AutoIt exe unsigned?

Hello,

I recently updated to version 3.3.10.2. When I start a script that requires administrator privileges the Windows UAC shows an unsigned AutoIt.exe asking for these rights.

If I remember correctly version 3.3.8 came with signed exe files. The Au3Info.exe for example still is digitally signed, but not the AutoIt3.exe and the AutoIt3_x64.exe. Why has this been changed?

regards,

nieroster

• Moderators

nieroster,

Why do you expect Jon to be responsible for the script you are trying to run? He now digitally signs only those exes for which he is prepared to accept responsibility - what you run under Autoit3.exe is entirely your own responsibility. ;)

M23

Edit: Welcome to the AutoIt forum, by the way. :)

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

It changed because Jon doesn't want to be accountable (see, I said nothing of responsible), for what you may run under Autoit3.exe

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

nieroster,

I answered your question in the second post in this thread - what was hard to understand about what I said? :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Seeing your question got me curious enough to dig through my older scripts.

Compiled scripts in 3.3.8.1 & 3.3.6.1 are not digitally signed. At least mine are not.

Perhaps this has not changed after all?

My older ones were so poorly written (new ones are somewhat better) that I KNOW Jon wouldn't want to be culpable for them.

• Moderators

lorenkinzel,

As far as I know compiled scripts have NEVER been signed - what has changed is that AutoIt3.exe itself is no longer signed as it too can run scripts over which Jon has no control or responsibility. I understand why he has done this - I am somewhat at a loss why the OP cannot. :wacko:

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

lorenkinzel,

Reading that last post I think you still need another cup of coffee! :D

I will try and make it absolutely clear: Signing an executable means that the signer guarantees it. Jon has no wish to be identified as the guarantor for any scripts run with AutoIt3.exe because, just as with compiled scripts, he has absolutely no control over its content or behaviour. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

This change was made recently - and at the same time as he introduced the #pragma compile(AutoItExecuteAllowed) directive. In the past any compiled AutoIt script could run any other script - now you need to specifically set that option when compiling if you wish this to be the case. An obvious precaution in today's much more security-conscious world.

Clearer now? :)

M23

Spoiler

I do not want anybody to feel responsible for the scripts I run. But don't you think it makes a big difference if I can trust the interpreter running my scripts? How can I tell if it has not been manipulated and runs other things as well besides the script I started?

This was why I have been asking...

Edited by nieroster

Of course you would, although it doesn't really mean much other than the author slashed some money out for a cert, they could still laden it with crap.

If I don't trust something, I simply don't use it, it's quite an easy decision for me.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.