how to have only one instance of a script running

oholdeno

i've compiled a script into an executable. it's working great. the only thing i'd like to fix is to somehow have it only run once instance of it at any time. running multiple instances will mess up how the program works. can anyone help me out?

one of the top questions in the FAQ's

14. How can I make sure only one copy of my script is run?

The easiest way is to rename the title of the hidden AutoIt window when your script first starts. Then in the same script check for that window title existing - if it does then another copy of the script is running.

; Place at the top of your script

$g_szVersion = "My Script 1.1"

If WinExists($g_szVersion) Then Exit ; It's already running

AutoItWinSetTitle($g_szVersion)

; Rest of your script goes here

8)

NEWHeader1.png

i've compiled a script into an executable. it's working great. the only thing i'd like to fix is to somehow have it only run once instance of it at any time. running multiple instances will mess up how the program works. can anyone help me out?

see _Singleton UDF functions ;)

I used this line right after all my #include

If UBound(ProcessList(@ScriptName)) > 2 Then Exit

It only allow one instance of a script running....

No, all that does is disallows one named instance of the same copy of a script to be running. If I copy/rename your script while it's already running, I can start a second instance. Relying on something dynamic for your singleton pattern enforcement is a recipe for disaster because dynamic things can change (Funny how that works, no?).

• Moderators

This gives 2 other alternatives of what the masses of the group here have put, but more importantly it gives the correct Semaphore that Valik is talking about.

The first example is Valiks correct one, the 2nd is my attempt to make sure it got the correct file.

Semaphore vs. File Search

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

This gives 2 other alternatives of what the masses of the group here have put, but more importantly it gives the correct Semaphore that Valik is talking about.

The first example is Valiks correct one, the 2nd is my attempt to make sure it got the correct file.

Semaphore vs. File Search

Your second example is inherently flawed as well. What happens if for some reason I have a binary already running with the same name as your script but it's not your script? In that case, I won't be able to start any instance.

Any time you try to base a singleton pattern around some dynamic object, it is no longer a singleton. The checked object has to be immutable, otherwise, it will be possible to circumvent the singleton checks and get two instances.