Array Sort/Subsort

is8591

Hi,

I haven't checked it fully for sorting, but looks good for speed till memory runs out. Nearly as fast as excel up to 100Kb, but takes forever for 900Kb (gave up waiting) - I guess you have limited file sizes?

Best, Randall

removing the return as stated by is8591

did you test mine Randall

8)

NEWHeader1.png

Hi,

I haven't checked it fully for sorting, but looks good for speed till memory runs out. Nearly as fast as excel up to 100Kb, but takes forever for 900Kb (gave up waiting) - I guess you have limited file sizes?

Best, Randall

True - my files so far were about 20k because they are reports from encrypted Cache application.

The slow speed is probably due to the Date conversion operation. How many records in 900kb file?

When have time will try some testing on bigger files. Actually your ExcelCOM is my 1st choice but like I said not all stations have Excel and admin will not let me run on server. So this is the failsafe function.

@is8591

Yes, if you were to run as a function, you would have to exclude the date check from the function, as that would vary from place to place in how it were converted, and would depend on initial date format.

I suspect anything which takes everything in the file into memory will be affected by memory size and there will be an :upper limit"? anyway?... not sure about that.

@Valuater

It certainly ran once the trailing "crlf" was taken; I'm not sure about the sort (date formatting here etc?).

Larger file it crashed again with incorrect subscript size; I guess you'd need to have "redim" in there somewhere like is8591?

But still, I think you also had everything going into arrays for the sort.,.. so same comments with arrays and memory for large files?

Best, Randall

[same here, btw, "remember..... i'm a hobbyist" - but use scripts just for myself at work...]

Edited by randallc

• 9 months later...