PathIsValid UDF - Check if the path is valid

Hello, I created a function that checks if the path is valid or not.

The reason I decided to write my own function  is because I found bugs in all the other functions that found here.

So i make my own function.

Example:

$Path = "C:"
ConsoleWrite('Example 1 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
If PathIsValid($Path) Then
    ConsoleWrite("Path is valid"&@CRLF)
Else
    ConsoleWrite("Path not valid"&@CRLF)
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\"
ConsoleWrite('Example 2 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "CC:\"
ConsoleWrite('Example 3 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C\"
ConsoleWrite('Example 4 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\aaa"
ConsoleWrite('Example 5 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\aaa\bbb"
ConsoleWrite('Example 6 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\aaa\\bbb"
ConsoleWrite('Example 7 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\a/aa\bbb"
ConsoleWrite('Example 8 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\\"
ConsoleWrite('Example 9 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\  \bbb"
ConsoleWrite('Example 10 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\    aaa\bbb"
ConsoleWrite('Example 11 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\aaa    \bbb"
ConsoleWrite('Example 12 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\aaa          aaaa\bbb"
ConsoleWrite('Example 13 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

$Path = "C:\aaa          aaaa    \bbb"
ConsoleWrite('Example 14 - check path "'&$Path&'"'&@CRLF)
Else
EndIf
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

Example + Code:

PathIsValid.au3

Enjoy!

I hope you find it useful!

Edited by Guest

Maybe this will give you some idea of how to get rid of the loop >> >_StringIsValid()

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Nice try, ... but you flag some path as invalid, but they are valid.

"C:/" and "C:/" and "C:" and "C:/" are equal to "C:" and valid.
"C:aaabbb" is the same as "C:aaabbb"
"C:a/aabbb" is the same as "C:aaabbb"

Just try it in a CMD prompt.

Here a screenshot.post-45639-0-97449500-1399049417_thumb.j

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()                             

Nice try, ... but you flag some path as invalid, but they are valid.

"C:/" and "C:/" and "C:" and "C:/" are equal to "C:" and valid.

"C:aaabbb" is the same as "C:aaabbb"

"C:a/aabbb" is the same as "C:aaabbb"

Just try it in a CMD prompt.

Here a screenshot.attachicon.gifZwischenablage01.jpg

Interesting.

but i do not think it's critical bugs as I found in other functions.

"C:/" and "C:" and "C:/" are really not valid if i test it with windows explorer.

I get these messages:

http://prntscr.com/3fhone

http://prntscr.com/3fhosy

http://prntscr.com/3fhpbs

But "C:/" is unexpectedly working and you right about this case.

I tested also "C:aaabbb" (after i created the path) with explorer and the result is error.

but "C:aaa/bbb" is working..

So windows explorer (not cmd) also flag "C:/" and "C:" and "C:/" as not valid as my script.

only "C:aaa/bbb" and "C:/" are flaged as valid by windows explorer and not by my script.

I do not think it is critical to my case. You can fix it if you want

Maybe this will give you some idea of how to get rid of the loop >> >_StringIsValid()

Thank you.

Maybe I'll check it out.

I'd rather not fix what works.

Edited by Guest

Just because it works doesn't mean it's the right way and clearly your function needs a little bit of tweaking. Oh well.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

C: is a valid path, yet this is flagged as invalid.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

ConsoleWrite(_FilePathIsValid("C:") & @CRLF)

Func _FilePathIsValid($sFilePath, $sPattern = '*?|:<>"/')
    Return StringRegExp($sFilePath, '(?i)^[a-z]:([^\Q' & $sPattern & '\E]+)?(\\[^\Q' & $sPattern & '\E\\]+)?(\.[^\Q' & $sPattern & '\E\\\.]+|\\)?$') ; Not the author.
EndFunc   ;==>_FilePathIsValid

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

C: is a valid path, yet this is flagged as invalid.

I fixed this bug.

Check Again

Just because it works doesn't mean it's the right way and clearly your function needs a little bit of tweaking. Oh well.

So please give an example if you want.

I see no reason to tweak this because it takes less than a quarter of a second..

You didn't upload/change anything on what's been posted, C: is still showing as invalid

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

You didn't upload/change anything on what's been posted, C: is still showing as invalid

This is strange. I downloaded the script again and I run it and this is my result:

Example 1 - check path "C:"

Path is valid

Example 2 - check path "C:"

Path is valid

Example 3 - check path "CC:"

Path not valid

Example 4 - check path "C"

Path not valid

Example 5 - check path "C:aaa"

Path is valid

Example 6 - check path "C:aaabbb"

Path is valid

Example 7 - check path "C:aaabbb"

Path not valid

Example 8 - check path "C:a/aabbb"

Path not valid

Example 9 - check path "C:"

Path not valid

Example 10 - check path "C:  bbb"

Path not valid

Example 11 - check path "C:    aaabbb"

Path not valid

Example 12 - check path "C:aaa    bbb"

Path not valid

Example 13 - check path "C:aaa          aaaabbb"

Path is valid

Example 14 - check path "C:aaa          aaaa    bbb"

Path not valid

I using autoit 3.3.10.2 .

what autoit version you are using? did you runned the script in your head?

Edited by Guest

So please give an example if you want.

I did.

UDF List:

• Moderators

I using autoit 3.3.10.2 .

what autoit version you are using? did you runned the script in your head?

First, it would be "ran the script in your head", and I'm not sure where you're from exactly, but in the U.S. even the properly translated question does not make much sense.

I also got the same result as the others on 3.3.10.2

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!