Number? String?

How are these different?

$x = Number("3.14");returns 3.14 (do the quote marks make a difference?
what about $x = Number(3.14) ?

what about Number($aArray[$i] [$j]) ?

what about Number("$aArray[$i] [$j]") ? is that like the first one?

Read help files and a little confused.

I'm looking to check and ensure a field contains a number, NOT a string.

What is the best way to check this? Is it Number or StringIsDigit or something else? Should I use NOT in front of either one? The numbers in the file are decimals, so I have something like 32.55 which shows up as 32.55 but something like 20.00 shows up as 20.

Does that make a difference? i have coded different types of checking and depending upon what I use can get different results.

Edited by Melba23
Fixed ridiculous font tags

From what you described I would use IsNumber to check for strings and convert them to numbers if needed.

If Not IsNumber($x) Then $x = Number($x)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

Stoex,

You use Number on a string to return its numeric value:

$x = Number("3.14")  ; "3.14" is a string so you get the numeric value returned

$x = Number(3.14)    ; 3.14 is already a number so you do not need Number - but it still returns the value

$x = Number($aArray[$i][$j]) ; if the array value is a string this will return the numeric value

$x = Number("$aArray[$i][$j]")   ; but this will return 0 as you are asking for the numeric value of a string which does not start with a number
Number is useful when pulling in data which might be stored as a string - in an ini file for example - and making sure it is the right data format for what you are going to do with it. AutoIt tries its best to help you but some times you need to specify - that is why there are functions like Number & String to force the issue. ;)

If you need to pad decimal values then you can use StringFormat to do this - but that converts the data to a string and so you might need Number to use it subsequently. :wacko:

You say you want to check a field and ensure it contains a number and not a string. From where do you get this field content? Your script? Another app? Why must it be in number format? A little more info might be useful here. :)

M23

Edit: Please stick to the standard font and use code tags to colour code - see here how to do it. ;)

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Melba23

Well the source of the data would typically be from a csv file.

Expected data for example would be:

part, quantity, style, price

or

ABC, 123, 456, 34.95

I would want to always check to ensure the second and third and fourth data fields are numeric.

That way if style was keyed as XYZ in the third field, I could catch it.  The fourth field would be necessary to ensure math operations or sorting.  This is all baby steps for me at this point but I need to learn it right.

Thanks.

ps i checked the standards page you suggested;didn't know it existed.

• Moderators

Stoex,

From that I understand that you are capturing these values in your own GUI. I suggest you use the $ES_NUMBER style for those inputs which need to hold numeric input. If you require decimal input then we need to become a little more complex, but that is a bridge to cross when required. ;)

As to code tags - now you do know they exist, so please use them. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Melba23

First - $ES_NUMBER  ?????  I looked in the help file and could not find this. Found Number long ago.

Also, since I would be needing decimal values, what would change or how should I proceed?  I took it that 3.14 would be returned that way.

So here is what I was thinking about doing.  Populate the array, assigning numeric value to col 4, checking if col 4 is numeric and if not assign X's to the element.

For $i = 0 To UBound($aAmericanLog,1)-1
 for $j = 0 to UBound($aAmericanLog,2) -1

$aAmericanLog [$i] [4] = number($aAmericanLog [$i] [4])
 if not IsNumber($aAmericanLog [$i] [4])  Then
   $aAmericanLog [$i] [4] ="XXX"

EndIf

Next
Edited by Stoex

• Moderators

Stoex,

And I am supposed to offer help based on that? How does $aAmericanLog get filled? :wacko:

If you want help, at least give us a chance! I restate my original questions: ;)

From where do you get this field content? Your script? Another app? Why must it be in number format? A little more info might be useful here

M23

Spoiler

It gets populated by reading in a CSV file. CSV file is not created by me. Data within the file includes alpha fields like in my example and also numeric fields which are used in calculations. Since I can "expect" data to be given to me in a certain format (ie commas in the correct places), I have to prepare for possible misplaced commas that could therefore shift data over in columns and thus a column that expects numeric may now get an alpha field.

In the above code, column 4 expects data to be numeric, but I had a case where a misplaced comma by the creator of the CSV file place an alpha field there for that record.  

• Moderators

Stoex,

You might want to look at the rewritten _FileReadToArray function in the latest Beta. It will error if you try to read in a CSV file with a missing delimiter - that will warn you that there is a problem and you can then look more closely at the CSV file to determine where the problem lies. Let me know if you are interested and we could work up something to do just that. ;)

As to determining the "numericity" of one of the fields, I see a problem in that all the fields will no doubt be read in as strings so that using IsNumber will not work. One way to go is to see if the value contains only digits (and perhaps a decimal point). We could easily do that via a RegEx:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Global $aArray[4] = ["Alpha String", "AlphaNumeric 3.142 String", "3.142", "Alpha String"] ; Only [2] is a valid number

For $i = 0 To 3
    If StringRegExp($aArray[$i], "^\d*\.?\d*$") Then
        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Element " & $i, $aArray[$i] & @CRLF & " is a Number")
    Else
        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Element " & $i, $aArray[$i] & @CRLF & " is not a number")
    EndIf
Next
SRE Decode:

^      - start at the beginning of the string and 
\d*    - look for a possible group of digits,
\.?    - then perhaps a decimal point,
\d*    - followed by another group of digits
$      - immediately followed by the end of the string
That should solve the immediate problem for you. :)

M23

Spoiler

Thanks M23 - great insight. Tried your example and my thoughts then turned to adding some more data to your example. Here are the results and now can see why testing for a number or string may produce results that I did not understand why at the time.

Using your example I replaced the "3.142" as follows:

Data  Results

"3"      not

-3        not

3       is

"3"    is

"-3.142"   not

-3.142    not

3.142   is

3.0      is

-3.0     not

So forcing a decimal point or minus sign is my next area to conquer.

Edited by Stoex

• Moderators

Stoex,

Sorry, forgot about negatives. Just change the pattern to this: "^-?d*.?d*$" - then you also accept a unary minus. :)

M23

Edit:

Forgot about forcing the decimal places. use StringFormat as I suggested earlier - just change the #f to set the number of places you require:

$sString = "3"
ConsoleWrite(StringFormat("%.2f", $sString) & @CRLF)

$sString = "-3"

$sString = "3.1"
Edited by Melba23
Typo

Spoiler

This regular expression is a little more in your face.

^[+\-]?\d*\.?\d+e?[+\-]?\d*$

http://regex101.com/r/zY5lL2

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

A number number is a number.
While a string number is a brother from another mother.

So, I made this little function to ease the pain.

MsgBox(0, 'StringIsInt("8.5")', StringIsInt("8.5"));            0
MsgBox(0, 'StringIsDigit("8.5")', StringIsDigit("8.5"));        0
MsgBox(0, 'StringIsDigit(-8.5)', StringIsDigit(-8.5));          0
MsgBox(0, 'IsNumber("-8.5")', IsNumber("-8.5"));                0
;
MsgBox(0, '_StringIsNumber(-8.5)', _StringIsNumber(-8.5));      1
MsgBox(0, '_StringIsNumber("8.5")', _StringIsNumber("8.5"));    1
MsgBox(0, '_StringIsNumber("-8.5")', _StringIsNumber("-8.5"));  1
;
; v0.01b
Func _StringIsNumber($str = '')
    If StringLeft($str, 1) == '-' Then
        $str = StringTrimLeft($str, 1)
    EndIf
    $str = StringReplace($str, '.', '')
    If @extended < 2 Then
        Return StringIsDigit($str)
    EndIf
EndFunc
;

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

You're missing a return if @extended is 2 or greater.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

You're missing a return if @extended is 2 or greater.

I don't think so. Return is either 1 or 0.

Unless, you have something else in mind?

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

Wrong, return can be whatever the dev wants it to be.

Return StringIsDigit($str)
    EndIf
; <<<<<< HERE
EndFunc

Don't rely on AutoIt's default of returning 0, be exclusive in stipulating 0 is returned.

UDF List:

I doubt the function default return of zero will ever change.

And there would be no reason for it anyways.

But if it does, it would be no problem to adjust it.

I doubt the function default return of zero will ever change.

AutoIt coders shouldn't rely on undocumented features. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

The default return from a function is an undocumented feature?

Sounds like "someone" needs to document it then!

okay, I'm outta here........

Sounds like "someone" needs to document it then!

How about no. But thanks for your suggestion anyway.

UDF List: