I need to read a file then randomize its contents

I have a list of barcodes that when scanned will play a video file. I pull the barcodes and video names from an ini file.

Videos.ini example

Barcode=video file

12345=video1.mpg
23456=video2.mpg
34567=video3.mpg

I want the script to read the contents of Videos.ini and create RandomizeTemp.ini and shuffle the data from Videos.ini and write to RAndomizeTemp.ini and then play each file until the end of the list. When the list is done I want to reshuffle the list and then play them all again.

Here's what I have so far

Func CreateRandomTemp() 
$Temp = FileRead("Videos.ini");Reads the Videos.ini file and places everything in $Temp

How do I randomize the order of each line stored in $Temp and then lose the "barcode=" and then write the data to RandomizeTemp.ini?

Edited by computergroove

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

computergroove,

Use the IniReadSection function to get the ini content into an array. If you use the latest Beta that you can now use the _ArrayShuffle function to randomize the array, after which IniWriteSection will write this array to the new ini file. :)

If you do not have the latest Beta, let me know and I will post the shuffle code for you to use as a stand-alone function. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

computergroove,

Use the IniReadSection function to get the ini content into an array. If you use the latest Beta that you can now use the _ArrayShuffle function to randomize the array, after which IniWriteSection will write this array to the new ini file. :)

If you do not have the latest Beta, let me know and I will post the shuffle code for you to use as a stand-alone function. ;)

M23

better than what I thought of

computergroove,

M23

I have Version 3.4.1 Mar 30 2014 21:57:28. Not sure if it is latest beta build but I installed it today.

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

• Moderators

computergroove,

That is the SciTE version - this will tell you which AutoIt version you have (Probably 3.3.10.2): ;)

ConsoleWrite(@AutoItVersion & @CRLF)
M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Just an FYI, INI files may not be the best way of doing this because the order of items in a section isn't going change if you rewrite the section. You would have to delete the RandomizeTemp.ini file before writing the contents of the section again otherwise they'll be in the same order they were in the first time you wrote it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Just an FYI, INI files may not be the best way of doing this because the order of items in a section isn't going change if you rewrite the section. You would have to delete the RandomizeTemp.ini file before writing the contents of the section again otherwise they'll be in the same order they were in the first time you wrote it.

I was already planning on doing this. Thanks though.

I just upgraded to the beta version (not really wanting to do that) and the array.au3 does not have a _arrayShuffle section. I also could not find a IniReadSection.au3. I'm a little lost. Please advise.

Edited by computergroove

• Moderators

computergroove,

Here is the _ArrayShuffle function:

Func _ArrayShuffle(ByRef $avArray, $iStart_Row = 0, $iEnd_Row = 0, $iCol = -1)

Local $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS = 0, $UBOUND_ROWS = 1, $UBOUND_COLUMNS = 2

; Fisher–Yates algorithm

If $iStart_Row = Default Then $iStart_Row = 0
    If $iEnd_Row = Default Then $iEnd_Row = 0
    If $iCol = Default Then $iCol = -1

If Not IsArray($avArray) Then Return SetError(1, 0, -1)
    Local $iDim_1 = UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_ROWS)
    If $iEnd_Row = 0 Then $iEnd_Row = $iDim_1 - 1
    If $iStart_Row < 0 Or $iStart_Row > $iDim_1 - 1 Then Return SetError(3, 0, -1)
    If $iEnd_Row < 1 Or $iEnd_Row > $iDim_1 - 1 Then Return SetError(3, 0, -1)
    If $iStart_Row > $iEnd_Row Then Return SetError(4, 0, -1)

Local $vTmp, $iRand
    Switch UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_DIMENSIONS)
        Case 1
            For $i = $iEnd_Row To $iStart_Row + 1 Step -1
                $iRand = Random($iStart_Row, $i, 1)
                $vTmp = $avArray[$i]
                $avArray[$i] = $avArray[$iRand]
                $avArray[$iRand] = $vTmp
            Next
            Return 1
        Case 2
            Local $iDim_2 = UBound($avArray, $UBOUND_COLUMNS)
            If $iCol < -1 Or $iCol > $iDim_2 - 1 Then Return SetError(5, 0, -1)
            Local $iCol_Start, $iCol_End
            If $iCol = -1 Then
                $iCol_Start = 0
                $iCol_End = $iDim_2 - 1
            Else
                $iCol_Start = $iCol
                $iCol_End = $iCol
            EndIf
            For $i = $iEnd_Row To $iStart_Row + 1 Step -1
                $iRand = Random($iStart_Row, $i, 1)
                For $j = $iCol_Start To $iCol_End
                    $vTmp = $avArray[$i][$j]
                    $avArray[$i][$j] = $avArray[$iRand][$j]
                    $avArray[$iRand][$j] = $vTmp
                Next
            Next
            Return 1
        Case Else
            Return SetError(2, 0, -1)
    EndSwitch

EndFunc   ;==>_ArrayShuffle
You will need to set $iStart_Row to 1 as the [0] element is the count - you can ignore the final 2 parameters as the default values are what you need. :)

As BrewManNH mentioned, you will need to delete the whole ini file before rewriting - or at least the relevant section using IniDelete. ;)

M23

Edit:

I just upgraded to the beta version (not really wanting to do that) and the array.au3 does not have a _arrayShuffle section

It most certainly does because that is from where I have just copied the above code. ;)

And IniReadSection is a core function, not a UDF. :)

Edited by Melba23

Spoiler

This is what I am trying

$Temp = FileRead("Videos.ini")
    $RandomizeTemp = _ArrayShuffle($Temp,0)
    FileWrite("RandomizeTemp.ini",$RandomizeTemp); reads Videos.ini and populates $Temp with the data
    MsgBox(0,"RandomizeTemp",$RandomizeTemp,0)

What it does is outputs -1 in teh msgbox. It also adds a -1 to the end of the last line of the Videos.ini file. What am I missing? And if I dont manually add the _ArrayShuffle function to the beta build posted on the website then the compiler complains about _ArrayShuffle as an unidentified function.

Edited by computergroove

You need to use the INI functions, NOT the File functions.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

If you don't have sections defined than your ini file is not a real ini. 

Example ini

[Version] <--- section name is always in square brackets
beta=v3.3.11.5  <--- key and its value
Production=v3.3.10.2  <--- key and its value

If so than you can simply use file functions.

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

You need to use the INI functions, NOT the File functions.

Not 100% sure what you mean. I used iniReadSection and IniWrite and I added a [Videos] section to my RandomizeTemp.ini (I wish this weren't necessary) but this is what I have tried

$Temp = IniReadSection("Videos.ini","videos")
    $Shuffle = _ArrayShuffle($Temp,1)
    IniWriteSection("RandomizeTemp.ini","Videos",$Shuffle); reads Videos.ini and populates $Temp with the data
    MsgBox(0,"RandomizeTemp",$Shuffle,0)

It outputs a 1 in the msgbox and no longer writes the 1 to RandomizeTemp.

If you don't have sections defined than your ini file is not a real ini. 

Example ini

[Version] <--- section name is always in square brackets
beta=v3.3.11.5  <--- key and its value
Production=v3.3.10.2  <--- key and its value

If so than you can simply use file functions.

Br,

UEZ

That's what I want to do. Why was / am I getting a 1 ort a -1 as an output to the iniread and fileread functions?

OK I've narrowed it down to the second line

$Temp = FileRead("Videos.ini")
    $Shuffle = _ArrayShuffle($Temp,0)
    ;FileWrite("RandomizeTemp.ini",$RandomizeTemp); reads Videos.ini and populates $Temp with the data
    MsgBox(0,"RandomizeTemp",$Shuffle)

$Shuffle = _ArrayShuffle($Temp,0)

This line is what is producing the -1 or 1 depending on what I am doing. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by computergroove

Try this:

#include <Array.au3>

CreateRandomTemp()

Func CreateRandomTemp()
    Local $2D_Array = StringSplitW(FileRead(@ScriptDir & "\Video.ini"), "=")
;~  _ArrayDisplay($2D_Array)
    Shuffle_Array($2D_Array)
;~  _ArrayDisplay($2D_Array)
    Local $hFile = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "\RandomizeTemp.ini", 2)
    FileWrite($hFile, _Array2DToString($2D_Array, "="))
    FileClose($hFile)
EndFunc

Func _Array2DToString($array, $sDelimiter = ";") ;coded by UEZ 2014
    If Not IsArray($array) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    If UBound($array, 0) > 2 Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0) ;up to 2D arrays only
    Local $iW, $iH, $sString
    For $iH = 0 To UBound($array) - 1
        For $iW = 0 To UBound($array, 2) - 1
            $sString &= $array[$iH][$iW] & $sDelimiter
        Next
        $sString = ($iH < UBound($array) - 1) ? StringTrimRight($sString, 1) & @CRLF : StringTrimRight($sString, 1)
    Next
    Return $sString
EndFunc

; #FUNCTION# ========================================================================================================================================
; Name .................:   StringSplitW()
; Description ..........:   Splits  a string into columns instead of rows as it is done by SplitString(), like a csv file to a 2d array ;-)
; Syntax ...............:   StringSplitW($sString, $sDelimiter, $iWidthLen)
; Parameters ...........:   $sString - string to split
;                           $sDelimiter - [optional] the delimter how to split the string
;                           $iWidthLen - [optional] length of the row (amount of columns - default is 100)
; Return values .......:    Success - 2d array
;                           Error 1 - either $sString or $delimter is not set
;                           Error 2 - array width exceeded
;                           Error 3 - error splitting string
;
; Version .............:    v0.93 build 2013-08-23 beta
; Author ..............:    UEZ
; Modified ............:
; Remarks .............:
; Related .............:    StringSplit()
; ===================================================================================================================================================
Func StringSplitW($sString, $sDelimiter = ";", $iWidthLen = 256)
    If $sString = "" Or $sDelimiter = "" Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Local $chk, $iWidth, $i, $j, $k, $iLen, $iMax = 1, $iMaxWidth
    Local $aPos[1], $l = 0
    Local $aSplit =  StringSplit(StringStripCR($sString), @LF)
    If @error Then Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
    Local $aVertical[$aSplit[0]][$iWidthLen], $iDelimiterLen = StringLen($sDelimiter) - 1
    For $k = 1 To $aSplit[0]
        $iLen = StringLen($aSplit[$k])
        If $iLen > 1 Then
            $chk = StringReplace($aSplit[$k], $sDelimiter, $sDelimiter)
            $iWidth = @extended
            If $iWidth > $iWidthLen Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
            If $iWidth >= $iMax Then $iMax = $iWidth + 1
            Switch $iWidth
                Case 0
                    $aVertical[$l][0] = $aSplit[$k]
                Case Else
                    Dim $aPos[$iWidth * 2 + 2]
                    $j = 1
                    $aPos[0] = 1
                    For $i = 0 To $iWidth - 1
                        $aPos[$j] = StringInStr($aSplit[$k], $sDelimiter, 0, $i + 1) - 1
                        $aPos[$j + 1] = $aPos[$j] + 2 + $iDelimiterLen
                        $j += 2
                    Next
                    $aPos[UBound($aPos) - 1] = StringLen($aSplit[$k])
                    $j = 0
                    For $i = 0 To UBound($aPos) - 1 Step 2
                        $aVertical[$l][$j] = StringMid($aSplit[$k], $aPos[$i], $aPos[$i + 1] - $aPos[$i] + 1)
                        $j += 1
                    Next
                EndSwitch
                $l += 1
        EndIf
    Next
    ReDim $aVertical[$l][$iMax]
    Return $aVertical
EndFunc

; #FUNCTION# ======================================================================================
; Name ................:    Shuffle_Array()
; Version .............:    v0.50 build 2011-05-24 beta
; Description .......:  Shuffles an array - support 1D and 2D arrays only
; Syntax ..............:    Shuffle_Array(ByRef $array, $startindex = 0, $endindex = 0)
; Parameters ........:  $array - the array to shuffle
;                               $startindex = from which index to start the shuffling
;                               $endindex = to which index to start the shuffling; 0 means last index of the array
; Return values ....:   True
;                               Failure 1 - $array is not an array
;                               Failure 2 - array has more than 2 dimensions
;                               Failure 3 - array is empty
;                               Failure 4 -  $startindex / $endindex are set wrongly
; Author ..............:    UEZ
; Modified ............:
; Remarks ............:
; Related ..............:   Array
; =================================================================================================
Func Shuffle_Array(ByRef $array, $startindex = 0, $endindex = 0)
    If UBound($array, 0) > 2 Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
    If UBound($array) = 1 Then Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
    Local $u1
    If Not $endindex Then
        $u1 = UBound($array) - 1
    Else
        If $endindex > $startindex And $endindex < UBound($array) Then
            $u1 = $endindex
        Else
            Return SetError(4, 0, 0)
        EndIf
    EndIf
    If UBound($array, 2) Then
        Local $aSwap[1][UBound($array, 2)], $u2 = UBound($array, 2) - 1
        Local $i, $j, $r
        For $i = $startindex To $u1
            $r = Random($startindex, $u1, 1)
            For $j = 0 To $u2
                $aSwap[0][$j] = $array[$i][$j]
                $array[$i][$j] = $array[$r][$j]
                $array[$r][$j] = $aSwap[0][$j]
            Next
        Next
    Else
        Local $aSwap[1]
        For $i = $startindex To $u1
            $r = Random($startindex, $u1, 1)
            $aSwap[0] = $array[$i]
            $array[$i] = $array[$r]
            $array[$r] = $aSwap[0]
        Next
    EndIf
    Return 1
EndFunc

Edit: fixed error check in function _ArrayToString2() and renamed it to _Array2DToString().

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

It erases the data in the RandomizeTemp.ini file and replaces it with a single Zero. Here is all my code so far.

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile=Test.exe
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

#include <GUIConstants.au3> 
#Include <File.au3> 
#Include <Array.au3> 
#include <string.au3>

Global $Videos ;File located in ScriptDir. User editable. Never deleted. Master list of barcodes and files associated with video files.
Global $RandomizeTemp ;File created by the program for the purpose of storing a random temporary list of video files to be played as a screen saver while the program waits for a barcode to be scanned
Global $Temp ;Temporary location for reading Videos.ini and manipulating the data for RandomizeTemp.ini and creating the links for the barcodes with the video files
Global $Paused ;Pause the script with the pause key on the keyboard
HotKeySet("{PAUSE}", "TogglePause") ;Ties the pause function to the Pause key
HotKeySet("{ESC}", "Terminate") ;Ties the exit program function to the ESC key

FileDelete("temp.ini");Deletes temp.ini so it can be recreated with current data

CreateRandomTemp()

Func CreateRandomTemp()
    Local $2D_Array = StringSplitW(FileRead(@ScriptDir & "\Video.ini"), "=")
    Shuffle_Array($2D_Array)
    Local $hFile = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "\RandomizeTemp.ini", 2)
    FileWrite($hFile, _ArrayToString2($2D_Array, "="))
    FileClose($hFile)
EndFunc

Func _ArrayToString2($array, $sDelimiter = ";") ;coded by UEZ 2014
    If Not UBound($array, 2) > 2 Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0) ;up to 2D arrays only
    Local $iW, $iH, $sString
    For $iH = 0 To UBound($array) - 1
        For $iW = 0 To UBound($array, 2) - 1
            $sString &= $array[$iH][$iW] & $sDelimiter
        Next
        $sString = ($iH < UBound($array) - 1) ? StringTrimRight($sString, 1) & @CRLF : StringTrimRight($sString, 1)
    Next
    Return $sString
EndFunc
;End CreateRandomTemp

Func TogglePause()
    $Paused = NOT $Paused
    While $Paused
        sleep(100)
        ToolTip('Script is "Paused"',0,0)
    WEnd
    ToolTip("")
EndFunc

Func Terminate()
    Exit 0
EndFunc
Edited by computergroove