login scripts. Anyway, everything appears to be working great until the InstallShield wizard gets to 95% and the install hangs when being automated. Per the vendor, the install program is attempting to register files (ole) at this point. As soon as I exit the script, the install completes without a hitch. It doesn't appear to be the script causing the stopage as I put timers (sleep) and msgboxes into this part and these come up fine.

Any issues with AutoIt3 and this type of install? Any ideas on kickstarting the registration at this point? Seems to work fine when its run outside of the script, but I need to use the script to finish up the install and shutdown for the users since they don't have full rights, but this can run automated under Administrator.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

-Gregautoit_re7install.au3

Hi all - I'm new to the board and I've been tinkering with automating an install program for a widespread program here at work. It doesn't have an msi file to install via Active Directory so we're looking to hook this up to the login scripts. Anyway, everything appears to be working great until the InstallShield wizard gets to 95% and the install hangs when being automated. Per the vendor, the install program is attempting to register files (ole) at this point. As soon as I exit the script, the install completes without a hitch. It doesn't appear to be the script causing the stopage as I put timers (sleep) and msgboxes into this part and these come up fine.

Any issues with AutoIt3 and this type of install? Any ideas on kickstarting the registration at this point? Seems to work fine when its run outside of the script, but I need to use the script to finish up the install and shutdown for the users since they don't have full rights, but this can run automated under Administrator.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

-Gregautoit_re7install.au3

i think more specifics may be necessary for troubleshooting, but one thing you should try is to use

Opt("TrayIconDebug",1)

at the top of your script so that when the install hangs, you can see what line is executing in your script by hovering your mouse over the systray icon. and you said there is no .msi file, is the installer that's locking up an .exe, or are you just doing the whole install with a script?

Thanks for the info. This should help me see if its really hanging on the script or the exe. It appears from what I've added to the script at the point in which the install hangs that the script itself is still running as I can still get prompted by a message box at this point (even though the install itself is hanging). I think that the script would just be waiting for the window annoucing the completion of the install at that point.

Yes, this is an .exe file - I'm just trying to automate the mouse clicks and options to allow for a way to install it as an Admin since our users have very little rights.

Please let me know what kind of specifics I can provide which may help.

Thanks,

Greg

Anyway, everything appears to be working great until the InstallShield wizard gets to 95% and the install hangs when being automated. Per the vendor, the install program is attempting to register files (ole) at this point. As soon as I exit the script, the install completes without a hitch. It doesn't appear to be the script causing the stopage

at this point... maybe close the script and call another one????

8)

NEWHeader1.png